Tier 3 ADSL2+ and me!

blazer666_uk

Standard Member
Right been on the phone for 50 mins with SKY Tier 3 support. I asked to be switched to ADSL2+ and the guy asked me loads of quesitons on why I want this, he even asked if I knew what ADSL2+ is (I gave a very detailed explanation thanks wikipedia!).

The bloke the did some tests and fiddled about a bit. He said he had changed my line to ADSL2+ and I was to monitor the connection for 24hrs. He also said it looked like my line is stable at 13 megs.

I had an adsl2+ service with www.bethere.co.uk and I was getting 14 megs from them so 13 sounded ok to me. I ran the netgear utility and it told me this:

/usr/sbin/adslctl: ADSL driver and PHY status
Status: Showtime Channel: INTR, Upstream rate = 768 Kbps, Downstream rate = 8672 Kbps
Link Power State: L0
Mode: G.DMT
Channel: Interleave
Trellis: ON
Line Status: No Defect
Training Status: Showtime
Down Up
SNR (dB): 6.9 13.0
Attn(dB): 34.0 21.5
Pwr(dBm): 19.8 10.3
Max(Kbps): 9216 1152
Rate (Kbps): 8672 768

Now forgive me if I am wrong but doesnt that say G.DMT??????? I told the tech support this and he said that I was either doing somthing wrong or the programme is reporting incorrectly. I informed the bloke of this forum and even read out loads of posts reguarding ADSl2+ issues. He promised me I was on ADSL2+. I said ok thanks I will call back tomorrow.

Anyone help out with this?? :lease:

Rygar

Novice Member
Not sure about anyone else but I'm out of ideas. I suggest you try the help forums at http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/

There are people there far more knowledgeable about Sky Broadband than me.

One thing worth mentioning is that Sky may choose to ignore any data from that utility as it is unofficial. They may even say it is against their terms to use it.

MChatterley

Customer services have apparently been told to change these settings for gamers.

Sky Have Listened To The Gamers
By NewsreadeR
Published 28-09-07

Print Email

"All

After reviewing the sky forums sites, recent escalations from customers and after discussions with Marketing, please can you implement the following

Should any customer be transferred to Tier 3 and request for their max delay levels to be decreased as a result of them using their broadband connection for Gaming, please arrange for this to be done. You should look to set their max delays at 8. Please ensure you leave the customer with a stable line after completing this."

This is great news for all gamers currently with or thinking about joining Sky Broadband, as well as a great decision from Sky. Well done!

Someguy

Banned
Max delays, sorry if I'm mistaken here but are you talking about Latency?

I do hope so, I'm sick of not having an optimum connection. It's by no means bad but it's not as good as my 2mb AOL connection.

On AOL although it sucked I got 57ms on Sky I get like 180ms

:thumbsdow

apolloa

Distinguished Member
Right been on the phone for 50 mins with SKY Tier 3 support. I asked to be switched to ADSL2+ and the guy asked me loads of quesitons on why I want this, he even asked if I knew what ADSL2+ is (I gave a very detailed explanation thanks wikipedia!).

The bloke the did some tests and fiddled about a bit. He said he had changed my line to ADSL2+ and I was to monitor the connection for 24hrs. He also said it looked like my line is stable at 13 megs.

I had an adsl2+ service with www.bethere.co.uk and I was getting 14 megs from them so 13 sounded ok to me. I ran the netgear utility and it told me this:

/usr/sbin/adslctl: ADSL driver and PHY status
Status: Showtime Channel: INTR, Upstream rate = 768 Kbps, Downstream rate = 8672 Kbps
Link Power State: L0
Mode: G.DMT
Channel: Interleave
Trellis: ON
Line Status: No Defect
Training Status: Showtime
Down Up
SNR (dB): 6.9 13.0
Attn(dB): 34.0 21.5
Pwr(dBm): 19.8 10.3
Max(Kbps): 9216 1152
Rate (Kbps): 8672 768

Now forgive me if I am wrong but doesnt that say G.DMT??????? I told the tech support this and he said that I was either doing somthing wrong or the programme is reporting incorrectly. I informed the bloke of this forum and even read out loads of posts reguarding ADSl2+ issues. He promised me I was on ADSL2+. I said ok thanks I will call back tomorrow.

Anyone help out with this?? :lease:
What Sky package are you on? What speed does your router status page show? If you want adsl2+ I take it you are paying for the Max package then?

blazer666_uk

Standard Member
What Sky package are you on? What speed does your router status page show? If you want adsl2+ I take it you are paying for the Max package then?
Yeah im on the MAX the status page shows 8 megabits, cant show you an copy as Im not at home for 2 weeks. :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 4K OLED TV Review | The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom