1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tiger Woods 2004?????????? Xbox

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by MarkR, Sep 22, 2003.

1. MarkR

MarkR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +291
    Release date: 26/09/03

OK, I have got TGW 2003. Is it worth getting 2004 as I have heard that it is nearly the same, but with a few new courses and a few modifications.
    Your views would be appreciated. :confused:

2. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    If its Live compatible then I will get it otherwise I'll be buying the PS-2 version.

Neil.

3. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Err why?

4. MarkR

MarkR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +291
    May I ask why you would buy the PS2 version in preference to the Xbox.
    Unless of course you have a PS2 only, then that would answer that question.

5. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Because its online dood!

6. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have Tiger woods 2003 on xbox btw, and its brilliant but EA's issue with Live will mean that PS-2 will be online and XBox won't be. [Atleast that what I understand].

Neil.

7. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Ok cool :D

8. MarkR

MarkR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +291
    Cant believe that it wont be on-line, it makes no sense.
    It was TW2003 that made me switch over to the Xbox. Played it on the PS2 and the detail and general feel to the game just didnt come anywhere near the Xbox.
    But I think Neil is right, if you goto to the EA sports web site it says Live for PS2 but not for the Xbox.
    Oh well, god bless EA sports I suppose!! :mad: :mad:

9. Warnie

Warnie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I've just checked on their press section and there's no mention of the Live component for XBOX unfortunately. They make a big mention of the 7 new courses and create a player function.

10. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Online play is the biggest thing missing from TW. Playing the game against the computer is only so much fun, I want online. Although I think the online might be the US version only. So I'll prolly order it via dvdboxorifice.

Neil.

11. Willy

Willy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    EA are only doing online stuff for PS2. I think they had a disagreement with MS over Live! and online implementation etc, and decided to make all their games online for PS2 only.

I have an Xbox, but I'll be getting the PS2 version of TW2004 for the online play. Simple as that.

12. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    Amazing how so many great titles are shunning Xbox Live at present due to MS's stupid demands.
    Tony Hawks Underground will be online for PS2 only due to MS not allowing the use of so much h/d space.
    Cheap skates :D

13. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I think I'll wait for Links golf sim to come out on the xbox, it apparently has the same sort of joypad controls as Tiger Woods (e.g. thumbstick back and forth to swing the club) and has Live play...

14. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    TW2004 on PS-2 is not online if you buy the PAL release. So I've ordered the NTSC one :D WHen is LINKS out?

Neil.

15. MarkR

MarkR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +291
    Links is out on the Xbox 03/10/03.

16. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I won't have to wait long then...

17. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,008
    I think you'll find it's EA that are screwing things up. It's something along the lines of EA want total control over the game servers so that when a game is superceded they can switch off the old version servers in favour of new ones, thus meaning gamers will have to buy the latest version..
    MS have done a fantastic job with Live IMO, and of course Xbox can cope with online, PS2 struggles. Nascar 2004 (PS2) can only have 2 human racers online at once..lmao shameful..

On a positive note..IGN reviewed TW2004 and loved it

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/451/451026p1.html

18. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Steve,
    I don't see why MS can't let EA run their own thing, its a monopolistic way of trying to control the market. The issue is on both sides.

Neil.

19. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    Have to agree with Neil on this too Steve.
    MS are starting to run yet another monopoly with their outlook for Xbox Live. Can't they see that if they open up the market place for any server to host Xbox Live games then more people would buy into it.

Guess they don't like to see higher hardware and software sales then!
    Make it a free for all and more and more online gamers would consider the Xbox more than any other platform (including PC's).
    Also more software companies would produce more online enabled games. This was the one thing that could have forced the Xbox sales past that of the PS2, but MS have made a pigs ear of it too.

Arn't they getting good at doing that?

20. beng

beng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Neil & Alan,

Why would allowing anyone to run an xbox live server make more people buy into live and the xbox? I'm afraid I don't follow the logic.

Ultimately it comes down to money. It's a little bit about control but ultimately it's about money. Publicly, MS are talking about an architecture that allows them to offer a gaming service that's fast, quick and easy whilst also being just about as secure as peer to peer gaming can get. All wrapped up in a friendly feature packed interface. It's the centralised business model. The PS2 right now is using the external satelite model - i.e. let publishers do what the hell they want to with their online games. Does this increase creativity? Possibly. Does it create more problems than it solves? Maybe. Certainly the inconsistency from game to game in the online features it can offer may concern some. Privately, MS are concerned that allowing publishers to dictate the financial terms of any online video game will impact on their total revenue. After all, if rockstar could charge you £10 per month to play GTA4 on the xbox without kicking back anything to MS then they most certainly would.

So until they kiss and make up we won't be seeing any EA online games because, quite simply, the PS2 online user community, whilst tiny, is more likely to be there in three years time under the guise of the PS3. For the record, I also believe that the next online effort from Sony will steal from MS with unadulterated glee. Live is simply a superb service and I'm sure Sony will find a way of working things out with all of their publishing friends...:laugh:

21. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,481
    I read a review about TW2004 which, although I absolutely loved TW2003, made me not buy it. It still has got the stupid camera angle faults in it. I don't want to look at the face of my player but my ball in flight so I can apply spin to it.....The only differences seem to be more/different courses and an extensive player looks custimizer.

I will be getting Links this time around......Which according to the reviewer does not have these problems...Although knowing software it will have other problems....

22. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    EA Being the biggest software company in the world means mega bad news for microsoft if people buy the PS2 version over XBOX, XBOX needs all the incentives it can find to get people to buy XBOX over PS2 this is not gona help them atall,

They better start making up with EA before the next round of consoles else PS2/3 along with Gamecube 2 could have massive advantage over XBOX/XBOX2 in terms of online games, seeing how freindly EA are getting with Nintendo right now.

23. beng

beng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Predicting the future is difficult.

Remember Ocean? I think my point is that things change, console manufacturers come and go and it will take many things to effect the end of MS and online gaming. Support from EA is only one of them. Admittedly, if the machine doesn't have the games people like then they simply will not buy that machine. No matter how good the marketing is. People can talk about convergence all they want to. They can talk about DVD playback. And Hard drives. And online. But it will always be the games that make people buy your machine.

Luckily right now, MS doesn't need EA to contribute to its online strategy. It has Activision. And Halo2. And RTCW. And MM3. And Counterstrike. And Ghost Recon. And about 50 others from now until next year. If there is one thing I am sure of it's that many hundreds of thousands of words will be written in speculation as to what will happen next time out.

24. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    but wheres the on-line football on xbox????
    :( :( :(