time capsule

Discussion in 'Apple Forum' started by toon master, Aug 30, 2012.

1. toon master

toon master

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Relatively new to mac so bear with me...

I've managed to get a time capsule at a good price and have followed the instructions.
    Q- do I need to run an ethernet cable from the capsule and the router at all times?

I did to set it up but my virgin router is another room so I've now taken it out.
    I now have the flashing amber on.

I dont actually need to use the time capsule as a network as my virgin router works absolutely fine. I only need to really use it as a back up to my mac and macbook really.

2. CamFire

CamFire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    Yes, if you want continuous, un-interrupted connections to your internet while having on-demand access to your TC without having to switch networks. Your Macs will detect the network from your virgin router as well as the one the TC may be generating. What most people do is set up the TC in "bridge mode", wire up the TC to the router, and shut down the router's wireless network (if preferred). Bear in mind the TC can be capable of 300Mbps while the router at 130Mbps (or less, depending on the model) and therefore, there is some benefit.

3. toon master

toon master

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Thanks camfire. I think I understand-

So I could leave the time capsule in the other room and wire it up to the router. So My iMac/macbook would still pick it up from there I guess?
    I would then disable my current network connection and coonect to the new one the time capsule creates?

4. CamFire

CamFire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    If the TC is physically not too far from the virgin router, then wirelessly speaking, there is negligible difference - apart from the speed bump mentioned. I would place the TC next to the router, TBH. Remember - the router is still needed for that broadband connection to your ISP and you're just using the TC to "bridge" to your router, while having both both TC's features and internet simultaneously.

5. Recall

Recall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Your best bet is to turn the Superhub in to modem mode and let the time capsule handle the wireless.

6. toon master

toon master

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Havent had chance to do anything today. Will 'have a play' tomorrow!

I have had so many problems with broadband in the past that I dont want to mess up my connection. That is the critical thing.
    If that was the case then I would hope to use the capsule as external backup only! (albeit an expensive one!)

7. CamFire

CamFire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    I can concur with you - so leaving the TC in "bridge-mode" and then connecting via its wireless network is the most transparent approach to your existing setup.

8. toon master

toon master

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Well i have placed the capsule next to the virgin superhub. I have connected them through ethernet.

I can connect wirelessly now through my original virgin connection and through the connection created when setting up the time capsule.
    I didn't really want the capsule in the other room (it is the partners dressing room, dont think she'll appreciate it!) as it looked a lot nicer next to my iMac in the office!

Thanks for the help guys.

9. bpsmith

bpsmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +709
    You would be better off disabling the SuperHub's wifi and using the TC solely. They will otherwise be competing for signal strength and it's pointless having two wifi options say next to each other anyway.

10. CamFire

CamFire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    The two wireless network won't be competing in signal strength as - if configured correctly - they are occupying different channels and different bands. The TC will use the 5GHz and the virgin the 2.4GHz.

11. bpsmith

bpsmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +709
    I don't see the point of that as the TC can do both bands anyway. Makes more sense to just use the TC for WiFi.

12. CamFire

CamFire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    This may sound un-related but bear with me...

The AEBS/TC can support what is known as a Guest Network, effectively time-shared from the main wireless network but with limited access abilities, etc. Multiple SSIDs are broadcast from a single AEBS/TC, and your friends' Mac's can use this (limited) network for internet without the owner having to divulge the main network's private settings.

Unfortunately, this does NOT work with a certain android phone - and possibly many more others - even though the GuestNetwork SSID is visible. So much for technology advances...

In the end, I re-enabled the wireless network from my router/modem so that this android phone can connect. So, there you go - having to enable the AEBS/TC's wireless as well as the router's.

13. bpsmith

bpsmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +709
    Not sure why this has any relevance to the OP though? He hasn't mentioned a Guest network or an Android phone?

14. CamFire

CamFire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    I'm having an orgy with knowledge and experience, so you need not bother or pay attention.

15. bpsmith

bpsmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +709
    Lol. You certainly are, and not knocking you for suggesting different options as all relevant to people with new kit. It's just not the way I would like mine set up that's all. Doesn't mean it's not necessarily the best option for the OP mind you. :)

16. toon master

toon master

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    :laugh:Consider me baffled!

I suppose I could try disabling the superhubs wi-fi and see if it does have an impact.

17. CamFire

CamFire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    The day when someone asks to borrow your network connections, using another Mac, PC or phone, will be the time when you ask if the investment at that "good price" can give you more bang for your buck!

In the meantime, it is turning ON that superhub's wifi that generates the orgy :D ;)

18. bpsmith

bpsmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +709
    I am as confused as the OP on this one as the TC has BOTH 2.4GHz and 5GHz WiFi simultaneously so no need for a further signal to crowd that orgy your having!

19. NewfieDrool

NewfieDrool
    Suspended

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,154
    Is it not capable of 450 Mbps?

20. CamFire

CamFire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    Yea, you're right with all the correct hardware versions, including the Mac's used. 300Mbps has been around for quite a while - and I'm stuck with it. Time to talk to the missus about spanking new hardware...