1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

THX Surround EX / DD EX

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Rolo Tomasi, Jul 3, 2003.

1. Rolo Tomasi

Rolo Tomasi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Is there a difference between these two?

My reciever has the THX version and, compared to ordinary 5.1DD, it sounds dull.

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When you select THX mode it sets all crossovers to 80hz (small 80hz, subwoofer rolloff to 80hz) and enables the re-eq mode, and the other THX modes..

I personally like re-eq, I enable this for DD... I don't press the THX button though. I use normal DD 5.1 or DD 5.1 with Logic 7 enhancements.

3. Rolo Tomasi

Rolo Tomasi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I've used L7 occasionally on my HK8500 but it tends to redistribute the sounds. For example, on Toy Story 2 when the toys have crossed the road to Al's Toy Barn, the street light falling sound moves from the surround left speaker to the fronts, mirroring the screen action with DD. With L7, the falling sound just goes from back to front ie less precise steering. I'm not sure I like this blurring of the discrete channel effects.

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe the Logic 7 in the HK amps doesn't expand 5.1 directly for 7.1. It has to downmix it to stereo, then Logic 7 upmixes it 7.1

Wheras the Lexicon's Logic 7 expands 5.1 to 7.1 without any downmixing.

Read it on avsforums. Could be twoddle I guess.