Tidal or Qobuz

xand_xand

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi my hiby R3 Pro has built in access to tidal and Qobuz streaming services...
Can't decide which to subscribe to.. Any thoughts?

Everyone will have their own opinions but I suggest you approach this based upon:

- the catalogue, user interface, sound quality and price (I would expand that to include multiple device support and both do offer family plans)

Can you not attempt a Trial with each? There are also occasionally discount codes floating online, I have definitely seen heavily discounted Tidal subs before

The whole package matters imo. I am not going to listen to 5,000 kHz high resolution files of music I do not like. If i like the music I would still listen to it on FM radio

Hi my hiby R3 Pro has built in access to tidal and Qobuz streaming services...
Can't decide which to subscribe to.. Any thoughts?

I'd echo much of what @Steven has advised.

I'd also add that I've tried both over the last year (was using Tidal for a year or so) and prefer Qobus. The interface on Tidal and it's algorithms for music suggestions is probably better than Qobus. I chose Qobus mainly for it's seamless integration with the Roon music system. I also found Qobus to offer better sound quality in it's hi-res files but that is purely subjective.

Thanks both for the input.
There are good deals out there for both services. I understand now to look at the whole package before deciding...

I used Tidal top subscription for 3 odd years moved to Qobuz and prefer the SQ on hires.

I used Tidal top subscription for 3 odd years moved to Qobuz and prefer the SQ on hires.

I was a long time Tidal subscriber but moved to Qobuz. I prefer Tidal on the full package, discovery, curation and playlists, all lacking for my tastes on Qobuz. But add Roon in the mix with Qobuz's sound quality and that's perfect for me.

I was trialing Tidal for about 15 days, switched over the kids from Spotify to Tidal, tried to move from Single Hi-Res to Family and was unable to unless I started with another email address. Tidal family is $29 while Qobuz is $24 - pretty easy decision from there.

kartdriver8

Just to start this one again, i have been using Tidal for a year or so and was excited by the whole MQA thing once i got a Node 2i. Have since discovered that MQA is actually lossy and there is a lot of talk around MQA being inferior etc.

https://youtu.be/pRjsu9-Vznc

I am currently trialing Qobuz and have to say i think the sound quality "seems" better to my ears, especially in Hi-Res. I have also noticed that whilst streaming Qobuz it seems to use higher bandwidth for comparable streams, whether that is just down to the way Qobuz egresses it's traffic vs Tidal i am not sure. Anyway, looks like i will be moving to Qobuz as it stands. Interesting to hear other people's thoughts?

Just to start this one again, i have been using Tidal for a year or so and was excited by the whole MQA thing once i got a Node 2i. Have since discovered that MQA is actually lossy and there is a lot of talk around MQA being inferior etc.

https://youtu.be/pRjsu9-Vznc

I am currently trialing Qobuz and have to say i think the sound quality "seems" better to my ears, especially in Hi-Res. I have also noticed that whilst streaming Qobuz it seems to use higher bandwidth for comparable streams, whether that is just down to the way Qobuz egresses it's traffic vs Tidal i am not sure. Anyway, looks like i will be moving to Qobuz as it stands. Interesting to hear other people's thoughts?

I found exactly the same thing via headphones and speakers. I've stopped my Tidal sub now and only use Qobuz.

This video is expertly researched and explained. The guy even uploaded his own music to Tidal to test their claims.
I’m certainly not a fan of MQA and prefer lossless flac.

Last edited by a moderator:
That link above wouldn’t work for me, I presume this is the same video?

And ear opener!
I have just listened to the Tom Petty American treasures and it still sounds good with the Mystery Quality Added

Up until now I've been a fan of MQA and bought into the hype. After watching this thread I decided to trial Qoboz and do the comparison for myself.

My Setup. Using the Hi Res, MQA enabled LGV30 as a source and playing through USB Audio pro with the MQA decoder added. This is then feed through the IFI Zen DAC which is also MQA authenticated into the Marantz KI Pearl Lite into Revel Concerta M16 speakers. So Quite a decent mid range set up there

So file wise I've tested a few ways. Like for like across both. MQA vs Qobuz Hi Res. Qobuz Hi Res vs Tidal standard FLAC. Basically each permutation and re-tested again with different albums I'm highly familiar with.

My findings? I couldn't tell much difference between any of them at all. Hi Res, MQA or just CD quality FLAC and if I am graced with anything in life I like to think it's a very sharp ear.

I did find on one or two recordings that Tidal sounded a tiny bit richer. Whether or not I was applying some cognitive bias, any differences I think I could hear, I would not have heard if I was not paying extreme attention to every single detail I could.

I've now gone from being an MQA believer to being a Hi Res sceptic period. Officially yes Hi Res audio is a thing, but once again the question needs to be asked, is it audible to the human ear on anything but the highest end equipment? Even then it might not.

I realise now that what I thought was MQA sound quality really just co-insided with me upgrading my equipment to an external DAC and better speakers.

A couple of side notes.

A lot the MQA files are transmitted in 16bit/44100 hz. This itself, by definition, can't be considered "Hi Res"

Also when streaming Tidal direct from my "Hi Res" Sony phone into my headphones the music does not sound half as good as 320Kbps MP3 files played through the phones in built Sony music player which is just bizarre. I have yet to test if I find the same thing on Qobuz.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom