Time Capsule query.

Discussion in 'Apple Forum' started by Kev12, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Kev12

Kev12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    Hi, just got a new 2TB Time Capsule.
    I've configured it into my network in Bridge Mode, which I understand means it will create its own network from my Sky router.
    All fine, initial back up done via Ethernet, time capsule showing on my available networks on my iMac, iPhone and iPad.
    The problem is, although the iMac connects to the full strength tc signal and works fine, the iPhone and IPad will recognise and connect, but Safari or any other Internet app on them won't work properly.
    Safari just hangs with the blue loading bar 3/4 of the way across.
    If I go back to the Sky signal, all is fine.

I've tried turning off the wireless signal in the router but it's no better.
    Anyone help?

2. johnbusby

johnbusby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Any chance that you are only transmitting a wireless n signal that the iPhones cant connect to? Im away from my mac at the minute but you can change the type of signal (n,a,g etc) in the airport settings

Edit - sorry completely misread your post. No idea why this could be happening. Sounds like you have a connection to the time capsule but not to the internet. You are right to set it up as a bridge so Im not sure what is going on. I use a sky router with a TC so it certainly can work

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  3. Kev12

Kev12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    Strange how the iMac works but not the iDevices:confused:

4. NewfieDrool

NewfieDrool
    Suspended

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,154
    Is it the Ip addresses of the idevices that may be the problem?

5. Kev12

Kev12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    I've no idea, how can I tell?

6. NewfieDrool

NewfieDrool
    Suspended

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,154
    I have no idea :( however I am waiting delivery for 2 extremes and a TC and remembered a post I saw on apples support forum.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2453187?start=0&tstart=0

I think you have to check them under manual setup but have a read through the thread I linked too.
    Sadly I am not good with this network stuff and have been reading up on what I can in the hope when I set mine and a friends up I can do it without any problems. Damn I hope so, I'm too old for this techno stuff at the best of time.

Hope the link helps In some way.

7. mikelj

mikelj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    With the TC set to Bridge mode, the SKY router is performing the allocation of all IP addresses on the network; this must be working else you wouldn't be able to connect the iMac or idevices to the TC wifi. The fact that everything works when directly connected to the SKY router would suggest the problem lies in the TC, but I can't see how this would be the case. As far as the SKY router is concerned, I believe it would detect everything connected to it via the TC as wired regardless of how a device was actually connected to the TC. Are there any settings in the SKY router that are wifi/Ethernet specific that you can check.

Edit: What's the status of the TC - you can check this via the Airport utility on your iMac.

8. Kev12

Kev12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    Airport utility sees the TC, all looks normal, IP address etc looks ok.

Something else I've just noticed, the iMac won't hold on to the TC wireless signal. I can select it and it looks like its locked on, but check back a few minutes later and its on Sky!

Edit, just looked now and its still on TC, I don't know.....

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  9. Kev12

Kev12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    In Airport utility there are a couple of things I'd like to verify.

The page where it asks about the wireless network I've selected "create a wireless network". The other one I'm not sure about is "join a wireless network". The other two choices are for ethernet so don't matter. Have I selected the right one here?

The other thing I'm not sure about is the wireless security page where it asks for the Wireless Network Name, I've called it "Time Capsule", the the wireless security, which I've set as WPA2 Personal, then the one where I think I could have gone wrong is Wireless Password, I've put the password of my Sky wireless network. Is this right?

The next page is connect to the internet, I've selected Ethernet, then it says Configure IPv4 (?), I've put Using DHCP.

This look right, or have I boobed somewhere?

10. mikelj

mikelj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    I'm at work so I can't look at my TC setup, so unfortunately I'll have to go off memory (God help us!).

Firstly, how do you want to use the TC; do you wish to replace the SKY router's wifi with the TC. I would say yes, imo the TC wifi will be more reliable, so you would turn the SKY router's wifi off to prevent any possible interference (you could do that later though, it won't be an issue for setting up the TC).

On that assumption, you set the TC to Bridge mode and set to TC to Create a Wireless Network. You can set the name of the TC wireless network to anything you like and the password for the TC wireless network is again anything you like (you could use the same password as for the SKY router's wifi if you like).

In the TC Internet Settings set 'Connect Using' to 'Ethernet' and at the bottom, 'Connection Sharing' to 'Off (Bridge Mode).

Try that and see how you get on.

11. surfymark

surfymark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    I did this when I had Sky but I am no longer with them.

If I were you I would turn off the Sky Wifi first. I found it interfered a lot!

I would also check the IP address of all the devices. On the i devices, go into Wifi and then press the little arrow next to the network you are connected to.

The IP Address should be 192.168.x.xxx If it is 164.something then for some reason you are not being given a valid IP address for some reason. You may be able to force this by going to the Static page and putting in a valid IP address (without knowing your IP address range I am not sure what this would be).

If you get this far, post up your IP addresses and we may be able to help further.

M

12. Kev12

Kev12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    If you mean connect the iPhone and iPad to the TC network then check IP addresses as above, I'll do it tomorrow as I'm on nights tonight.

13. bpsmith

bpsmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +709
    Sounds like its not bridging the Sky ADSL signal to the TC and the above settings should sort that!

I bet you do get valid IP's from the TC, but they will be on a different range to the Sky Router as you are locked onto the signal from the TC. Add the fact that bridging is not set up and it will network all the devices that you connect to the TC but won't gain them access outside your LAN.

14. Kev12

Kev12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    Ok,

iPad connected to TC network says in network settings:

IP Address 192.168.0.3, and now it seems to work:confused::blush:

iPhone says 192.168.0.2 for the IP Address. And is now connected and working.

Not sure whats happened here cos I've not really altered anything. I checked what mikelj suggested, but it all looked right.
    Dunno:confused: Thanks to all who replied:smashin: