Time Capsule & External HD

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by tintin_57, Aug 17, 2013.

1. tintin_57

tintin_57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi

I have one of the new Apple Time Capsules which I am exclusively using for Time Machine backups of the two iMacs in the house. Connected to one of the iMacs I have a 2Tb external hard drive for storing home video, photos etc. Of course at the moment I can only access this when that iMac is switched on. Could I connect this drive to the back of the TimeCapsule instead and would that mean it is always on and available to my computers, Apple TV, PS3 etc etc?

Thanks
    TinTin

2. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,106
    No you cannot.

Apple NAS dont work with anything other than AFP (Mac) & SMB (PC) network shares.

There is no iTunes Homesharing service built it so it cant work with AppleTV's and there is no DLNA server so it cannot work with DLNA devices like PS3 or smart TV's etc.

Apple NAS should be avoided they are exceptionally poor value for money.

3. rousetafarian

rousetafarian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,198
    Apologies for bumping an old thread, but I have a question:

I currently have a 2Tb WD My Book Studio for the Mac attached to my iMac by FW800, using it as a Time Machine back up and for storing media files, with Plex Server running on the iMac

I am looking to sell the iMac and have bought a MacBook Pro, but will obviously keep the WD drive. So, to my question, with the new Airport Time Capsule 2TB drives, can attach the WD off the back by USB2 and then access all of my files from my laptop running Plex Server.

Also got a Raspberry Pi/Plex Server on the same wireless network, so could the WD drive hang off the back of the Time Capsule?

Basically I want to use the Time Capsule purely for the new device, but access media stored in the older WD drive, without having to physically connect the WD drive to the Macbook....

Thanks guys

4. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,106
    Yes you can attach the drive to the TC and point Plex media server running on the Macbook at those shared folders but your network may be a bottleneck that makes it unwatchable running data to the TC, Mac and R-Pi, you wont know if it works well enough until you try it.

If the R-Pi runs a Plex server and doubles as the main viewing client that would be the better place to attach the USB drive to if Rasplex supports scanning USB drives and sharing them over the network, that would avoid any bottleneck at least for the R-Pi.

The better thing to do if you already haven't is do not buy a Timecapsule, go buy an Asustor AS2-202 NAS for around £170 and stick your WD drive into it, the AS2 is the best low cost Plex server you can buy so no need for Macbook or R-Pi running Plex server, the AS2 has an x86 CPU so it runs Plex almost as good as PC/Mac (not counting transcoding video). You will also get timemachine support through it as well.

5. rousetafarian

rousetafarian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,198
    Hi next010 - thanks for replying so quickly!

I agree with the potential bottleneck of hanging a drive of the TC, but it solves the location issues I may encounter. My home-office is on the top floor, the R-Pi and TV are on the floor below, and regarding your 2nd paragraph, the R-Pi isn't running Plex Server but Rasplex operating as a client.

The new MBP will run Plex server, but currently the only way of getting to the data would be by physically connecting it to the WD drive by FW/Thunderbolt.

Thinking out loud here.......perhaps I could do the following?

1. WD (where the media currently sits) connected to a TC (solely used for MBP Time Machine) via USB2 (both located on the top floor)
    2. Ethernet from the TC into a Comtrend Homeplug (other Homeplugs work fine currently in the house network)
    3. R-Pi downstairs on the WLAN running Plex Client, then HDMI into the TV
    4. MacBook can be anywhere it wants running Plex Server, and also benefitting from wireless back up to the TC
    5. Or am I over-complicating things here, which is likely tbh

(I've not bought a TC yet)

6. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,106
    A lot depends on the media, if these are low res small videos then that shouldn't be a problem, keeping in mind the Macbook is the choke point running Plex as it must pull the media from the TC over wireless then transmit it to the R-Pi, the TC/R-Pi are not communicating directly. If it doesnt work well over wireless putting the R-Pi on the homeplug network would also help as would the Macbook.

If the Macbook has to transcode media that kind of set up can really mess things up but I'm guessing all your media is natively compatible with the R-Pi

If you've not bought the TC I would strongly suggest getting a Plex NAS for use with the R-Pi via homeplugs (even wireless may be good enough) taking the Macbook completely out of the loop. Your killing two birds with one stone, getting Timemachine backups, file server and Plex server along with a ton of other stuff.

7. rousetafarian

rousetafarian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,198
    Time to start doing some research on a Plex NAS, in the meantime I'll attach the R-Pi to the Homeplug network as a kick-off.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  8. rousetafarian

rousetafarian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,198
    OK, I have convinced myself to keep my WD 2Tb firewire drive for FW/TB connected back-ups, and follow your advice by not buying a TC. It seems that mixing usage of a TC for backups and media streaming is fraught with issues.

So.....the research starts in earnest

9. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,106
    Asustor AS2-202 for £178 right here, cheapest x86 Plex server you can buy and also does Timemachine, you will have to supply your own HDD or cannibalize the WD drive removing it from the firewire enclosure.

x86 NAS are way better than Arm models for Plex media server, the cheapest x86 Synology you can buy is the 214Play at £274 if you want to go with them instead.

Plex is in the app portals for both Asustor and Synology.

10. rousetafarian

rousetafarian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,198
    So after buggering about with the WD FW drive yesterday, due it not mounting to my iMac or rMBP (panic ensues) and research with the help of next010 above, I have decided to simplify.

I am considering ditching Plex as an idea now I've seen how well XBMC looks and runs on my rMBP, keep the R-Pi for streaming XBMC to my main TV and potentially buy a TC for wireless back-up of my Macs and extending the wireless network which has a couple of drop-off areas in the house.

This is only a bit of a hobby and I think jumping into the realms of NAS for a tech-novice like myself is perhaps a step too far

11. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,106
    That will work if you want the TC as a streaming source, the TC only shares over samba or afp (apple file protocol) so on XBMC look under windows smb network for samba or zeroconf for afp shares.

I'd recommend using raspbmc as the OS for the R-Pi running XBMC.

12. rousetafarian

rousetafarian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,198
    Would OpenElec be a viable alternative? Please forgive my ignorance....

13. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,106
    Openelec and Raspbmc are competing linux xbmc only OS for the R-Pi, Raspbmc is generally considered the better of the two and has a much more helpful user base.

Raspbmc