1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

THX select-worth it?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by TopMeTom, Aug 31, 2003.

1. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Hi,

out of the following what would you recommend to replace my ageing yammy dsp-a5 amp?

Pioneer vxs-d2011 £699
    Denon 3803 £699
    Onkyo tx-sr701 £630
    Do you think going for a thx-select amp will make any difference?
    What else do you recommend? Connection possibly to a 757ai dvd,bose speakers,panny6 plasma?
    What do you reckon?

Phil :hiya:

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Remove the Bose speakers from that setup and it'll be a good system.

Although if you're looking for a tiny sub-sat system the £600/£700 AV amps are OTT.. checkout the models at £300-£400.

As for speakers- consider M&K K Series (these do require a good amp- as they're 4Ohm), Ruark Vita, Kef Eggs, Energy Take 5.1, Ruark Epilogue system...there's loads of models out there with better build, sound than Bose cereal box junk.

As for THX, it's mainly sound processing (ie Re-Eq etc). checkout THX's website & do a search here for more info.

3. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    I think the bose are good thanks!;)
    not replacing them

Phil

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Then I wouldn't even consider changing the amp. You only need a little bit of power for Bose speakers. The Yamaha A5 can drive Kef Coda floorstanders perfectly fine- so I doubt it's struggling with the Bose.

I think it's a bit daft having good source, amp & display (although I don't like Plasma myself) and limiting yourself to speakers where the actual production cost is about $5 for the speaker drivers. They aren't good speakers. Good marketing strategy; and Bose's ability to con the mass public that they're better than M&K's, Kef, B&W.. they sound on a similar level to my £150 PC speakers.

5. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As Nathan says, I would seriously consider replacing the Bose speakers.
    They are nice in the same way that a friend's very plain looking sister is nice. She ain't ugly, but she sure ain't beautiful either.:devil:

6. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Don’t Forget Them Marantz Amps very Good and some bargains about at the moment you should be able to get a 7300 for under £500. Any of the Marantz will be a step up from your A5 with 2 channel and 5.1/6.1, Pro Logic II is a great. My last amp was the A5 and even my wife noticed the difference!

With THX select it ensures an amplifier is built to a certain set of guidelines it also offers certain Features processing Etc, if you are interested in the features then yes it is worth it but it does not guarantee it is a good amplifier, even though in the eyes of the general public it can represent a good Quality/Performance, when all it guarantees is an income for Mr Lucas. As it becomes the norm in the public eye more and more amps are having it. I am not saying the THX amps you mention are not any good, but you need to look past badges and have a listen.

I would suggest you go to a Hi-Fi shop and have a listen to some amps, make a shortlist of amps that meet your requirements on paper and possibly try some different speakers while you are there.

7. Craig Sowerby

Craig Sowerby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi,

I have used all of these units and they are all good, my money
    would be on the Onkyo personally, it is much better than the model it replaces and costs less.

Everybody can benefit from THX post processing at some point, even if you do not have a THX speaker system, i think i posted some info on THX post processing somewhere else, if not and you would like a bit more info let me know, i can do it on here or email some to you, whatever.

8. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why not recommend going for a Rotel 1095 whilst your at it? :rolleyes:

It will sound so much better, as the Bose do really need that much power. Or maybe get a Krell.:laugh:

9. thxultra

thxultra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi Philb

I would save yourself a bit of money and buy my denon avc-10se thx ULTRA which you can find for sale in this forum.

10. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Phil:
    Well, if I were you, Phil, I'd get the Pioneer. You may be able to get a discount as Pioneer are bringing out a replacement, the AX3.

*edit*
    Just noticed the A10SE post. I used to have one of these and it would be better then the Pioneer.

Craig:
    I'd certainly be interested in some THX facts seeing as you seem to have had the official training. Like, should I use THX on DTS tracks, for example? Something that I still haven't had a clear answer to.

Nathan:
    Though I am no THX expert, practical experimentation would indicate Craig's point about the benefits of THX is a valid one. Therefore, and in addition to other advantages, the upgrade to the Onkyo 701 would be a step forward and thus Phil's question is answered. The fact that you don't like Bose speakers is by the by as Phil clearly does like them. As much as you may disagree, trying to get someone to change something he does like while something he no longer does (Yamaha A5) remains is foolish. Also I would suggest that the Rotel 1095 comment isn't particularly constructive.

Russell

11. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "Also I would suggest that the Rotel 1095 comment isn't particularly constructive"

Exactly. Recommending a £700 AV amp for speakers that require hardly any power/current isn't constructive either.

Whether speakers are good or not- that's not the point. Would you use several Krell poweramps for your NHT's? No. Why? Because the amps outclass your NHT's. Your HK AV amp however is in the same class.

And on the other scale- using Kef Reference 207's with a £100 Technics amp.

12. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,987
    Yes Nathan, but it all about building a system one step at a time, and if Phil wants to upgrade his amp first thats his perogative. Why not suggest an amplifer which will be an excellent performer for some years yet, and in the mean time, the step up will make him realise that better speakers will improve them more.

Craigs points are more than valid.

13. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Never liking to contradict and agree with good old nathan :D im taking a change! I totally agree with him. Our fastest advancing technology is digital projectors, the next is audio processing (in my view). So it will be very hard to buy an amp which will really be able to keep up with the competition for all that long. So given that the bose speakers are unlikely to improve with a new amp (though they may change), i suggest that buying a good amp is a waste of money. If a change is what is desired, then go for a lower end amp which has a few extra bells and whistles from the A5 and save the rest of the cash for a later speaker and corresponding amp upgrade.

This is really a bit like buying a laptop knowing you will only use it for typing out word documents for a couple of years. But because you want to do some more difficult tasks in 2 years, you buy a really good one. We all know the false logic there, i believe the situation is the same wrt bose/good amp.

Ad

14. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Nathan:Thanks for the comments but i think home cinema is horses for courses.I mean I go to one store to get their view on a product and they slate it try to make you buy another product.I then go to another store and they slate the new product and praise the original..you have to stop somewhere.
    I personally like the bose sound is good enough for me at the moment. As I am getting a plasma i want a player that outputs progressive and has component outputs which my 717 does not have so I realise that i need to upgrade this area to get the best possible piccy,so I thought it would be an idea to upgrade the amp as well.I was merely testing the water, no need to have a go at me for my choice of speakers,they suit where i live. Do I have a go at you about your choice of tv?Thanks for the rotel comment,what a jolly jape!Do you live in a warner village then?

Thanks for your comments.
    Craig:would it be worth me upgrading or not?
    THX1138:at last a sensible answer to my question thank you

15. Montana

Montana
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi All,
    The way I would go, and I am no AV expert by any degree, is not bother with an amp upgrade as you are happy with you're speakers, unless you want to have an amp that gives you extra.For exampleDTS neo6, DTS96/24, DPLII and maybe THX selct etc etc etc.But you would be spending an awful lot of money on something that just gives you a bit more processing.
    I would buy which ever plasma you want to get, and instead of getting a dvd player that has progressive scan , I would leave you're player as is(upgrade later if you want) and spend the extra on external processing for the picture quality.There are lots of options for this there are deinterlacers scalers etc. You would be better doing external processing, because you can adjust things to the way you like on an external processor, where you can't on the internal processing on a progressive dvd player.
    I hope this has been of some help.

Andy

16. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    id agree with montana..... id be tempted to get a proper external processor as opposed to automatically going to the 757

Ad

17. Gatto

Gatto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why wont you try the NAD t762

18. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I would seriously think about Marantz also, you can get a SR5300 for less than £300 and the improvements in sound over the A5 combined with the PLII is worth that alone IMO, and if you are not looking till Christmas there are several new SR*400 models coming out.

19. wookie

wookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bit like a 600bhp cossie lump in a Smart car:D

20. wookie

wookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All that power is gonna damage something!!!!

21. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137

Good post Phil.

Adzman

22. blue73

blue73
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yep Ive got an SR5300 and it is great and a total bargain too. It also sounds really good with music too albeit nothing like a dedicated stereo amp but very good non the less.:)

23. blue73

blue73
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Oh and I thought THX was only for serious installs anyways not livin room set ups but garage converts, You know £100 k gear, bank killers. Mind if thats what he wants then....:smashin: Go for it fella.

I just think you could do alot better and forget THX.

24. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    I was asking if it was worth upgrading and the amps everyone talks about include the 2011 which is thx select.
    Was merely a question is all....

25. Craig Sowerby

Craig Sowerby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi,

In reply to the first part of your statement, the answer is no.

26. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry Phil, we don't mean to be rude. It's just hard to like a product that is so overpriced it makes housing in the South East look reasonable.:D

Seriously consider getting something cheap which has all the latest formats. Anything more will probably be a waste. Also, if you do get the Pioneer, if you auto calibrate it and then turn the volume up, those Acoustimasses may take the beating of their short little lives.:devil:

27. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Mark

wow,really? I thought they was ok meself plus they is wife-friendly,you know!What do you recommend then and why?Remembering they must be small like bose's????????????

Phil

28. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Or is that too much too ask?

29. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    philb, I think those dodgy little spherical speakers (Anthony Gally Micro Nucleus or something???) are even smaller than your BOSE speakers, and are held in high esteem on these very forums, and they're certainately better than your BOSE Speakers, which, whilst being adequate for their size, would stifle the ability of a pioneer amp.

30. Apone

Apone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +293
    Phil

If your in the market for a Plasma and Dvd player then get them with DVI outputs on the dvd (marantz will bring out a DVI equipped DV8400 soon that allows progressive scan output through the DVI ouput) and DVI inputs on the Plasma.This may give even better results then component.

The only thing is you will have to wait until players come out.

Regards

Mahmood