Dans Timber Frame build with dedicated Theatre

Reaction score
Hey,

Some may have seen me lurking around in the forums lately looking for some kit to grace my new dedicated HT, now im actually out of the ground i thought i might share some pics of the house build and soon to be Ht room.
Not much to see at the mo but i will share dimensions proposed kit list (current) and what im aiming for design wise.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    961.4 KB · Views: 3,263
Last edited:
Set the ht room walls out today in the far right corner of the build, ht will be off a small corridor from the lounge.
Room dims. 4m wide x 5.8m deep x 2.7m high.

Currently the plan is to use ideas from other builds ive seen, some inspiration comes from the 'bacon race' and 'cinemar' builds seen over on avs.

Proposed kit will be an acoustically transparent screen as close to 3m wide as possible.
Speaker options are..
3 x jbl 3677 with 8230 surrounds x 4.
Klipsch thx 650 x 3 with matching surrounds x 4

Still undecided on subs...possible diy builds

Powered by possibly my current rotel or a couple of crown xlr class d amps.
Processing provided by anthem mrx 510.

Projector looks to be the new cheaper option from sony the step down from the 55es (i forget model no.)

Things are moving fairly fast but with just myself building we could be looking toward the end of 2015

Pictures below of ground floor plan and pic showing ht walls erected, getting priorities right ;)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    958.2 KB · Views: 3,220
Last edited:
Deleted.

Last edited:
Download tapatalk and or a photo hosting site like flickr or photobucket...should be easy after that. Pm me if you need a little support.

Looking forward to this thread so please keep with the updates :)

Cant seem to upload pics from ipad or iphone to update this thread grrr

I use the AVForums app on my iPad to upload pictures. Works well enough

If anyone didn't all ready guess, the build is a 'stick' build, as in im building everything on site from lengths of timber, no fabricated panels, hoping to get the roof on by the end of august. Its only me working on it but hopefully thats achievable before the weather sets in.

Regarding my original proposed kit list, the anthem is now off the list following the news of atmos receivers coming this autumn. Possibly looking at a denon with atmos processing as pre/pro.
Qsc cinema speakers are also on the list.
Sc-1120
Sr-8200

Last edited:
Nice :)

I'd love to build my own place! Looks like a lot of work if you're doing it all yourself :eek:

Looks like a great plot you're on as well, I'd love somewhere with some privacy but a big garden :)

What are you going to wire the cinema room for? Dolby Atmos? Are you going to run power to each speaker location so you can run active speakers if you want to? Do you have a separate electronics room planned? I would definitely go DIY for the subs, you can get so much more output for your money, plus you could build them into the room as you go along, meaning they are discreet and not just dumped in a corner later!

Hey mem x,
Yes atmos is planned, wiring for 4-6 ceiling, heights, wides. Ive tried some active genelecs, great sound but i think too bulky for what im thinking, although i will run power points i think.
Currently i have a pre order for the xtz cinema sub 3x12, at the pre order price it seems like good value as long as it performs!
Diy is definitely an option also, will be hard trying to lose that big box...
The plot is great, no neighbours except my brother who is at least 40-50ft away.
A few extra pics, excuse the dirty osb! Have been using it as platforms for the first floor.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    866.5 KB · Views: 2,600
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    744.5 KB · Views: 2,585
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 2,555
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    968.6 KB · Views: 2,604
Last edited:
Got both gable ends up now, just a few finishing touches and then i can put on my 14mtr ridge beam :clap: Ive had a few jobs come in now so work will slow a little on this but still aiming for at least the rafters on by end of august.

Looking good, I'd love to have the space to purpose build something like this one day. Keep the pics coming!
Can I ask where you got the xtz pre order price? I've seen a few people mention this but can't find any info?

Just an update been doing my roof non stop since before xmas, finally looking something like...
I think at the start of this thread i said things would happen fairly quickly...well i was a little bit off there, the roof has taken quite some time, its the square footage that I underestimated, the ridge beam is 14 meters accross and the house is 12 meters deep.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2,569
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2,540
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    998 KB · Views: 2,494
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2,377
Last edited:
Well done Dan, nice and neat up there. Although nobody will see that close up. It's looking good. I would love to do a self build.
But finding suitable land at a responsible price is always the sibling block.
Looking forward to more posts.

You did all that yourself!??? Blimey, and to think I'm getting a family friend to widen the entrance to our driveway, quite embarrassing! Hahah

Anyway well done so far, looks like a professional job

Hey BM, yes mate all myself, ive had a labourer on the odd few days, mainly to lift the glu laminated rafters on the roof, i will dig a pic out of that.
My friends a roofer and did most of the slating on the roof.
I am a carpenter thats slightly obsessed with detail so it does help, thanks for the compliment :smashin:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,434
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    936 KB · Views: 2,384
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,001.8 KB · Views: 2,371
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    694.1 KB · Views: 2,342
image.jpg
Hey, i got sick of window shopping and needed a little boost, so i bought some klipsch kl650 thx ultra 2 for my lcr, hopefully they should be here tomorrow and i can give them a little blast! The price was too good to miss really.
THX Ultra2 Home Theater System | Klipsch®
Cinema room dims have increased a little from 5.9 to nearly 7 metres deep, this hopefully will give the rear surrounds some room to breath.
Wish i could start on the cinema room but work is considerable, in reality work on the cinema room could commence after the summer once the house is mainly sorted.
Got most of the framing completed up stairs now so wiring and insulation can commence soon.
Will add some new internal pics soon :smashin:

Last edited:
Well done Dan, I have listened to them. And thought they were fantastic. I did choose jamo D7s and I hid them in the wall, you can do some nice details when your doing a self build. Don't rush it mate, you have many years to look at your mistakes. I think my speakers are to high. As above TV, should of gone below TV.

Well done Dan. For some radome reason. I thought your build was in Scotland. Not Cornwall. I like your cladding. I use cement boards in my line of work, and you can leave and forget about them, there great. And Staple. What are you cladding the outside of the home in? Are your velux on remotes? Or a very long pole. Lol. Cinema room looks plenty big enough. I had to go smaller on my room to find me more space for the kitchen diner. But now, it's fine and works just as well, if not better then when it was 10ft bigger. Because I planned it. I like to think.
What are you using to sound deaden the room. I have used sound block. Blue plaster board. And stuffed the rafters with acoustic block wool. It's so cosy.. But I was hoping for more from the sound block. You can still hear things up stairs. So my next step is to use acoustic underlay. In this room and the bedroom above. Says it kills 48dbs. But it's not cheap.
Keep chipping away at it. I know what it's like. And it looks great pal. Will done.

Well done Dan. Great to see the video, I love the look of the house and the design details. Best of luck with the continued progress.

Lee, i did reply to you on my profile page, not sure if you saw that?
The velux are just standard openers, so yeah long pole i guess ha ha, but really i only went with velux as they are easier and cheaper to make watertight than standard glazed panels, basically they will never get opened.
Not to sure on the soundproofing, from having done flats to achieve certain db ratings it seems if you can eliminate the mechanical fixings to the joists (ie screws) you have won half the battle.
So as to not lose too much space in the room i will glue the boards to the studs then screw, once the glue has gone off remove the screws. Also use acoustic rockwool and possibly a false ceiling.

The house actually has or will have a roofed veranda at the front but i havent built that yet, you can see i have put the footings and wall plates in, its the ground structure i walk up to and over to get into the house.

The house will be full cladded in the blue/grey cement fibre boards from cedral.
Cedral Weatherboard, Fibre Cement Wood Effect Weatherboard Cladding

cheers.

Well done Dan. Great to see the video, I love the look of the house and the design details. Best of luck with the continued progress.
Thanks Paul, the inspiration comes from an american design style new england/cape cod house. Its nice to be able to do a bit more details rather than standard uk type builds, it seems we have lost some of the details over the years in favour of speed and convenience.

Eaves detail...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 2,074
Not much done lately with the easter break, ive had to look after my daughter mostly but she helped me get started on the siding :clap: shes so sweet she didnt moan for 3 days, bless her.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 2,076
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 2,074
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 2,060
Looks good Dan. I'd love to be building a whole new house.

Is Part L a pain with you guys too? Heat sources, flow temps, PV panels, the lot........

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom