thx ultra 2 receiver matched with a thx select speaker system?

enthusiast01

Standard Member
i had been looking at the denon 4310 or pio lx72 originaly to match up to a set of teufel thx select speakers but have been looking around and come across the onky tx-nr906 and the yamaha dsp-z7 and the onkyo just seems to give so much for the money being the cheapest and seemingly best spec'd at the same time but didnt know if being a thx ultra2plus receiver it would be a bit much for these speakers?(also only sitting about 9 feet away from where the center is with the back wall only a few inches further back but side speakers do have a fair bit more room to breath) also the yamaha did seem like a pretty well spec'd receiver for around the same price. any help appreciated and also if i could get an idea of the differences in how each make sounds as i have nowhere nearby to audition really?

Member 639844

Former Advertiser
One thing to bear in mind is that the THX certification takes into account the (price) level of product. So a £100 THX certified speaker system wont be a match for a THX certified £5000 AV amp.

If you want a THX product then thats fine, but its still all about getting a demo of the products your looking at for purchase. As for amps, the specs are one thing, and nice to have, but the amplification and power supply are where the real money goes when you start upping the budget. I'd find it hard to say the Onkyo is better than the Z7, that said I'm a big fan of Onkyos and run one myself. I know nothing of Teufel speakers other than they seem to be gathering some recognition as time goes by.

It's tough for anyone to know which you'll like, or which amp will go best with those speakers. Perhaps a member near you might be willing to let you listen to their kit if with either amps if possible. I really think a demo is the way forward. Sorry I couldnt be of more help though lol, but thats my thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator:

peter350

Novice Member
As you will know you won't be able to demo your Teufels before you buy but you get 8 weeks to send them back if you don't like them.

I internet shopped a pioneer lx72 to go with my Teufel LT 6 THX set. I selected the lx72 by experience of various amps and receivers over the years and, I confess without shame, a large degree of THX badge shopping (if it makes me happy, why not, it's my money:)).

Thoroughly delighted with both the speakers and the lx72 at 4 weeks in. I doubt I will be recalling the large pallet and the DHL lorry the speakers came on.

Obviously your experience/ room/ personal preference may vary.

Peter

I agree there is no harm in THX badge shopping, but it relies on manufacturers buying into and paying for THX certification and many don't.

IMHO THX certfication is no guarantee of anything apart from payment for it.

Member 639844

Former Advertiser
I agree there is no harm in THX badge shopping, but it relies on manufacturers buying into and paying for THX certification and many don't.

You seriously believe THX simply sell badges?

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
As well as being a guarantee of fulfilment of a whole collection of specifications, in an A/V processor (amplifier, receiver), it is also a statement of the inclusion of the corresponding licensed THX technologies.

enthusiast01

Standard Member
Cheers for the input guys, yeah i would love to be able to demo but as has been mentioned i will not be able to find my teufels in any store to audition with the receivers.
so i take from this that the fact that the onkyo is very powerfull and thxultra2plus that this should not be too much for the tuefel thx select speakers?:confused:

(as the onkyo is the cheapest of the bunch) oh and i would assume that the onkyo has definately packed some quality gear in there purely based on that it weighs at least 5 kilo's more than the other receivers? or is this a bad analogy?lol

well i have brought it down to the lx72 pio, 4310 denon and the onkyo nr 906, just remembered from the past never really liked the sound of yammy and gues that wont have changed. its strange on paper the less you spend with these three speakers the more you seem to get! ultimately it comes down to that i want it to sound the best, the good video scaling and features (isf onkyo)etc would just be a very nice bonus! can anyone just try and explain the sound that each make tends to give in comparison to each other?

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
The teufel will have no problems with the Onkyo as far as power is concerned. Remember, power is controlled solely and exclusively by the volume control, which is entirely under your control. It is irrelevant how much power any receiver can deliver, provided you don't try to achieve volumes beyond what the speaker can produce before the voice coil melts under the heat.

enthusiast01

Standard Member
The teufel will have no problems with the Onkyo as far as power is concerned. Remember, power is controlled solely and exclusively by the volume control, which is entirely under your control. It is irrelevant how much power any receiver can deliver, provided you don't try to achieve volumes beyond what the speaker can produce before the voice coil melts under the heat.
sorry not really explaining myself very well, i had guessed that i could just keep the dial set low but would this be better, worse, or no different to me running a lower powered receiver like the denon set a bit higher? sorry my understanding here is not great?
would you be able to give any idea as to how onkyo tend to sound in comparisson to denon and pioneer?
ah and also which do the best in terms of video proccessing?

sorry for all the questions but just trying not to go buying completely blind here as i have nowhere nearby to check any of these receivers out.

gandley

Novice Member
Areadvd has a bunch of teufel reviews, in german but just translate with live search.

Rated quite well. Also remember your your card company may charge a commision for the transaction, so add that to your cost.

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
You will not need to keep the volume dial any lower using even the most amazing 1000W monoblocks. Volume controls are calibrated in dB, relative to the gain, and this is the same for a 20W as for a 1000W amp.

What a massive amp will do is let you play deafeningly loud before it clips. A lower powered receiver will clip at a lower volume. A higher powered receiver's ability to deliver the higher power will also enable you to melt the voice coil faster. Clipping will also damage the speakers.

The best video processing is done by your TV, as that's what it's designed to do, unlike an all-in-one audio device.

At the risk of provoking strong reactions: Denon, Pioneer, Onkyo, Sony and Yamaha all sound about the same for the same cost, so your personal preference (auditioning!) is of significantly greater value than any comment any of us may make. Hence you need to find a solution to the "I have nowhere nearby to check any of these receivers out" problem (even if you do live on a remote island north of Scotland).

j0hn

Banned
why dont you ask teufel themselves? always goto the source where ever possible.
Im betting they have tried their lower spec'd speakers on THX ultra II amps just to see what they can do. Looking here FAQ it states the crossover for THX select speakers is 100hz THX ultra II is spec'd to 80hz

ULTRA II is the daddy and does carry alot of weight despite what others will have you believe.

looking at Teufel's influence they really seem to have been around and have their gear used by some "big hitters" in the media world. Seems really good value. If only they sold just 3 fronts I may have given it a punt but I just do not take to being forced a sub and rears that I do not need. Shame really.

Hope you enjoy your speakers and return to let us know :)

j0hn

Banned
If only they sold just 3 fronts I may have given it a punt but I just do not take to being forced a sub and rears that I do not need. Shame really.

Further investigation, (read poking around their site ;)) reveals you can buy them singularly or in twos (so you can make 5.1, 7.1 etc) They dont seem to shout about it , preferring you to buy a whole set (see FAQ)

so hmm, 8 weeks return, if not happy all return shipping payed for, 12yr guarantee .....