1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time and date on DV tapes

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by John103175, Oct 25, 2005.

1. John103175

John103175
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Sony DCR PC 109E camcorder. also have a Sony DCR PC 101. I have been using Pinnacle Studio 9 editing suite to edit my footage. I remove sound, and cut bits out. In the past when the edited footage has been sent back to my camera via firewire the camera has recognised the time and date and shown it on the camera screen. I accept the time and date is not shown on a computer screen, but does show on the camcorder. I now find that the time and date is not recognised by the camera, and a series of dashes is shown where the time and date should be. Does anyone know why? Or how to solve this. In the past everything was fine and the date and time were picked up and shown. Why has it stopped doing this? Please help.

2. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    one possible theory is that the internal battery on the cam has went flat...

3. John103175

John103175
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Roy, I will give that a go. But the date and time are carried back when using Windows Movie Maker.

4. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yup, but if the battery is flat on the cam it won't display any info.

5. John103175

John103175
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again Roy, but the internal battery on the DCR PC 109E charges itself over 24 hours when the camera is in it's cradle. So I have to accept that the internal battery is fine. Why would the date and time return using Windows Movie Maker and not Pinnacle Studio 9. Pinnacle have suggested it's a camera setting, but I have tried everything. I am also on to Sony, and no joy so far. Thats why I am here. John

6. John103175

John103175
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why does the time and date return to the camera using Windows Movie Maker but does not return to the camera using Pinnacle Studio 8/9. It did...and that nnoys me....now it has stopped ...why?

7. John103175

John103175
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Come on folks....WAKE UP!!!...Why Does Windows Moviemaker get the DV tape to recognise Date and time and not Pinnacle? Which once did I might add? The date and time are only recognised when the edited footage is played back on the camcorder. BUT WITH STUDIO 9 AND MY COMPUTER IT DOESN'T NOW!!! PLEEEEAAAASE HELP.

8. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    John if I had a clue I'd tell as I'm sure anyone else here would.
    The fact nobody has given the answer may be because nobody has it.

9. John103175

John103175
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, thank you. Point taken.

10. John103175

John103175
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After some further enquiries, I think I have found the answer. 1) Download the footage to PC, edit it etc and save the edited product as an AVI file. Create a tape, and within Studio open the AVI file. The Studio programme when settings are set correctly ie start stop camcorder, will sent the edited footage back to camcorder and recognise the time and date.