1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

THX speakers on Denon 380x amps?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by garrad, Dec 11, 2002.

1. garrad

garrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, I have a Denon 3801 amp and I am wanting to upgrade my whole system to THX Ultra spec. I currently have the KEF homecimena speakers in a 7.1 setup.

Now I was thinking of upgrading the amp but feel the upgrade to the speakers first would be better.

Would THX spec speakers work well with the Denon 3801 amp? If so has anyone had experience running THX speakers on lower spec amps?

2. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,054
    I used Boston 555 thx speaker with my 3801, and currently using M&K750THX with it. The denon does get a little hard edged with stuff when pushed. I intend to add power amps to mine(use it as processor) then get a tag,arcam or whatever when funds allow.

You shouldn't have any trouble pushing some THX speakers like the new Jamo range which i believe are 8ohm, but M&K stuff at 4ohm needs more power than the 3801 can muster on its own.

3. garrad

garrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info. I'm probably going to go for the THX speaker upgrade first after reading the posts. Just I got to make sure that I get speakers that are going to run well with the Denon 3801 and then later with a power amp.

This is getting really complicated for an upgrade. What makes of THX spec speakers are there for fronts and is there any major difference between them all?

4. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    it depends on your bdget but the following companies do thx speakers:
    m&k
    Boston
    Kef
    Jamo
    Mordaunt Short
    sonance
    there are more than these, but als i can't think of anymore of the top of my head!
    like any speaker, there are many differences but have only ever heard m&k stuff and they sound great. i would personally go for a thx amp though and buy a speaker package that you like the sound of, the thx range of speakers don't usually get good write-ups with music.

5. garrad

garrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah but I am sure they will sound better than the Kef Eggs I have for music. They are not bad but I have a pair of Monitor Audio Bronse 2's and they are much better than the kef's for music. Also I tried the Mission 7 pack and I thought they were awful with music, I didn't like the sound at all. (Though great for home cinema)

Yeah, I think I'm going to aim at a home cinema system rather than an all rounder this time.

So I think i'm going to buy a set of THX front speakers then later buy a THX center then purchase a THX spec Poweramp and work on it that way. Once I have all my speakers and poweramps I'll hook up with a THX preamp then a THX dvd player (or what ever the latest standard is then)