Time for a new DVD player - Hi def or not?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Stampax, Jun 4, 2005.

1. Stampax

Stampax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    My DVD player is ready for replacing (about 4 years old now, and struggling with certain discs) so was thinking of replacing it with a bit of new technology.
    So should I go for a Hi-def DVD player, (which i belive are available now??) or wait for blue ray player.
    Am i right in thinking that if i get a hi def DVD player it does play current DVD's and will also play Hi-def DVD's - not that there are any of these out yet? And will it make my current DVD's look better if i play them on a HD plasma?

Or have i just got the totally wrong idea and clearly dont know what i'm talking about? :suicide:

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    What are you connecting to???You pay a huge premium for an HD DVD player, and they will get better and cheaper suggest you pick up a superduper DVD player for a bargain price, pity some of the best bargains like Arcam DV88+ for £400 have all gone

3. Stampax

Stampax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Will be connecting to a plasma, but dont know which yet, but one that is hi-def ready. Didn't want tp sned hundreds on a new player, but didnt want to connect a 30 quid cheapo to it either......

4. dbeamish

dbeamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    just get a samsung 945 - under 150 quid and i believe they up scale to HD resolutions. You can't have a proper HD player yet since there are no HD DVDs out yet. 150 quid or so should be fine esp if yo uahve a digital video input on your plasma.

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    And exactly what is the point in a DVD player that scales to HD res? Why have a digital output? dont waste your money on HDMI/DVi players unless you Buy a Pio FDE/XDE plasma stick to a good component player

6. av addict

av addict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    ok hornydragon so what would you recommend for best component connection then
    under £250-i will be getting 37 in 500 series panny-component or hdmi
    -is it waste of time going for hdmi player that will upscale to 720

cheers

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    PRoblem is the pickings are very slim at the sub £500 price range secondhand is the way to go Denon 2900, Arcam DV88+ etc if you can find one Tosh SD900 and 9000, some of the older pio and Sony units however if it has to be new and supprot recorded discs -RW etc. HK DVD31, (DVD 30 is so much better or pick up a 25, 2550 cheap), Sony 955, NAD T562, Cambridge Audio AZUR 540D, denon DVD-1400, Onkyo DV-SP502E Onkyo would be top of my list if i could find one anywhere................. the onkyo, denon and CA would be top of my demo list but a 2900 or DV88+ would demolish any of them for DVD and CD replay

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Only if it can scale better than your £2k plasma which would be quite a feat for a £250 DVD player..............

£100 BARGAIN http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217465

9. av addict

av addict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    ok cheers hornydragon a few things to think about then and a few more headacres to give myself :eek:

10. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I sorta agree with your sentiment here.

Upscaling has to happen somewhere if you have for example a WXGA display. So what's the big deal about it happening in the DVD player?

The main attraction of DVI/HDMI is the removal of D->A->D stages, but even this doesn't guarantee an improvement over a decent component deck.

At £100 it's nice to dabble with one of these Sammy's, but really we're p1$$ing in the wind until real HD decks appear. And for decent cable runs, paying as much again for the privelege.

And I'm a fully paid up member of the Samsung 745 DVI club. Very nice PQ, but I can do a quick A/B comparison on an 83" screen with a Pio 575 via component and it quickly brings things into perspective...PJ :thumbsup:

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    its marketing BS and people swallow it right up.............................

12. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    ...and the result is some of the conversations for example on the 850 thread... People genuinely believe that if someone says their HDMI/DVI PQ isn't as good as their old component deck, it must be a fault with the cable... or something.

I can well believe someone buying a Sammy 745/945/850/950, plugging it in, and going "wow - amazing, must be the HDMI/DVI thing - must tell everyone" when it's actually more likely that their previous experience was a thirty quid piece of cr@p from their local supermarket, and anything decent would be a massive improvement....PJ :)

13. dbeamish

dbeamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    so.. a 3,4 or 500 quid DVD player is going to have a better DAC than the screen?

I assumed that since its a digital signal it wouldn't really matter too much what was used to get the data off the disc and digitally feed itto the screen?

14. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    nope its not really anything to do with that is far more to do with signal processing, there are very few manufacturers and designers with the experience with digital signals analogue signal processing very very hard but the are very good at it, digital isnt all that digital is used to do things cheaply, not better we live in an analogue world not a quantized, sampled and compressed digital one...........................

15. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    sensible advice on the scaling DVD players, leave it to the plasma (or an external video processor), the scaling thing is really cheap additional function on a chip and not generally a quality solution. I have yet to find a single 'upscaling' player I think is worth running upscaled.

16. williamtassone

williamtassone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    NIC
    I have heard rumours that even if a signal is fed into a plasma/ LCD via HDMI/DVI there is still a digital to analogue conversion that occurs inside the TV.Apparently this "allows" the pixel to "glow" at the right colour gradation.
    ANyone know better? :hiya:

" i went down that river once when I was a kid."

17. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    I agree with PJ. Just go through the 850 thread. I've cancelled my 950 because the thread, and my last weekend trials, has made me realise just how inconsistent and varied peoples views are with the new 850. It's impossible to know who, or what's, correct.