1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tim, hows your new screen?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Jonny1973, Feb 15, 2002.

1. Jonny1973

Jonny1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    timh,

Has your new da-lite screen drastically improved the picture quality from your panny PT-AE100? Is the contrast better? How's the black on a white screen?

At the moment, I'm projecting onto a wall covered in white A4 copier paper. I tried printing a grey box on some and it did improve the contrast. When I can be bothereed, I'll strip the wallpaper and paint the wall Dulux Icestorm 5.

However, if a screen makes a big difference then I might try that route instead.

Jonny

2. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Jonny

It's great, since fitting the screen I have watched WIld Wild West, Armageddon & Jurassic Park, the kid's also watched Flubber, all region2.
    The screen is quite heavy, so you need a hepful Mrs, like mine, or get one of your mate's round to help fit it.
    I went for the extra 12" drop to get the screen as low as possible, it is now level with the top of my speakers, unfortuantly I have had to use the keystone (-1) try not to use keystone it degrades the picture quality, I will lower the PJ at a later date.
    I have found the colour's really good now and the contrast seem's slightly better, a good test is the opening of ST First Contact, some good dark shaddow's and lot's of detail as the camera zoom's back from Picard's eye. This looked awful on the Sony CX1.
    It's a bit trickey getting it to roll back into the case, I need to practice.
    The bad point about this screen is the edge's curl in a little, but this isn't a problem while viewing on it.

Yes! the picture quality is better. Go get one, if it's a Da-lite or any other make, you will find an improvement over your wall.

I am yet to fit my new curtains with blackout lining, it should be even better then. Then I need to redecorate the wall's a darker colour paper. I have allready painted the ceiling Magnolia, this helped a little, it also helps to get the screen as low as possible to avoid light reflection's of the ceiling.

Hope this help's a little :D

3. codling

codling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    tim are you gonna post any new pics useing your new screen:D .

would love to see them.

i think ill be getting a ae 100.:) hopfully get a demo within the next couple of weeks.

thanks cod

4. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Cod

I guess you have seen the picture of Worf, it got slagged of on the avsforum in the states.
    I will retake the same photo for a comparison. The only other differans is the ceiling has been painted Magnolia.
    Keep a check here, I may do it tonight.
    I will then at a later date, take the same photo again, when my blackout curtains are fitted and the walls decorated a darker colour.

5. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Timh,

Don't worry about people slagging off your screen shots.
    I've posted several screens shots, and somebody always found something wrong with them. I even stated the flaws myself, yet people still pointed them out!. Some people just like appearing smarter than they actually are etc.

The funny thing was, that the LCD screen shots made the PJ's image look better. And the CRT screen shots made the PJ's image look worse!.

I for one love looking at different screen shots, so keep trying.

I was tempted to do a direct "Overlay" screen grab, off a DVD disc and see if anybody slagged that off!!!:devil:

I'm awaiting the return of my Quadscan Elite processor, which is have some filters removed to increase picture sharpness/detail.

I then plan to spend an entire day focusing and tuning my PJ to the limit.
    I will then use a normal 35mm film camera on a tripod to take some screen shots.
    This will then be transfered direct from negative to CDrom.
    I will keep the camera settings the same for all screen shots.

I will include a wide range of films, from cartoon based animation (Toy story 2 etc), to dark and murky scenes. And then bright and bleached shots (Dinosaur- desert / pitch black etc). Finishing off with some heavy colour saturated material.

WHY?.......

Why not!:D

Will people still find faults?

Yes!

Do i care?

No!

Keep trying with your screen shots!;)

6. Jones_Rush

Jones_Rush

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    fulabeer,
    With all due respect, let's be realistic here. The worf picture got slammed because it deserved it. If you'll just ask, I'll point you to at least 10 digital pj's pictures taken at these last two weeks, which I think are superb. The fact is, no one have succeeded to take good quality pictures of the AE100. The color is always off, or the image look blurred. I really hope you'll succeed better.

7. gwbailey

gwbailey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Go on then......;)

8. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Jones_Rush,

I agree if a picture is poor, then it's poor etc.

But the only way people get better at screen shots is to keep trying!.

What i was saying to Timh, even if he managed to produce near perfect screen shots. Somebody will still find faults etc. So he should ignore negative comments, and keep going.

I was shocked at my first attempts at screen shots. The result had no comparison to the image i was seeing on the screen :( .

You ought to see the looks i get from the Max Spielmann staff when i pick up the prints! :D
    I make SURE i don't do ANY screen shots involving sheep!!!:D :p :D

9. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Paul

Thank's for your comment's, I do remember your pictures getting a slagging off, I also remember them looking pretty good.

I have retaken the Worf picture, but this time with my screen, but I haven't bothered to upload it, as it look's identical :(

I never even new I had dead pixels on my camera until someone pointed them out to me on the forum. (four red dot's on worf picture).

10. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tim,

I presume your screen isn't "down" fully.
    I mean the last pic of it. Doesn't seem to be a 12" black drop.
    From the ratio, I'd say 7 or 8 inches.

It doesn't matter. Looks great;)

Is the extra drop "dyed", or is it an added section?

Just about to order the exact same screen myself, with a 60cm drop. Hence the interest.

Again, thanks for the pictures.
    When I get mine I'll hpoefully post some also:p

11. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Kramer

Yes, the screen is not down fully, I opted for the extra 12" drop even though I dont need it, it's just in case I ever move it and need the full 12", like you said it drops about 8".
    The extra drop is an exra piece added on.
    The border look's like it is sprayed on, but it could be dyed.
    The only downer is that it curl's at the edge, but you can't tell from viewing a film.
    Dont loose it when trying to get it to roll back into it's case, it's trickey to get use to it.

12. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I counted 5 :p

13. GaryG

GaryG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tim

You certainly like to move your furniture around! What's happened to your Sony kp-41ds1 TV, it's been replaced in you last shot of the Da-Lite screen?

14. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Gary

You dont miss much do you. ;)
    The kp-41 has gone up to my son's bedroom, it was to much of an eyesore in the lounge sat in the corner.
    I didn't even watch it much after I got the Projector.
    The 28" sony is ok for general viewing. I now usually fire up the pj if I want to watch anything.