1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time For A New Setup - Amp Recommendation Needed!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Kuni D, Jul 6, 2003.

1. Kuni D

Kuni D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hey guys n gals, need a bit of advice, hoping all you guru's can help :)

Due to my current circumstances, I have to be in Bristol a lot (half and half between home). I've taken my B&W 602.5, Sony FA5ES amp and Marantz CD6000OSE with me to Bristol, although I want to setup another HC there, as I spend quite a lot of time there. I don't want to spend a fortune, so I'm going for bang for buck - going to sell the amp (nooo not my precious amp) and the CD player to fund it in part. The speakers will remain as front channels.

I'd like all the new formats flying around SS wise, progressive scan and support for DVDA/SACD etc. Here's what I'm thinking so far - (so if some of this stretches beyond the bounds of the amp forum, but thats my main concern out the new setup :) )

Panasonic PT-AE100 Projector (hit or miss, but at 595 inc VAT, hard to resist)
    Pioneer DV656A (Only qualm here is lack of PS - so looking for similar w PS, for similar price... yea thought so not likely)
    Amp?
    B&W 602.5 as front channels
    B&W LCR60 as center
    B&W 600 (possibly 601, if I can spare the cash) as rear

For the amp... I'm looking to spend around 400-500, and would definitely consider exdemo/2nd hand if I can get something higher end.

I've not been keeping up with whats new, so I've got a lot of research to do, in the mean time recommendations to get me started would be welcome :) I've got a Denon 2801 back home, so not sure if I want another Denon (although I did spot a 3802 on ebay for £440!) - what other manu's? Arcam, Rotel, Marantz

2. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    What is your priority AV or Stereo?

As for the DVD Player Do You Need All the formats now? I do Believe that good Universal Players are going to come way down in price in a year or less, I am waiting till Marantz produce an affordable version of the DV8300 so I can replace my CD and DVD Player with one unit.

3. Kuni D

Kuni D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    AV

After having a think, priorities for a DVD player - obviously play the DVD-V ;) Progressive Scan, good support for VCD/SVCD's and DVD-R's, decent DAC, (will be flogging my Marantz CD6000-OSE as well).... SACD and DVD-A would come further down the list, although it would be nice to have em. (I'm budgeting £300 for the DVD player, and the Pio 656A is perfect, but lack of PS is holding me back)

4. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Listen to The Marantz Amplifiers Although they are more respected for stereo than AV I have no issues in either.

5. Kuni D

Kuni D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Right now my amp "comparison/to test" list comprises of....

Marantz SR7300 and the Pioneer VSX-D2011 (The more I read about this one the more I like - although it's beyond my budget at £680, I might make an exception!)

A Pioneer duo (2011 / DV656A) coupled with a Tosh 32ZD26P could be in the works me thinks...

6. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You could save some money on the VSXD2011 and opt for the VSXd1011 - which is supposedly the same receiver with one or two luxury features taken off.

No gripes with the DV656A, but if you want Prog Scan try the Philips DVD963SA (around £300), Toshiba SD520E (£150 from Richer Sounds), or Denon DVD2800MKII (£349 from PRC Direct).