1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

THX / THX Select / THX Ultra????

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by themmings, Dec 15, 2002.

1. themmings

themmings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Forum:

Can somebody give me an insight into what these different cetifications mean, and how much 'real' difference one would expect to hear on a THX specified amp/receiver.

Also, is it worth picking up an amp with one of the above certifications on it, if you are not running the sound through likewise certified speakers?

I am thinking of purchasing the Pioneer AX2011 - and running it through the B&W Sub/Sat speaker package.

Thanks,

Tim:)

2. daninthemix

daninthemix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please don't fall prey to these certifications. I'm sure there are those who swear by them, by I would like to raise the following:

1. For processors, it simply means there is a DSP doing THX re-EQ post processing, which I for one hate due to it making everything sound dull. For power amps, it means a ceiling on distortion and minimum power output. For speakers it means similar...

2. Companies who license THX have to PAY for it, which means YOU have to pay for it in their products. :eek:

3. It can arguably be seen as yet another stage thrown between the retrieval of data from a disc, and the hearing of it via ones ears.

Go for components based on sound quality, and whether they fulfill your requirements or not, not badges and logos on the fascia...

3. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Careful there dan, people have been shot for less inflamatory posts. First I'll address your concerns, then I'll try to answer Tim's post.
    1. Re-Eq is not the only THX post processing enhancement, and on most processors and receivers it can be disengaged. Timbre Matching and De-Correllation are two of the others and they very useful IMHO. Re-Eq's usefulness depends on whether the soundtrack has been mastered with a hump in the frequency response so that it sounds right through an acoustically transparent screen.
    2. THX certification is a costly process, ask John Dawson about how much it costs, but in terms of marketing it's not really that useful. What it does guarantee is a level of performance for your hard earned money, something that is harder to come by than you might think.
    3. THX processing is performed by the DSP, the same one which extracts matrix information for Pro-Logic & Pro-Logic II and does the decoding of DD & DTS. It all happens in one go, so there is no 'extra stage' between the source and the output.

You're totally right though about buying something for the sound-quality and not the badges and logos on it. :cool:

Tim,

THX Select is a specification for rooms under 2,000 cu ft. THX Ultra and Ultra 2 are for larger rooms, with Ultra 2 being designed with both AV and Music in mind. No-one really knows the exact requirements that products have to meet, but you are usually guarranteed a high quality and well made product for your money, so it's worth going for THX just for peace of mind. As for what differences it makes, that's a very subjective issue and can't really be quantified.

Great choice of amp BTW - I'm after one for myself and I don't run a THX speaker package either.

4. themmings

themmings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    EvilMudge: Thanks for taking the time to respond and answering my questions.

My short list of amps was between the Pioneer, the Denon 3802 and the Arcam AVR200.

The Arcam is a solid performer, but IMO lacks a few bells and whistles, although it's a belter from a hi-fi point of view.

The Denon was my biggest 'other card'! However - whats the new 3803 going to be like, and when's it going to be released, for how much and.... will it be available in silver???

Daninthemix: thanks for your comments too - all taken on board.

5. 337GUS

337GUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
  6. lukes

lukes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm also looking at the pioneer system 2011 I have looked at others in the £799 price bracket, but this is the only one that seems to give me every thing I need (USB, THX, DDII, etc...)

with the pioneer s-w110-ql sub and 5 spealer system (100W fronts the rest are 80w) s-v310-ql

Total cost of about £1200 - is this good

Out of intrest I will be using my Philips DVD player 751 with this will I be able to use all of the different sound stands?

Do you recommend and other system?

Thanks

L.

7. themmings

themmings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    LUKES: Not familiar with the price of your speakers - but the Pioneer amp is kicking around at a few places for £699. Private mail me if you struggle to find them.

337GUS: Thanks for the link.

8. malariaboy

malariaboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    just a quick line m8
    ive got the pioneer 2011 and it is well worth considering
    im using it with b&w speakers and 656a dvd player

dont think youll find better at the price m8

9. themmings

themmings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks Malariaboy.

Whilst we are on the subject of this amp - can anyone confirm whether it has got audio delay to help with Lip Sync problems when watching various sources on plasma screens?

And if so - does it do the trick?

If it hasn't can anybody tell me what amps have?

Thanks all.

Tim:D

10. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Don´t think it has but someone else will have to confirm it.

Amps that have the Master Audio Delay are the new Denon 3803, A1SR, upgraded A1SE, couple of the Onkyo receivers have it, as does the Arcam AV8 processor.

11. Craig Sowerby

Craig Sowerby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi
    I'm afraid to say that your points made regarding THX are
    not totally accurate, have a quick look at a reply i posted on a similar subject, this might help.
    If you would like clarification on any of the THX related topics, or home theatre in general please feel free to ask me and i will try and answer them as soon as possible.

12. lukes

lukes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guy's,

Thanks

themmings - I have sent you a PM

2011 - here I come

L.