Tidal Masters MQA identification?

leamspaceman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I have a Pioneer XDP 300R and I subscribe to Tidal Hi-Fi. I'm using the android app on the player.

As a Hi-Fi subscriber I have access to the MQA Tidal Masters but there doesn't seem to be a way of identifying if an album is the Tidal Master?

For instance, I searched for the latest U2 album. There are four choices. There is the standard album and the deluxe edition but there are two choices of each. Two are obviously the Hi-Fi versions and two must be the Master MQA versions. But, there is nothing to differentiate them.

When you play Tidal Masters there isn't even an indicator to show it's playing in MQA... you just get the regular 'Hi-Fi' indicator.

Maybe this is different on the desktop version of Tidal?

Maybe I'm missing something in the app?

The XDP-300R doesn’t support MQA via Tidal streaming at the moment (“promised” in a future update of the streaming app). You can only listen to MQA on the 300R via locally stored files using the Pioneer music app.

In reality there's no difference between the master sound and the standard flac. I've tried it through my hifi Andy they sound the same

When you say you’ve ‘tried it through my hifi’, how exactly have you done that? You will only hear a difference if the DAC you are using is capable of rendering the MQA information.

Why do we need MQA anyway flac files are not that big hard drive space is a lot cheaper nowadays
If its for Hi-Res files they are the biggest rip off going, upsalmpled scam files more like

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom