1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

THX System - Benefits? -BestTHX system?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Ango, Jun 4, 2005.

1. Ango

Ango
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

I'm looking to upgrade my Home cinema system. I was looking into THX but I'm not clear on exactly what it is.

Is it a better type of surround sound? How much would a THX Surround system cost around? £1000, £5000 ?

Thanks!

Andrew.

2. HSC

HSC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    http://www.thx.com/mod/products/homeTheatre.html

THX is a sound and picture processing technology - a sort of quality standard....that George Lucas came up with and is based at his Skywalker Ranch.

The THX Certification program can be applied to all types of software (e.g. Theatre Film, DVD) and Hardware (Screens, Amps, Speakers etc) at the choice of the manufacturer...
    Note there are many post-processing options too (e.g. THX Select, Ultra and Ultra2)

and cost....the skies the limit...

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    To get a fully THX cerified AV system is likely to cost many thousands of pounds.
    My speakers, subwoofer & processor are all THX but the DVD player, cables, screen etc are not. I am not aware of any THX DVD players, but due to the costs of getting anything THX certified I would think they would be well out of my budget. And then there is the plasma, video processor and all the cables. Therefore I would think that even with a lot of planning and shopping around you would be spending an absolute fortune to get a fully THX setup!

You then need to think about wheather THX will give better performance. IMO there are many receivers, amps, DVD players, speakers etc that are excellent even though not THX certified. Many manufacturers don't put their equipment up for certification simply because of the cost which would then be passed on making the final selling cost higher. With the tight margins and large range of products available higher cost would certainly cause fewer sales.

At the end of the day you need to demo everything, and if it sounds/looks good to you then buy it. Don't buy something just because it has the THX badge on it!

Mark.

4. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    its basically a load of old ******

5. roman-r

roman-r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Couldn't agree more :D

If you want high quality then just buy a high spec product from a reputable manufacturer - that simple :smashin:

6. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +721
    Coming from on owner of all THX equipment,from DVD player (Denon DVD-A1) through to speakers, I agree with the above.

The THX sound formats (e.g. THX 5.1 or THX Ultra2 Cinema) have no merit with DVD's that already have been EQ'd for the home environment. Using a THX sound mode on top kills the high frequency detail and makes it sound dull.

THX as a quality standard still has some merit in that it does assure you the kit has passed lots of stringent quality standards set by Lucasfilm.
    However, obtaining the licence to declair your product as THX rated is very costly, and there are many examples of non THX kit that are as good if not better than their THX counterparts.

I never use the THX sound modes on my amp, and I certainly wouldn't ignore a quality of peice of kit just because it didn't carry a THX badge.

7. SamirP

SamirP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Mark here's a few THX dvd players (Select, Ultra & Ultra2)

http://www.thx.com/mod/products/productFind.html

8. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,736
    Not strictly true imho...there are many speaker/amp combinations that at - certainly high listening levels - can end up being a little on the edgey side. THX processing can help to reduce this "edginess" of the high frequencies.

That said, overall I would agree that there is no merit in having everything THX certfied. You'll simply be paying for a badge:)

9. radio

radio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Im sure you can find the "badging" seperatly somewhere on sale ;) You can yourself thx certify your equipment from your toaster to your toothbrush.

:D

10. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I for one find THX, THX-EX or THX2 processing to be anything but *******'s. Such an inference to a "novice" on the subject is not very helpful in my opinion.

It may well depend on what you wish to acheive, but simplistically home THX processing looks to replicate the X-Curve frequency response to which a THX cinema is callibrated to. The common line "it removes some top end" etc etc is misleading in that this is what it is designed to do. In a THX certified cinema the front speaker array will lie behind the projection screen (although this is common practice in none THX cinemas). A tailored (3db i believe) lift is applied to part of the frequency bandwidth to these channels to compensate for them being placed behind the screen. Home THX processing, amongst several other (good) things, counters this lift on the premise that your speakers will not be behind anything.
    There are many places to source info on what THX processing does to save me typing etc
    THX speakers are designed with a different dispersion pattern to the norm and generally are at their happiest when being played at something approaching reference levels.
    THX2 speakers have a more relaxed requirement in terms of dispersion presumably to allow a more civil approach to musical content.
    THX subwoofers are designed to be able to drive rooms of a given minimum cubic capacity to reference level and to be able reach down to 20hz. There are lots of subwoofers that exceed THX specification without the THX logo.
    THX amplification is in my opinion a bit hit or miss. It guarantees a minimum of 100w per channel, all channels driven simultaneously into 4 or 8 ohms. Again there are lots of non-THX amps out there of equal or superior quality.
    THX dvd players are out there, PAL THX certification being a later addition. The certification refers to the compliance or accuracy (as required by THX) of the video processing.

Personally having owned THX Ultra/2 certified pieces of kit from all these catagories over the years i feel it is fair to say that with the exception of THX processing the remainder could be considered as superfluous by some. I no longer have THX certified speakers or subwoofers and the DVD player and Amplifiers were bought regardless of the badge.
    THX processing can be used for older non-dvd sources as well as older brittle sounding soundtracks, IMHO it is far better to have than to have not.

Regards

Steven

11. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,736
    Hits the nail on the head :) [imho]

12. Jase

Jase