tilt mount for 50" LG plasma - and general questions

Ouch

Been trawling around various high street stores looking to see if anyone's wanting to do a deal on screen, BD player & mount..

Can't help thinking that screen mounts are pretty overpriced for what they are - 3/4 bits of bent metal with holes in - over 100 notes?

I understand that you don't want to be fixing nearly a grands worth of telly to the wall with blue-tak, but in the same way I can't really see how they think charging more for the bracket than you can get a BD player is a good idea.

Anyhow, I'm looking for sensible advice on what sort of tilt mount would be right for a 50" LG plasma. Do I need special consieration for plugging stuff in the back? Am I best buying these bits online, rather than picking something up from the store as part of a discounted deal? What do I need to look for in a screen mount?

I'll be fixing to a stud/osb/plasterboard wall, by the way..

Any thoughts? Suggestions, experiences?

Member252055

Hi

High street stores will always be more expensive than online stores just because of the overheads they have to cover. They also make very little money out of the TVs so make it up on the accessories like brackets and cables etc..

Generally speaking you shouldn't need to spend more than 50 quid on a decent tilting mount for your TV. Any universal mount with your TVs weight loading will fit your LG but you do need to look out for where and how the cables exit from the rear. Which model is it specifically?

What does the 'osb' bit stand for in your wall construction? If you're attaching to a stud wall then Ideally you need to find at least one of the studs to get a couple of good fixings into. Depending on the TVs weight you can then use the toggle type plasterboard fixings for the other positions.

Here's our bracket recommendation;

http://www.m-formonline.co.uk/lcd-plasma-wall-mounts/32-to-52-tilting-universal-lcd/plasma-bracket

Hope this helps.

Regards
Graham

Ouch

Graham, thanks..

The screen we're looking at is the 50PK590

OSB = Oriented Strand Board - and engineered wood board superior to plywood, used for carcassing prior to drywall lining in commercial instances. In this instance it's 9mm thick.

I've got parallel vertical wooden (63x38mm) studs 200mm apart either side of the screen centre, positioned to take the main load of the TV (the void between is nice little cable route) then at 600mm centres beyond (so no use). Horizontal ties, top bottom and about 1m from floor. On top of this the OSB is fixed, floor to ceiling, then on top of this high density soundblock plasterboard, then a skim of plaster.

I figured that fixing to the studs would take the main load and any additional lateral stability could be acheived through fixing towards the edge of the bracket into the OSB.

Member252055

Hi

Sounds like you know what you're doing then. The only issue with this TV is the power socket sticking out of the back...WHY do they do it!

Fixing method sounds good to me, the two studs will easily take the weight using decent wood screws and then anything else would be a bonus.

Regards
Graham

Ouch

I can build walls okay, hanging tellies off them is new to me - the last tv I bought was a CRT -definitely not wall-mountable.

I've found some angled plug HDMI cables that should solve one of those little headaches. perhaps I need to look for some angled power leads too. Irritatingly the online literature for the LG set doesn't describe the type of power lead/plug. argh.

Top Bottom