Tiling job - Opinions??

WeegyAVLover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

We got our downstairs loo done up and the tiler has completed the work a few days ago. But we are not really happy with the work has done in certain bits (too late now to do anything about it now).

But I am curious if anyone has an opinion on it (@Wahreo I am looking at you :)). the wall the door is on sits at angle to the wall it is next to it but the angle is like 30 deg rather than 90.

The tiles at the top are narrower than the tiles at the bottom. Also I am not sure if there was any other way he could have done it to make it look better, I don't know, also the grout lines are thicker in other bits down the line than they are in other places.

Am I being to much of a perfectionist and picky or would you be happy with this?

Attachments

• IMG_4490.JPG
    IMG_4490.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 968
  • IMG_4491.JPG
    IMG_4491.JPG
    715.4 KB · Views: 1,500
I'd say that whilst all tilers can do the big flat areas, the ones worth their cash can finish so well.

whats the other end of that long wall like?

To be honest i would rather he cut every tile than leave a small slither on every other row but there might be a valid reason....

Naturally seeing the complete wall would help but as far as I'm concerned it's completely irrelevant. That slither isn't acceptable for a tiler to do. Poor setting out.

If I saw the cut at the right then I could advise on what would've been best but I just hope that white grout is used.

Oh, the grout is in.
Presumably the colour choice of the OP - @WeegieAVLover ? Wouldn't be my choice but in any case as pointed out the need to have slivers in every other row would normally point to poor setting up. With simple measurements of tiles and intended gaps and the wall the tiler should be able to place the first tiles so both ends avoid slivers like that. The tiles are presumably level using a spirit level so the narrowing of the ends of the rows is part of what a tiler must consider in the setting up. All IMO and not a professional like @Wahreo. I have done a reasonable number of tiling jobs for others (and been paid for them) so I must have ended up with something bearable :laugh:

Sometimes the compromise means a discussion with the customer if the wall really is of dimensions and trueness and the chosen tiles are of dimensions where there is no option but to do something a bit different.

Often though this could be helped if the tiler asks what tiles you are using at the quote stage so he can plan those sized tiles on your wall that he is already looking at. Often different sized tiles of very similar looks can make the finished wall look better.

At the very least the tiler should plan and fix the first row and that should help explain what the ends in particular will look like and ask if you are happy.

Very occasionally the customer is always right - it doesn't sound as though you had a tiler that got really engaged in what it would look like on your wall though or what you might be happy with? :(

All to do with the setting out, those slithers should be consumed at the other end, unless you've got another unfortunate shape corner. For what it's worth, considering he's probably failed that part, he's actually quite neat given the brick bond set & tile shape

*without seeing it in person. Difficult tile shape to put slithers in, not that he should've. But he probably spent more time doing that part than the rest of the room

I would say that was badly set out initially. But also the cuts on the door wall are terrible doesn't look like he used a proper tile cutter in fact one top edge looks like it's just been nibble with pliers. Poor job.

poor IMO, i wouldn't be happy with that.

As others have said i'd be interested in seeing the other side. Surely if he had planned it better he could of avoided those little slithers.

Yes, get rid of the slither by moving the vertical grout joint to the left by 30mm or if that leaves a bad cut against the right wall then move the joint over 70mm

Without seeing the whole room though it's difficult to say how I'd set it out. Metro tiles or any brick effect tile look good with a larger cut on one wall and a smaller following round to the adjacent wall so that the tile appears to 'wrap' around the corner.

Poor setting out, there's no two ways about it.

That said, the customer is Scottish, he probably made the fitter use ever last tile so he could return the surplus ;)

I'm a DIYer and wouldn't dream of leaving it like that. You work out the cuts first so you don't end up with slivers.

Thanks Guys.

I will take pictures again tonight and repost. My one saving grace is it is not our main bathroom just a downstairs loo but we are not going to use him again.

There was a point when he said the tiles are not all the same size, he showed me by showing me a row of tiles and then the last one he had put on was about 1mm bigger. He said so I am having to reduce the size of the grout line. It took me to suggest trying another tile :facepalm: (so that flies in the face of my tightness that @Wahreo was implying ;)).

It is a bit disappointing how he has finished it but compared to how it looked before it really does look amazing (despite the imperfections of the tiles). Besides wait till you see a photo of my wife's choice of wallpaper, its a bit crazy but I do like it, and hopefully once that is up and sanitary ware is in, again, the imperfections of the tiling will be less noticeable.

I wonder why he didn't line the dado joint up to the tile?

Not the top tile, the one below that.

Yes, lazy tiler. He wanted to start with a full tile on the right which also meant the cut tile would come from a single tile cut in the centre for two pieces of tile.

Started with a full tile on the next wall too. This might be an indication as to why some of the vertical grout joints don't quite line up. The wall has to be perfectly plumb to start a full tile off it.

If the wall is out, the vertical grout joint stays vertical and the accommodation of the wall being out is done by the tile cuts tapering.

Thanks @Wahreo.
I just showed my wife & she is now upset/angry/sad (won't do that again).

She has asked "what about putting silicon down the vertical bit of the angled wall". I think that will make it worse though so she is willing to accept it is what is.

Twit is never coming back.

Thanks @Wahreo.
I just showed my wife & she is now upset/angry/sad (won't do that again).

She has asked "what about putting silicon down the vertical bit of the angled wall". I think that will make it worse though so she is willing to accept it is what is.

Twit is never coming back.

Perhaps find some moulding that can be fitted into the corner and be made to hide the joins.....Just an idea

Actually that internal corner is an expansion joint and should really have silicone.

The problem is that you'd usually buy the silicone and grout colour matched at the same time. Weber silver grey would've worked.

Perhaps a bead of white down there to hide the cuts a little.

He's used a white sealant on the other internal corner by the look of it.

To be fair, I don't actually think it's a bad job, it looks pretty flat, a couple of bits aren't quite perfect and don't line up but actually these metro tiles are a traditional looking tile so the imperfections don't look too out of place.

If it was me, I'd seal up the angled corner and accept it.

Obviously I'd never get a tiler in the do work for me but hypothetically if I couldn't do it myself.

Last edited:
My mate uses the word slither instead of sliver as well. When he does I get on my belly and slither round like a snake.

Perhaps a bead of white down there to hide the cuts a little.
Great idea, a bead of white right on the corner will make it look like the the slivers are part of the tiles to the left

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom