Time for a new projector after 11 years - Help?

vicbarry

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, it's been quite a long time since I posted here, but anyway, hope you're all well.

The other day my Sony Cineza VPL-HS20 wouldn't fire the bulb. So, I did what I usually did, and that was turn it off at the plug (probably the issue) and it wouldn't come back on. No lights, nothing. I tried removing the lamp, air filter etc. but still nothing. Long story short, after 11 odd years of wonderful service (and only 1 lamp replacement) I'm now thinking of biting the bullet and getting a new projector, instead of getting what I expect, is the power supply replaced. But, I've been out of the loop for a bit, so not entirely sure what to get.

I'd love to go for another Sony, but they're a bit outside my budget at the moment. So I'm looking at spending in or around €1000. I'm not entirely worried about 3D (It'd be nice I guess) but I would be looking for decent picture quality.

And yes, I'm starting to do my research, but it's hard to know where to start after so long, so if anybody has any suggestions on projectors I would really appreciate it.

Ironically enough, part of me is thinking of going down the TV route. While I have a dedicated cinema room with 82" screen, the 65" and 75" TVs may be a more practical investment and I'd imagine I'd get slightly better picture quality too. But, again, I'm just kinda at a loss at the moment, and really disappointed that my faithful old projector friend has gone to the cinema in the sky.

In theory the below 1k€ range is very easy, if you don't suffer from RBE you buy Benq W1070 and if it affects you then you need to buy Epson 5210. And you still have money for a bigger screen, both give much bigger image from a distance that that old Sony needs for 82".

(At sub 1k€ price range choices are Benq, Epson and Optoma.)

Thanks for the reply. Certainly a starting point, although I can see RBE a mile off, so the Benq is out. Will take a look into the Epson!

When can we expect reviews of the 5210 or even the EH-TW5300 or 5350? Soon I'd expect?

Ah, that's useful. Cheers! Looks good, pity about the black levels as mentioned in the review, although I'd imagine they are still leaps and bounds ahead of my old HS20

You could get the new version of yours, the Sony hw40es. It's more than a grand but it's a good projector. Treat yourself!

pity about the black levels as mentioned in the review, although I'd imagine they are still leaps and bounds ahead of my old HS20

I know that I'm in minority but I think that every new projector has good enough black levels and you should worry about other things. As I have wrote in previous threads here I worry much more about shadow detail, I have never noticed problems with black level (with cheap old projectors) while watching a movie but shadow detail in dark scenes has caused problems.

If you do consider TW5300 (or 5210) screen size calculator can be found on Epsons web page, seems to be quite different throw range compared to Sony HS20.
ThrowDistanceCalculator

I know that I'm in minority but I think that every new projector has good enough black levels and you should worry about other things. As I have wrote in previous threads here I worry much more about shadow detail, I have never noticed problems with black level (with cheap old projectors) while watching a movie but shadow detail in dark scenes has caused problems.

If you do consider TW5300 (or 5210) screen size calculator can be found on Epsons web page, seems to be quite different throw range compared to Sony HS20.
ThrowDistanceCalculator

Yeah. I saw that alright. I could get a 100" image from the Epson (if I'm reading things right ) and those earlier reviews you posted seemed to be positive enough on shadow detail. To be honest getting a bigger image compared to the 82" I had is a big draw.

I was thinking "wow, how is it possible for any AVForum member to stick with an old projector for so long?"

But then, this would explain it:

Your attitude toward black levels is clearly good for your pocket book. ;-)

You could get the new version of yours, the Sony hw40es. It's more than a grand but it's a good projector. Treat yourself!

Id love to, but it's a bit out of my immediate reach at the moment. Still though food for thought :(

Your attitude toward black levels is clearly good for your pocket book. ;-)

It's not my attitude toward black level, it's my wallets attitude towards upgrading. I was planning on buying a CRT projector in the 90s, I got it about ten years ago when everyone else were buying LCD projectors (that were not very good). At some point I had to decide that it takes too much space from living room and since I didn't have extra room to convert as a home theatre I had to replace it with used LCD projector (that cost me 0€) which lead to the situation where I didn't want to watch Blu-rays at home but instead at dads place with better projector. So technically it's about as long time as with thread starter for my previous purchase which is why I could justify (with help of local bank) new Sony HW55 that played its first film Saturday.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom