Time for a new mobile, any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by Nismotronic, Sep 20, 2007.

1. Nismotronic

Nismotronic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi , Any help would be appreciated. I'm just about to start rooting around to try and find out if the phone I'm after exists.

I don't think I'm asking for too much...

I own a K800i on Virgin uk just now.

(1) Good camera
    The cam on my Cybershot is good enough at 3.2mp.

(2) Mobile t.v
    As far as I know so far you need a 3g phone for this. Id especially like the Sky t.v, I think its avail on Vodafone or Orange but I might be wrong?

(3) Wifi Internet
    Id really like a nice big screen with the proper internet that I can hook upto routers in several locations. Would be good to have the plug ins etc so get the full experience. I got pretty excited when I found a Nokia n800 but eventually realised it wasnt a phone! DOH!

Think thats about it , I thought about the Iphone for a bit but not being 3g I guess t.v is out of the question. Also I heard it doesnt have flash either. Also the cam is a bit weak. Lastly Im really not bothered about music.

Also considered the N95 but the screens very small and a pain to use and my girlfriends N95 keeps crashing all the time.

Thanks for your time :)

2. ianeb

ianeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +989
    Hey,

Not sure there is much out there at present that matches all your requirements.

You say the N95 screen is too small! It's one of the largest screens you can get on a mobile at present, without buying one of those PDA/mobiles. It's far larger and superior to the K800i screen. I would agree that the software isn't brilliant, I own an N73 and the software is pretty rubbish.

The LG Prada is pretty decent but not sure it has Wifi though.

Here are some choices that have wifi: Nokia E61, Nokia E65, Nokia 6085 and Nokia N95. These phones may be more along the lines of what you require large sccreen etc Orange SPV E650, Orange SPV E3100 and Sony Ericsson P1 all very nice phones and all apparently have Wifi.

Best of luck :D Let me know what you pick as I will soon be in the same boat as you looking for similar specs :thumbsup:

3. 3T3L1

3T3L1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    I'm in the same boat, am keeping my K800i for the moment and am waiting for the N81/82 and K850i to come out and get some feedback on.

To be honest, if I got a good deal, I would renew for a new K800i (joystick on mine is getting a bit hit and miss) as it's been the best phone I've owned for ages...

4. Nismotronic

Nismotronic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Totally agree with you DDS , Im pretty happy with the k800i as its been really reliable but I am also suffering from the joystick problem! Have to press it very hard to get any response.

Been having a good look as Ianeb's suggestions and its been very helpful. Would like to stick with S.E if I can but the P1... Man thats an ugly phone! Specs look good though and like the big screen. Kinda liked the 990i better looks wise though. Touch screen is a must I think. Thats one of the downsides of the N95 I think. My girlfriend has just got a replacement N95 as the other was crashing all the time but the new one seems ok.

5. 3T3L1

3T3L1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    I found that by taking a needle and running it very carefully round the joystick housing it knocks loose most of the dust etc that builds up there. It does make it a lot better.

Obviously do this at your own risk.

I like the look of the N95 and I would think that the 8Gb edition may be more stable. I'm still going to wait for the pre-Christmas rush of new phones to hit the market.

With any luck loads of people buying iPhones will force the prices down/better deals

6. ianeb

ianeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +989
    I agree with you all. Current crop of phones not that exciting.

N95 has all the features/gadgets but poorly implemented imo. Software is awful and crashes too much for such an expensive phone. Just like my N73.

Some great phones coming out soon. I will NOT be going for an Iphone, Apple are being very stupid with this phone, locking it to O2 and threatening to block any phone that is unlocked!! Crazy, what happened to rights as buyers?

I think I will return to SE when the K850i drops in October, the K800i was very popular and a very stable, reliable phone compared to Nokia N73/N95.