Tiling and plasterboard

• Thread starter Deleted member 174041
  • Start date
Tank around the shower area.

PS: Did you replace already existing plasterboard, or overboard the original walls? If the latter, why?

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Tank around the shower area.

PS: Did you replace already existing plasterboard, or overboard the original walls? If the latter, why?

No, The new shower area is a stud wall with insulation and plasterboard screwed to the timber.

How expensive :eek:

Its only a bath with a shower above it :(

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
You can get cheaper ones. Tanking provides a barrier between tile and surface.

For the shower area you really should have used tile backer board, not normal plasterboard.

You don't have to do either, of course, but it's recommended.

Ok thanks. Isnt what ive done sufficient then? Board does seem to be waterproof since I've given it 2 coats of that primer.

I think realistically as long as the tiling and grouting is done well it will be fine.

I think a lot of it comes from tradespeople because they don't want the agro if it does go wrong, which is fair enough.

In the grand scheme of things, tile backer board and tanking is a small increase in a decent bathroom job, which is why I done mine that way - ours was about £3K and about £150 of that was this, so imagine a plumber scrimping so little to then have to go back and pull it all down and start again.

My in-laws have had their en-suite for more than 15 years - normal plasterboard and no tanking. Only now has water got behind to the plasterboard and started to do damage.

Cheers for that. I've gone for mapei adhesive and grout with large tiles so it should be fine.

How has water started to penetrate your in-laws tiles?

i spent a while working out what to do, in the end i put some tile board on the shower wall, and plasterboard on the other walls, but tanked it as well, i don't regret this decision.

How has water started to penetrate your in-laws tiles?

As DJ says, grout is not completely water proof. Just years of use, lack of maintenance, and subtle movement of things has resulted in the grout cracking and opening up.

Depends on the grout though .....

True, he could go with an epoxy grout but it'll cost a fortune, it would be a nightmare to apply over a large area and it's total overkill.

A tanking system over any plasterboard or wet board is fine and more than enough. The grout will age at about the same rate as the rest of the bathroom

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom