Tilting Wall Mount - Self or professional fitting ?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by anuvid, May 15, 2005.

1. anuvid

anuvid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bought a tilting wall mount on which my LG 42" will go. Wondered if you think it's something my very handy neighbour and I could do or if professional fitters should be called in ? Pros quoted £ 15 for a survey (I'm in a new build house and although its an external wall, it's got a stud wallto get through first and they say they may be unwilling to fit if they have to drill too far to reach the external wall. They then quoted £ 80 or more for actual fitting.

Thinking of sending the LG back and risking the HD Samsung that's talked about elsewhere on the forum.

2. anuvid

anuvid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No opinions on this then :)

3. w3dal

w3dal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +588
    i live in a new build flat and me and my Dad stuck my wall mount up with no problems.

Take your time, get the right bolts, drill peice and drill and then mark up and go for it!!

You can always stop and then get someone to-do it if your not happy..... but give it a go.

The instructions that came with my wall mount from AV where spot on.

Dal

4. anuvid

anuvid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    w3dal thanks. What I'm most unsure about is whether to mount the bracket then get two people to hold the plasma in place whilst screwing it on or whether to mount the plasma and bracket to the wall together

5. Loada

Loada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Usually, the mount is in two pieces - the "wall" part which bolts to your wall (use suitable bolts for your wall type, plenty of them!) and the "backing plate" part that fixes to your plasma - the bolts for that should come with the mount. Then, the backing-plate will "hook" onto the wall-mount. That takes a couple of people to do safely.
    The bottom line is the plasma only weighs ~30Kg (depending on the model). If you tilt the mount, that puts an extra "weight" effect on but if you mount the thing using common sense, some planning and the right fixings, you really don't have much to worry about. Some of the fixings you can buy from your average, local DIY superstore could happily hang an elephant or tank (or an elephant IN a tank) on the wall and it wouldn't move.
    Mind you, it's always a good idea to get an expert's opinion, especially if you're not sure. Most peoples' dads qualify in this area! ;)

6. w3dal

w3dal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +588
    exactly....

part one is to attach the bracket with arm to the wall.

Part two Then attach the plasma bracket and then hook the plasma onto the wall.

its hard to explain, but you hook the plasma to the bracket then tighten.

Get on the av sales website and have a look at the PDF. gives a better example.

You do it in two stages not in one go, if that makes sense

Dal

7. wigwam_salesman

wigwam_salesman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I was hanging my own screen I would hang 50kg of weights off the bracket overnight before putting my plasma on it. I would much rather lose a bit of plaster and dent the floor to find out it was not strong enough than risk my telly on it straight off.

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Charging for a site survey is a useful way of generating extra revenue, I must remeber that one. They are easy to hang, just get it level, and use the correct fixings. you can get more tha 50kgs on the bracket, do a couple of pull-ups on it before hanging the plasma. 2 proper bolts into plasterboard will hold this kind of load, most wll mounts have 8 holes. With the metal in your hands, it will be clearer than any .pdf. Go for it.

9. anuvid

anuvid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Genst thanks heaps for the advice it's really appreciated. I think I'll grow some nads and give it ago myself with my handyman neighbour. After all that's what home insurance is for :)

10. tonycommander

tonycommander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +154
    Check with your household insurers..

mine told me that unless it were professionally installed they would not cover it if it fell off the wall.

so got the guys i bought it off to fit it for me (Which was easy cos it was HA Prestons and I live in Malvern anyway).