TI announce Darkship 4 DLP chip

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Avi, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Avi

Avi
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,064
    ]http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/prnewswire/AQTH08206092007-1.htm

"DENVER, Sept. 6 /PRNewswire/ -- DLP(R) Products from Texas Instruments (TI) today announced the introduction of a new chipset, DarkChip(TM) 4, that furthers the position of DLP as a leader in picture quality and contrast ratio. The new chipset is reported to deliver 30% or more increase in native contrast ratio depending upon the application. All DLP product lines, including DLP HDTVs, DLP 1-chip projectors and DLP 3-chip projectors currently feature products with various chipset iterations of DarkChip technology. The new DarkChip 4 will be available in a number of products in 2008.

(Photo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20070906/AQTH082)

"Using our current DLP chipsets, our customers have built some of the most competitive Home Theater products in the market, all with excellent picture quality," said Lars Yoder, vice president, DLP Front Projection Business Unit at TI. "We are proud to introduce the next generation of the DLP chip for future product implementations. It will provide our customers even more flexibility for designing projectors that can meet the needs of a wide range of markets."

The DarkChip 4 process was first developed for the high brightness and contrast picture quality requirements of the digital cinema industry, of which DLP Cinema(R) is the founder and uncontested world leader. The contrast improvements from DarkChip 4 are achieved by advances in mirror design lithography and other proprietary process changes.

DLP uses a streamlined optical system that efficiently reflects light to the screen, resulting in a stunning viewing experience -- crisper whites, ultra-rich blacks and images that "pop" on-screen, making it ideal for unforgettable presentations or movies. DLP-based products are known for their native contrast ratio levels which ultimately sets minimum product contrast ratio level for all scene content. Native contrast ratio also sets the "black level" of the system.

"We are constantly searching and innovating new ways to create simply the best HDTV experience. The better the native contrast performance our mirrors can deliver, the more images will jump of the screen," said Adam Kunzman, DLP HDTV business manager. "This breakthrough, combined with our other innovations, vibrant colors, high resolution, clarity and digital imaging, gives our customers a competitive and unique advantage in the marketplace".

At CEDIA (booth #620) DLP is showing multiple demonstrations, of the capabilities of the new chipset innovation. The DLP DarkChip(TM) 4 Theater features a 3 chip, 1080p DLP projector featuring the new chipset producing trillions of colors combined with a native contrast ratio of 15,000:1. Additionally, there is a demonstration of a DLP HDTV with DarkChip 4 and LED illumination with a native contrast performance beyond 100,000 to 1."

AVI

2. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    Looks like some great models will be out this year, and next year even more. JVC entering the front projection market with DILA seems to have really pushed competition into overdrive, so after years of plodding evoltion it looks like were gonna get some really (relatievely) revolutionary products.

Glad i've upgraded already as it looks like a tough time for those who wanna hold on for the better product and best value, never mind ultimate image.

3. Avi

Avi
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,064
    The DarkChip 4 sounds promising but the issue is cost for a three chipper. The new Sim2 C3X is a nice PJ but £20k is high considering the rate that technology changes. If it's possible to achieve similar levels of performance on single chippers without RBE and at a sensible price it could be good news. :)

AVI

4. linnite

linnite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    I've just made the specific decision to wait.

If you are not careful you will wait for ever for the 'perfect' product but just now seems a good time to hold off for 6 months. There seem to be some big advances in what you get for a given price just now.

5. The Nightfly

The Nightfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Arrgghh.. I'm keen to upgrade my 720p H79 DLP to something 1080p and with more contrast, etc. and was becoming interested in the new Sony VW60 but worried about loss of sharpness/image depth so would really prefer 1080p DLP. But DLP can't compete with the new Pearl for on/off contrast ratio. Now it appears DLP is fighting back to some extent with a new DC4 chip but chances are it'll probably take the best part of a year before we see it in an affordable 1080p projector. Oh, and maybe by then the next generation Pearl will be announced with motion-flow (actually, motion blurring is probably higher on my list of areas for improvement than resolution).

I've owned three projectors in the last five years and far from the technology maturing and settling down, all of a sudden things seem to have taken off again and moving as fast as I've ever known it.

Linnite - we see to have similar taste in audio systems. Mine is Akurate CD, Klimax Kontrol, Artikulate 320A's

6. Avi

Avi
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,064
    The Sharp 20/21K maybe worth investigating. IIRC it can achieve over 10k:1on/off and high ansi albeit at the expense of lumens. But if you don't have a large screen or use a high gain material it may be a good compromise. It also doesn't use a dynamic iris that may be an issue with the VW60.

AVI

7. The Nightfly

The Nightfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Avi,

Thanks for the suggestion. I've considered the Sharp's, they would be perfect for my 6ft across screen but unfortunately I'm in a fairly small room and need something with a throw range of around 1.5 to 2.0. It's the reason I've already considered and discounted the Optoma HD81/80 and Infocus IN82. Sim2 D80 would fit nicely ;) but cost is a bit higher than I would want to pay, especially with projector tech's current rate of progress. VW60 would work and my hopes had been raised by initial prices of < $3900 in the states, only to be dashed by rumoured UK pricing.

8. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +189
    It's specmanship gone mad.

I'm all for improved specifications but to be honest. How many of us have the environment that will genuinely allow us to see above 5,000:1 let alone 15,000:1.
    You really would have to be sitting in a flat black bat cave with total light control and probably wearing a balaclava to see it.

What they need to do is stop upping the marketing specs and start working on the barriers that prevent entry from the mass market.

Stuff like:-

* Very long bulb life - guaranteed 10,000 hrs +
    * Silent operation
    * Lens shift for easy placement
    * Generous zoom options
    * less then 500 quid

9. Avi

Avi
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,064
    The Sim2 D80 has dropped a fair but recently. In fact I think it's now cheaper than the Sharp 21k but at £4.5 is still relatively expensive compared to the others you mention.

Hope you get sorted soon. :)

AVI

10. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    Anyone know where I can get a good supply of balaclava's? will need plenty and i don't think my firends will want to share :D

11. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +189
    Balaclava's are easy to get. I found getting the black velvet gimp suit a tad on the tricky side...

I'd post photos but all you can see is a pair of eyeballs and grinning teeth... :D

12. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    I would go for the man from milk tray look myself, but i guess theres no accounting taste :rotfl:And any excuse to get the females in a leather catsuit the better :D

On a more serious side the improvement in contrast is likely to be suitable, but the better black levels and better video scaling/processing that comes with all this arch of technology, will make the biggest difference. There also seems to be a tendency to produce a high brightness version of popular top of the midrange units, which might make day time viewing more of a possibility.

Better screen technology is likely to have a much bigger improvement in my opinion though.

13. linnite

linnite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Think overall your system is up a notch or two though! Mine has home cinema duties of course, I don't run two systems.

Do you ever go on the topica Linn forum? It is quite quiet over there, we could do with a few new faces if you ever get a moment.

14. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,447
    With total light control any room should be able to realise high on/off contrast - it's ANSI/simultaneous contrast where the room can limit the pjs ability.

When 'projecting' black, there is very little light coming out of the pj so the room has no real effect, but when projecting both light and dark in a non optimal room, the light bits wash out the dark bits due to reflections from walls etc.

Gary

15. Zag

Zag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    ' TI announce Darkship 4 DLP chip ' :(

Far better IMO would be:

' TI announce no more RBE for single chip DLP '

Now that would get me excited...

Why has so little been done to address DLPs biggest failing?????

16. Voo

Voo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've heard that liquorice helps with the teeth. Some nice dark glasses should reduce eyeball reflections and also improve black levels :D

17. mikeaitch

mikeaitch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I went this exact route, in fact went back to my 78dc3 when my HD1 went back for upgrading. There is a world of difference for me, no contest. I love sharp images,but going back to dlp after some time with the HD1 accentuated the processed, digital look of dlp for me.

18. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +189
    LOL. :D