1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tickle the ol' ivories...it's The Pianist.

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Family Guy, Aug 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If anybody hasn't seen this film yet, they are missing out an a major motion picture event. I rented it last night and was glued from minut one...
    Stunning performances from everybody involved - Albert Finney, Maureen Lippman and the ever desirable Emelia Fox (kept expecting Reeves & Mortimer to pop up...)
    It's really a story of one mans survival and how his love of music keeps him sane.
    If you like your movies loud then give this a miss. If you like to be gripped by a story and lost in the wonders of masterful film making, then don't waste any more time. Get down to Blockbuster and hand over your £3.50 - it's worth every penny.
    Move over Schindler List - The Pianist is the new king of the holocaust genre....
    :smashin: :smashin: - Two Big thumbs up from me...

2. ebury

ebury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    The pianist is indeed a great film,but to say its better in telling the story of the holocaust is too much!!Shindlers list remains as the greatest film about this subject by a mile!!So much depth and feeling for all charactors and superb directing by steven spielberg.A masterpiece of film making

3. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But it tells a different story about the holocaust - God knows there are so many to tell. Schindlers List is from The Nazi point of view where as the Pianisttells one mans story of survival while the world was going mad around him...

Each to his own mate but I was gripped by The Pianist. Schindler lost my attention once or twice through the film...

4. APPRIA40WR

APPRIA40WR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Am I the only that thought this was utter garbage? It's story, production standards and accent use made me laugh (unintentionally I assume) several times. Never a good sign in a 'serious' film.

It was saccharine sweet too and it had nothing to say that I hadn't seen done better 10 times before. I felt I was watching a bad 60min soap opera expanded to 2½ hours.

I don't like that actor Brody either -which didn't help. He looks like someone has hit him about the head with a heavy blunt object.

If you want a film that asks questions of the viewer and features pianos then try Michael Haneke's La Pianiste

5. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

6. APPRIA40WR

APPRIA40WR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent bit of vBulletin copy and paste quotation work there.

Schindler's List is the best film about the Holocaust because it's very well scripted, acted, produced, directed and of course more people have seen it than any other film of its type.

Polanski's film is a failure because it's abortive and derivative.

In case anyone doesn't like opinions I'll save you time by pasting this again "Each to his own mate but I was gripped by The Pianist. Schindler lost my attention once or twice through the film..."

So, did anyone think the film was a failure?

7. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah...an educated man. One up on me already...
    I posted this to bring the film to people's attention who may not have fancied watching it.
    I did not post it to get in an argument about what's better. You are entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to mine.
    Do not patronise me. You don't know me...I enjoyed a film and thought I would share my experience with my friends here.
    Your quotes are best kept to youreself...In my opinion of course...

8. ELV

ELV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    To say that the Pianist was better than Shindlers List is a fair comment if you enjoyed it more, each to their own, but to call it garbage and say that you found it amusing in parts and that its been done 10 times better before? I have seen many garbage films in my time, this i don't think was one of them. Did you watch any of the extras, it is apparent that Polanski had a great deal of pride in this film and as for the production standards, maybey he didn't have Spielbergs budget.I personally found them excellent. I have read many books on the Holocaust and i,m not easily suprised by the brutallity that went with it, but the Pianist still managed to shock me on many occasions , I didn't find it funny in the slightest and as for calling it a soap opera, these are indeed about the the lives of everyday people, as was the Pianist but the events surrounding him were what made the story special.If you want a documentary watch "The Last Days" . Also to judge a film by the number of people that go to watch at the cinema?
    You are of course entitled to your'e opinion and i do agree with you that Shindlers List is better but do you have to resort to tittle tattle comments about paste and whatever it is to get your'e point across.
    I enjoyed it also Army Bloke and well done for letting people know what they MIGHT be missing, but then that's up to them to decide....

9. Dougie Styles

Dougie Styles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I enjoyed The Pianist very much, but my personal preference would be Schindlers List.

10. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    HI,

Both films are superb, albeit for vastly different reasons which others have already commented on. To call "The Pianist" 'saccharine sweet' and that the accents 'made you laugh' is rather distasteful in my opinion! :mad: How in God's name can you call this film "saccharine sweet"?! I mean, "Schindler's List" was hardly a laugh-fest was it?! :mad: :mad: Do you even know what you are talking about?

I guess, Appria, that you don't! :eek:

I saw "The Pianist" before Brody won his Oscar, simply because other people told me it was a film well-worth seeing. Having not really seen any trailers or previews for it, the film kept me engrossed for the full 155 minutes. I even actually shed a few tears on one or two moments! So, either you have no feelings in you, or else you simply have more against Polanski and Brody, rather than the film itself. Either way, I genuinely don't believe you "watched" the film, but just viewed it casually.

If you treat the film as a serious piece of drama, and don't think about it, then you should find it pretty bloody engrossing! However, if you found it "saccharine sweet", then may I kindly ask you to go back to something more to your liking, such as the "Teletubbies" or "Bear In The Big Blue House"!

Like Army Bloke says, he wasn't trying to start an argument here, just to highlight what he felt was a good film worth renting. Maybe you should not try to keep turning everything into a fight all the time, and just agree to disagree?!

Pooch

11. APPRIA40WR

APPRIA40WR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ELV wrote: say that you found it amusing in parts

Yes I did. The prodcution values and acting (as I mentioned). Nothing particularly amusing about the back story.

I have seen many garbage films in my time, this i don't think was one of them.

As I have been kindly imformed today "you have your opinion".

Did you watch any of the extras,

No, the film took up enough of my time and I didn't wish to waste any more of it.

it is apparent that Polanski had a great deal of pride in this film

That doesn't make it a good film.

and as for the production standards, maybey he didn't have Spielbergs budget.

You don't need high budgets to produce a good script or have your actors speak with a half decent accent. The Pianist was strictly by the numbers day time TV.

I have read many books on the Holocaust

Well, that would have no bearing on my opinion as to whether the film was any good or not as entertainment.

Also to judge a film by the number of people that go to watch at the cinema?

Go back and read my comments. I said Schindler's List was a better film for several reasons -including the fact it spread the message more because it was a BETTER film and tht's why more people have seen it.

You are of course entitled to your'e opinion and i do agree with you that Shindlers List is better but do you have to resort to tittle tattle comments about paste and whatever it is to get your'e point across.

Well, I made some valid points (my 'opinions') and he replied with a stupid quote -which could be used if we were talking about the taste of bananas.

I enjoyed it also Army Bloke and well done for letting people know what they MIGHT be missing,

Indeed, and since this is a public board everyone's comments are equally valid. If he doesn't want replies he shouldn't post or perhaps start his own board and lock the thread so nobody can offer an 'opinion'.

12. APPRIA40WR

APPRIA40WR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PoochJD wrote:

"The Pianist" 'saccharine sweet' and that the accents 'made you laugh' is rather distasteful in my opinion!

Why is my pointing out the bad technical qualities of a film distasteful?

How in God's name can you call this film "saccharine sweet"?! I mean

Do you know what that means? If something is 'sugary sweet' then it's disgusting Disney styled and if it's 'saccharine sweet' then it's even worse because it's not quite sugar but it's just too sweet. I refer to the characters, production style, story and their acting -not the back story.

"Schindler's List" was hardly a laugh-fest was it?!

What's that got to do with anything?

Do you even know what you are talking about?

It's evident you may not.

the film kept me engrossed for the full 155 minutes.

I'm glad you liked it -you should be equally glad I don't. If you aren't then maybe you learned nothing from the film.

So, either you have no feelings in you, or else you simply have more against Polanski and Brody, rather than the film itself.

It's a bad film. I told you I had feelings and they were of humour at the mess of the film, accents and acting etc. I have nothing against Polanski or Brody as I don't know them personally. As professionals Polanski has made many good films. Brody is awful full stop.

Either way, I genuinely don't believe you "watched" the film, but just viewed it casually.

I only watch films casually if I'm on a plane.

If you treat the film as a serious piece of drama

But it isn't. You want me to lie to myself that it's worthy of my time?

and don't think about it, then you should find it pretty bloody engrossing!

What, like Police Academy 7? So, you don't what me to think about the film at all but accuse me of watching films casually...

However, if you found it "saccharine sweet", then may I kindly ask you to go back to something more to your liking, such as the "Teletubbies" or "Bear In The Big Blue House"!

I have wide and eccletic tastes in films but they all have somethig in common -they MUST be good films.

Like Army Bloke says, he wasn't trying to start an argument here, just to highlight what he felt was a good film worth renting.

Well, that's great, but I'm allowed my opinion as this is a public discussion area. You don't need to to comment if you don't want to.

Maybe you should not try to keep turning everything into a fight all the time, and just agree to disagree?!

It's called discussion and freedom to debate -the very thing the Nazis didn't like in that film you love so much.

I'll have my say, then.

13. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So how was my quote stupid? Please explain - or are you just out to **** a lot of people off?
    Going by what PoochJD has said, and I have never read any of your other posts so can not confirm it, you seem to go out of your way to disagree with everything anybody says on this forum...
    I would like to be proved wrong...have you ever started a thread of your own? Or do you just wait in the shadows reading everybody else's picking one person a day to wind up...?
    Must be my unlucky day.
    Mods - please close this thread. It's going nowhere. I will refrain from reccomending films to my fellow forum members in the future for fear of upsetting people like apria40wr who seems to think that no one is entitled to their own opinions and then states it's a public board...I will refrain from calling people names...

14. ELV

ELV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Perhaps you didn't have time to watch the extras because you couldn't wait to slag the film off. As for stupid quotes, you must know quite a few and bananas???? and as for watching the film for entertainment, I like when possible to be educated when i watch a film, some do this some don't, the underlying wish of many Holocaust survivors is that people do not forget what happened, if the film helps this cause and entertains then great, don't though watch them just to be entertained.

15. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well said - :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: ;)

16. APPRIA40WR

APPRIA40WR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is that the best answers you guys have to my questions?

Army Bloke, I'm not going to say you are stupid don't worry.

Like I said you've all learned nothing from the film (ie me having an opinion you don't like and being able to express it) which is rather pathetic since you've been banging on about how great it is yet have missed its message.

I don't mind people having opinions I'm glad to say. I do have a problem with stupid people but I'm working on that daily.

17. ELV

ELV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I do think you need to grow up, and what's with the bananas. I won't be bothering to answer your'e comments any more as iv'e better things to do with my time on these forums. Perhaps you should go and learn some manners.

18. APPRIA40WR

APPRIA40WR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Brilliant and cutting reply [​IMG]

----------------------------------------------------------------
    Since he can't reply without an attack I will give give Army Bloke's reply to save him the bother:

[​IMG]

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Grate replys ELV!

----------------------------------------------------------------

19. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :rolleyes:
    Can't you see - you have spoilt a perfectly good thread by making personal attacks on myself and ELV...I can't understand people like you, I really can't. Do you carry a sack of spuds around on your other shoulder to balance out the weight of the chip...?

I was prepared to leave it at that - but you threw in another insult with the delibrate mis-spelling of great when I had not even made a comment. This is now personal. I am now going to report this thread to a moderator...

20. APPRIA40WR

APPRIA40WR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is now personal. I am now going to report this thread to a moderator...

A moderator has already posted.

21. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Before you started your personal attacks on me...you are out of order - and the sad thing is, I don't think you can see it...:rolleyes:
    And please, point out a post where I have attacked you personally...all I have called you is an educated man - which you obviously are.
    You have called me stupid twice - not directly. You have tried your best to disguise the fact....as I said, I have now reported this to a mod...I hope your days of insulting people and looking down at everybody on these forums are coming to an end...

22. APPRIA40WR

APPRIA40WR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some might say his post was an attack.

23. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So what did I do to provoke your attacks - apart from using the vbulletin quote function - which I don't see as an attack BTW. Please, I am still waiting for you to tell me how I am stupid also...I'd love to know.

24. APPRIA40WR

APPRIA40WR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have now reported this to a mod...I think hope your days of insulting people and looking down at everybody on these forums are coming to an end...

Hopefully, that report isn't to PoochJD

25. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It wasn't...he's involved as far as I am concerned and can hardly take an unbiased look at the thread now could he...?

26. APPRIA40WR

APPRIA40WR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am still waiting for you to tell me how I am stupid

I never said you were stupid.

27. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You implied it - twice...
    followed by

28. APPRIA40WR

APPRIA40WR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How can I think you're stupid if I don't know you?

I think (know) your quote was stupid. No point in me raking over why I think that. Maybe you can reread the entire thread.

I've attacked nobody -it's all been one way traffic against (including a reply from a moderator (who should know better)) me because I expressed a perfectly valid and honest opinion.

29. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,054
    APPRIA40WR your replies to people in this are bordering on argumentitive and abusive.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion and we like a good discussion on the good and bad points of any particular film but when you start making personal attacks and calling people stupid for their opinion it goes to far.

What started out as a perfectly good thread from Army Bloke about The Pianist has now become nothing more than you having a go at Army Bloke and anyone else who appears to disagree with your thoughts.

This thread is now closed.

Greg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.