Time for a change

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by AV Geeza, Jan 18, 2008.

1. AV Geeza

AV Geeza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi guys,

I used to be on these forums a lot back in the days but having not been around so I feel I need some advice and opinions.
    I have a Fujitsu 42VHA30ES that has served me well over the years but I now feel the need for a 50" HD screen as I have various source components that Im not getting the best out of.

I was thinking of staying with Fujitsu and getting a P50XHA58EB as I know that this is a quality screen but the recent news about Fujitsu withdrawing from the plasma market means that these screens are like gold dust and very difficult to get hold of.

I will still look for one but was wondering what else is out there that is comparable?
    The Pioneer KURO screens seem to be getting good press but are these as good as the Fujitsu's?
    I would be interested to particularly hear from anyone who demo'd the two and the reasons for their eventual choice.

Thanks in advance.

2. YellowSphere

YellowSphere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +471
    People who've seen the two demo'd seem to perfer the fujis...

3. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    As a current Fujitsu owner you know how good their screens are :) The P50XHA58EB would have been the natural replacement for your current screen but, sadly, you will be very lucky to get one.

I declare an interest, I am a Fujitsu dealer (not much use now!). Whilst I am gutted that Fujitsu have pulled out of the market there are alternatives. The Pioneer LX508D is the obvious choice. It is good but like the Fujitsu not perfect (not that perfection is ever attainable).

Part of the decision process may depend on exactly what sources you have. Many of the current leading plasmas look great with high definition material but do less well with standard definition sources. The Fujitsus excelled with standard def as well as being great with high def thanks to the very clever AVM2 technology (much the same as expensive external video processors but not quite) included in the XHA58EB screens.

The new Pioneers are good. I regret that Fujitsu is no longer an option. There just may be another class leading option coming from a manufacturer who are currently well known on the high street for
    entry level plasmas ;)

4. AV Geeza

AV Geeza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Piers,

A name I remember! Are MAW, Gordon & Liam still around?
    Thanks for your reply.
    I am hoping that I can still pick the Fujitsu up even if it is an ex-dem one with very low hours.

Are you saying that the Pioneer LX508D (which is full HD resolution I believe) is the closest screen in picture quality to the Fujitsu?

As regards to sources well I have a Meridian G98 DVD player and a PS3. TV viewing comes from a Virgin Media SD box but will be moving over to the dark side (Sky HD) in the near future.
    SD performance is a big issue for me as I obviously watch more SD material so its good to hear that the Fujitsu still performs well in this area.

Do the Fujitsu's still have problems with banding?

Thanks in advance.

5. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    We are all still around :)

The Pioneer is the closest to the Fujitsu in my opinion.

Banding - guessing you mean posterisation - sorry, not trying to be clever, but don't want people getting the wrong idea - big block of solid colour which should be a big block of solid colour except it isn't. It varies either with intensity or colour. Well calibrated Fujitsus reduced this to the point that it wasn't an issue IMO.

6. AV Geeza

AV Geeza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    You being clever Piers? Surely not! ;)

Yes I did mean posterisation but I couldn't be bothered to type it. :D

Many thanks for your help.