1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Timbre match speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Rob KSA, Feb 4, 2003.

1. Rob KSA

Rob KSA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am an absolute newbie, but after 3 days of reading the threads I am ready to start my home theater. I work in Saudi Arabia so my choice for receiver are not much, the speaker almost none except to buy bose that I have actually intended to buy until I've read your advices here.

I have decided to buy the new pioneer VSD d2011. I intend to build a 7.1 system. My plan is to buy 2 B&W DM 602/S3 for front and ASW600 for sub. I also intend to buy either the LCR600/S3 or the LCR60/S3 for front center. Now because of budget constraint, while I understand that ideally I should be buying an additional 4 602/S3 for my rear surrounds to built a 7.1 system, I am considering buying the lower end DM303 or DM302 (4 pcs) whatever is available in Bahrain. Before I plunge and go scout for these B&W speakers in Bahrain, I would be interested if I will be building an incompatible speakers by using the DM300 series for the 4 rear speakers.

Thank you in advance, please be gentle, this is my first post. :(

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Voice matching is more important over the front three speakers but in my opinion less important at the rear. You are intending to buy rear speakers from the same manufacturer which are probably voiced fairly closely to the fronts wheas in my system I have M&K at the front and Mission bipoles at the rear and it doesn't sound too bad.

3. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Welcome to the forums.

What can I say except 10/10 for ambition!!!!

Knowing nothing of your circumstances makes it difficult to hel, but I'll have a go anyway!

I've nothing to say about your choice of amp as I have no experience of it.

I tried out B&W speakers recently, so here's a couple of observations - The 602 S3 is a very tall speaker for a stand mount - so it needs a big space to live in. The 601s I had on loan did not like being placed close to a wall. The LCR600 is massively expensive compared to the LCR60 (I only auditioned the cheaper one and it sounded very nice thank you).

Room size is an issue here wrt the rest of your post.

I have the potential for 6.1 sound but in my lounge (20 x 15) I am pressed to say honestly that there is an improvement whith a sixth speaker in place. My opinion is that you would be better off spending your money on a pair of quality speakers for your rears (say 601 S3 which B&W advocate for their rears on their web site) & running 5.1 for now rather than compromising to buy two cheaper pairs for 7.1.

Whatever you decide, I think you'll be happy as the equipment you have listed seems very nice to me :smashin:

4. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also had surround speakers from the same brand, but lower range, I thought I was ok, until I upgraded... for music, of course, it doesn´t matter as much with movies...

I would also start with 5.1, but same range speakers...

5. Rob KSA

Rob KSA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you guys for the quick reply. I was actually looking for the lower end pioneer VSX D811S. But since I don’t want to ever upgrade without me winning the lottery, I am more tempted to go for the VSX D2011.

Ian,
    Thanks, I would surely audition my choice if it’s ever available in Bahrain. Just heard that there’s a B&W store there but not sure what’s available.

Wilbur,
    I have an 18 feet by 15 feet room for this, I know it’s small for my intended setup but as I’ve mentioned I don’t want to ever upgrade when it’s time for me to go home. You mentioned that the 601 you have on-loan does not like being put against the wall but then you also mentioned that B&W recommends them for the rear speaker. But I would also audition the 601 for my rear speakers just in case the difference in price would not put me off my budget.

Lowrider,
    You look like the motorcycle guy in that TV show, u know the partner of Eric Estrada, I forgot his name, ahehehe. Well, I will also try the 5 speakers setup in my audition.

Thanks, hope there will be more input before I go to Bahrain on Thursday.

6. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    B&W don't have to worry about the real world in their recommended setups :suicide:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

We've all said that - my last "brilliant" setup lasted just over six months :rolleyes:

7. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    The 600's make good rears(£200), they are tonally matched with the other DM60X range, and can be wall mounted, are very much smaller then the 601's, setting them to small, and using the sub for bass... A more ;real world' speaker...

I can't see the advantage of using the 601's etc as rears, since they would need to be set to small, the extra few hz at the botom end, they have over the 600's, is then moot?

If you listen to multichannel music, to me Timbre matching is vital, it makes all the difference, if you have the same background vocals coming from all 4 speakers, it sounds awful if they aren't timbre matched... (For movies, this isn't a problem as already mentioned!!!)

8. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With your choice of front speakers, I would buy a pair of 600 for surround + the better center...

As long as your receiver supports 7.1, you can always add a pair of back speakers later, if you feel the need, without upgrading anything else...

9. Rob KSA

Rob KSA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK guys, just got back in Dhahran from Bahrain. I just bought a pair of the 602/S3 as that is all that can fit in the trunk of my car. I will be back there soon with a bigger vehicle to get the rest of the stuff.

I have decided to just buy initially two back speakers (the 601/S3 as the price difference is just a tad. I will also be buying the LCR600/S3 as the sound is a lot better than the LCR60. However, my intended sub which is the ASW600 is not available. I think they have like the ASW1 or something. The salesperson is trying to sell me the YST-SW320 (yamaha sub) which is also a 250W sub and a 250mm driver. It is also cheaper than the ASW600. So I go for it?

more questions. For my front speakers, I bought 3 (4-wire, 14 ga.) cables which I intend to bi-wire. Is this size OK?

For the rear speakers (35 ft each). What wire gauge should I buy. The salesperson said that the guage 16 is OK because it is just for the surround speakers. However, I read somewhere here that for over 20 feet length, the proper size is gauge 12. My question is if I just used the gauge 16 wires for the rear speakers, would I be sacrificing a lot of audio?

Thanks again in advance. I'm excited as this will be my first home theater! :clap: