• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

tilt shift pictures/videos

sheriffwoody

Distinguished Member
Hi all.

Thinking about buying a canon 600d and just wondered how easy it is to take/make tilt shift pictures and videos?

Is it something that is done with a setting within the camera itself or is it done using software on a pc?

Thanks in advance

Dancook

Distinguished Member
I'm still confused about tilt-shift, I've seen two seemingly different effects of tilt-shift.

The ability to take a photo of a tall structure close up, without distorting it due to perspective.

And the other, which blurs areas - oh and another that makes everything look micro...

Thumpermawer

Established Member
I'm still confused about tilt-shift, I've seen two seemingly different effects of tilt-shift.

The ability to take a photo of a tall structure close up, without distorting it due to perspective.

And the other, which blurs areas - oh and another that makes everything look micro...

As I understand it tilt shift lenses angle the plane of focus, relative to the sensor. So when you're beside a building it makes the focus plane the vertical of the building, even though the sensor is angled away from it (i.e. looking up). Used in the opposite direction it creates a wafer thin DOF, which is only seen on much smaller scale so the perspective is of a small scale model. :lesson:

I've been looking to get one for a while (£2K for a specific type of photography is tough to swallow!) so happy to be corrected by anyone with a better understanding! :smashing:

EDIT;
Can anyone confirm if Sion is right about lensbaby's (lensbabies?!) - looks like a good option to see if it's worth the investment if true

Last edited:

stument

Distinguished Member
Don't the lensbaby adapters let you do tilt photography? They're a lot less than £2k

Yes you can get a Lens Baby Tilt

You can also get Third Party Tilt Shift lenses on ebay for around £200/300

I was looking into Tilt shift work for years but never took the plunge

JSW

Prominent Member
Its been many years since I learnt about Tilt and shift on a 5 x 4 view camera so rather than try to explain I will take the easy option

Tilt :smashin:

allymac123

Prominent Member
As I understand it tilt shift lenses angle the plane of focus, relative to the sensor. So when you're beside a building it makes the focus plane the vertical of the building, even though the sensor is angled away from it (i.e. looking up). Used in the opposite direction it creates a wafer thin DOF, which is only seen on much smaller scale so the perspective is of a small scale model. :lesson:

I've been looking to get one for a while (£2K for a specific type of photography is tough to swallow!) so happy to be corrected by anyone with a better understanding! :smashing:

EDIT;
Can anyone confirm if Sion is right about lensbaby's (lensbabies?!) - looks like a good option to see if it's worth the investment if true

This isn't quite correct as tilit and shift are different functions, very different uses and effects.

A tilt shift lens has 2 distinctive functions -

TILT: Affects the angle of the lens and as such the the plane of focus. Allowing you to either extend the plane of focus getting everything in focus or reverse it to have a very small distance in focus. You can also rotate the front element meaning the focus can swing in any direction, left to right, right to left, bottom left to top right. That sort of thing.

This image demontrates the use of tilt, swung to change the plane of focus.
7656953352_4c5a2fc2bf_c.jpg

SHIFT: allows you to change which portion of the lens you are looking through. Instead of pointing the camera up or down you keep it completely level and the shift the lens up or down. This means that instead of verticals going all angled when you point the camera up they stay straight and true. (there is of course a limit and you can only shift the lens up so far.)

This image demonstrates shift used to photograph 'up' without angleing the camera.
7656980708_71e4b4fb11.jpg

Zone

Tilt-shift can be done online for free without the need for anything other than a photo. The effect is great. Here's one such website.

I can't recall which one I used when I did my conversions. Here's some samples so you can make your own mind up:

That's really just selective focus, it doesn't help with avoiding converging parallel lines such as when photographing tall buildings up close, so they will still appear to be leaning backwards!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom