Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Apple Forum' started by py6km, Jan 18, 2008.

1. py6km

py6km

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Some of you may remember that around the beginning of last month I bought an Airport Extreme Base Station and 500GB Iomega Minimax HDD, the idea being that my Macs would be able to wirelessly access the HDD as it can couple to the AEBS, and also so that I could connect some printers up to the HDD (which has a hub).

Well, initially, it worked, kind of. After some fiddling, it seemed to work better. However, I've discovered that the combination (in fact, probably any combination of AEBS and external HDD plugged into it) is not a sound combination.

The connection with the HDD over the wireless link is flakey to say the least, and it is not possible to (validly) use Time Machine to wirelessly back up.

I was pretty fed up after having forked out over 200 quid, but I decided to stick with it in the hope that a patch would be released to fix the problems.

To my surprise, when looking through some of the things announced at Mac World, I spotted the Time Capsule: an AEBS with an integrated server standard HDD designed specifically for the tasks I had in mind. I was pretty p*ssed off to be honest, but it's always the way that as soon as you get something, something better/upgraded is released.

Anyway, I've had good service from Apple before, so I gave them a call - I spoke with numerous very helpful people. The upshot is that they've made an exception to their normal 14 day returns period (I bought 12 Dec and called yesterday), and given me a full refund for my AEBS and the HDD, and are sending me a Time Capsule as soon as they ship (the nice lady has even taken my new order number so she can expedite my new order).

I explained that the combination I had before was not working as I expected - they actually admitted that this kind of functionality simply did not work (although I don't know if it will; the cynic in me thinks that maybe it didn't work so because Time Capsule was coming out).

So, if you recently bought this or a similar combo, see if you can get it changed (if you're unhappy). I'm supremely impressed (again) with the Apple service I've received.

2. Member 79251

Member 79251
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,187
    This is one thing pushing me to get a mac, the staff and support. Nice work maybe you can give some feedback when you get it. :smashin:

3. py6km

py6km

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Will do - I just hope it works as well as it's supposed to