Time Capsule & Virgin 50meg

Discussion in 'Apple Forum' started by MartinH32, Nov 28, 2010.

1. MartinH32

MartinH32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +803
    I'm thinking of getting a time capsule to backup from my macbook pro. I currently have a 50meg Virgin media connection running a modem connected to a dir-615 router. I understand the time capsule can replace the router.

Before I purchase I wonder if anyone can confirm the following:

1. TC will work with Virgin 50meg and the Virgin router. Or is the modern even now required with TC?

2. I understand I can plug a usb hard drive in the back of the time capsule and whilst this can't be used for backing up with time machine it can be accessed across the network. Can I plug a USB hub in the back and use multiple external hard disks? Also, can these be seen by any machine mac or pc on the network?

thanks
    Martin

2. CamFire

CamFire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +601
    1. The TC (or AEBS, for that matter) does not include any modem hardware - ADSL or cable. Therefore, your virgin modem is still required.

2. As per this sticky, the USB drive can be accessed via the network connections. There were a few posters who connected powered USB hubs for multiple external drives with no problems.

3. dingledow

dingledow
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    When you connect the TC directly to the Virgin router - you will need to go to the AirPort Utility on your Mac to set it up. The best way I have found to do this is to use the TC to extend your current network - you will see this option when setting up. So, keep the Virgin router and modem in place but use the TC to extend that network.

I'm not sure whether question 2 would work.