Tilt Sensitive Controller coming to XBox360

• Thread starter Deleted member 92943
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 92943

According to XBox World 360, a major developer for the 360 has told the magazine that Microsoft are releasing a tilt sensative controller for the 360, simular to the Wii and PS3 style controller

Apparently it's an official XBox product that will also require the LIVE Vision camera which will follow all the movements done with the controller. It;s an offical product from Microsoft that Peter Moore apparently unvieled in secret back in June

They go on to say that it will be firstly implemneted with XBox LIVE Arcade games before being used in all 360 games, and with the camera being released in the next couple of months, that this new controller will be out before christmas.

What does everyone reckon? I can see it happening myself as it will upstage the Wii and PS3 so called revoluntionary technology

I think this story has more to do with the camera (i.e. it 'seeing' where the controller is and what it's doing) rather than a new controller.

Personally, I'm not interesting in tilt tech. Try it out for a while when you're playing GRAW or something. Mimic a few movements. It feels stupid and gets old very quickly.

I think MS should release an arcade stick and limit arcade games to two buttons, nice and simple. (Thinking about it, Geo Wars requires two analogue sticks... )

Indeed, the thought of Tilt control just dont do anything for me, forget Tilt, Steering wheels and waveing a remote at the screen, i just want a control pad with two sticks and enough buttons. :smashin:

runam0k said:
I think MS should release an arcade stick and limit arcade games to two buttons, nice and simple. (Thinking about it, Geo Wars requires two analogue sticks... )
And SFII needs 6 buttons! :smashin:

hottstuff said:
"Tilting" does seem like a pointless feature to me.

agreed. The only thing I can see it useful for is flight sims (or games where you fly a plane) as the controller could act as the plane in your hand. But otherwise, I wouldn't use it.

hottstuff said:
"Tilting" does seem like a pointless feature to me.

Have to agree with this. I think the Wii and PS3 controllers will be a bit of a gimmick too. I haven't really seen them in action from any of the E3 footage, but just can't see them being responsive enough somehow.

If they did a Wii style controller which ciuld be used like a lightsabre then i would buy one but i agree that a 360 controller with tilting wouldn't do much for me.

At least XBox 360 still has rumble in it's controllers :D

The ps3 tilt seems a bit gimicky but the wii looks like it could be fun way to get you more involved in the game though it looked very slow to react in all the e3 demos I watched. I think I can quite happily live without tilt on 360 if they use the same kind of implementation as sony but I guess analog sticks, trigger buttons and rumble were all probably thought of as gimicky at some point and now I couldn't live without them so we'll just have to wait and see how it pans out.

No interest in "tilting" or motion sensitive controllers for me either. lol, I really cant see myself poncing about the living room waving a controller around!

I would love an official arcade stick though, and a few good fighting games to go with it. Tekken is the only game that makes me miss Sony and it's the one genre of game I think the xbox has always lacked in. Soul Calibur 2 was the best it got.

Well my PS2 sits proud one shelf under my 360 and SSX Tricky gets a kicking every now and again, however imagine trying to do a 1080 with a Tilt sensitive pad, be like a food blender with Bizz and Pee all over the walls by the time i have finished, :eek: :zonked: :rotfl:

I think tilt has a bright future! Not immediately obvious but there must be applications for this in todays games. What about a brisk jolt in the controller activating the melee attack in a first person shooter..?

We need to think a little more outside the box. Even if its not applicable to way we control todays games what about tomorrows..? I do not want to be playing graphical improvements of today's ideas for the rest of time!

When 3d graphics were the big things the first batch of 3d games were just traditional 2d styles utilising 3d graphics. Its not until things like Mario 64 showed us the way games could be that gameplay ideas caught up with the technology.

Suppose it could work with the Marble Blast Ultra arcade title somewhat.
Still, not that keen on the idea tho'.
Bit gimmicky isn't it.

I think that when you just 'tack on' tilt technology it's a bit crappy (PS3 anyone) but if it's designed from the outset then it could be good.

The Wii controller isn't just tilt, it acts like a pointer/mouse for aiming bows, lassoing objects etc. it's supposed to be really sensitive to.

Like someone else said, I don't go in for controller peripherals (they just end up on a shelf somewhere) the normal pad will do me fine.

kasumi said:
Suppose it could work with the Marble Blast Ultra arcade title somewhat.
Still, not that keen on the idea tho'.
Bit gimmicky isn't it.

Marbal Blast and super monkey ball were two games mentioned. They say that in FPS games it could be used for the character to look around corners rather than pushing a button

I reckon that because Microsoft have so much money, the might as well amke the controller and put them in shops because even though people might not like it, a few people might, so it's a winner for Microsoft.

Perhaps a year or so down the line, they will replace the normal controller with one of these ones to go against SONY

I had the m$ freestyle pro way back when i was a child and that sucked. I'm happy with my diddy 360 controller. fits snug.

well the LB & RB buttons are a bit awkward actually. but ill live.

Vini said:
I had the m$ freestyle pro way back when i was a child and that sucked. I'm happy with my diddy 360 controller. fits snug.

well the LB & RB buttons are a bit awkward actually. but ill live.

Agreed. I had one and although the controller was generally great, the tilt function was completely crap. Even games that were designed to be used with it such as Motocross Madness were nigh-on unplayable with the tilt turned on.

I think tilt control is a brilliant idea.

My wife and sister seem to think it's built in there now cos every time they steer a car or move a person on screen the controller has to go the same way.:D

You know what I mean, just give the controller to a woman.:devil:

*Dons flame proof suit*;)

WelshBluebird said:
agreed. The only thing I can see it useful for is flight sims (or games where you fly a plane) as the controller could act as the plane in your hand. But otherwise, I wouldn't use it.
I just keep imagining Easy Jet installing Wii controllers into their aircraft to save some extra cash :rotfl:

KlaatuNinja said:
The Wii controller isn't just tilt, it acts like a pointer/mouse for aiming bows, lassoing objects etc. it's supposed to be really sensitive to.

If done well it does sound like a bit of fun. But I can see all sorts of calibration issues with this. I mean how does it scale for people who might use a 100"+ PJ or 14" CRT? Light guns I can understand, but how does this work? I'm sure they're not idiots and have worked out something, but seems like a far task to get it working well for all situations.

Think it's going to be interesting when the Wii is released though. These controllers are going to take a real thrashing if they end up being used as light sabers etc. We'll definately here some funny stories how people have managed to destroy their controllers during some drunken duelling! :rotfl:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom