1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time delay between Amp and Screen

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by djt2711, Jan 24, 2005.

1. djt2711

djt2711

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am wondering if any of you technical gurus can help me. I have a new 42" plasma from LG, and I have a DVD player, VCR and Cable set-top feeding into it via scart. The inputs all have a seperate audio connection to my Yamaha DSP amp. My problem is that when I have the audio coming through my amp - it isn't fully in synch with the visual on the screen. If I have sound via the screen it is ok. The delay seems to vary for no apparent reason.

Any idea of cause or suggested solution would be gratefully received.

Many thanks

2. happyhiker

happyhiker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    This is often because it takes the plasma a slight time to display the image, by which time the audio has already played.

One simple solution which sometimes works is to lie about the distance from your centre speaker. Make the distance shorter, the amp will then compensate for the short distance by delaying the sound.

Better still if you amp has a delay option use this.

Otherwise you need some special piece of kit that delays the sound. Can't remember what they are called but they cost about £100.

3. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Your amp may have audio delay feature built in if it's a recent model. Otherwise you need a little black box to delay your audio too. Felston do a little digital one, Behringer DSP2024 (I think thats the code) can delay analogue audio (but it's a pig to setup and hardly a pretty thing to own).

Bear in mind Sky TV is inhenrently out of sync, by a different amount for different stations! You will get a happy medium but there will always be the odd show that is slightly out

4. timc3

timc3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have just delayed my DVD player by about 15ms and now it looks much better.