1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

THX Select logo: marketing or mark of quality?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Bonce, Feb 18, 2004.

1. Bonce

Bonce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sorry if this is a naiive question but Is an amp with a THX Select logo a sign of quality, or should I completely ignore it and consider the other qualities of an amp when deciding what to go for?

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    it is a sign of an old amp..... this standard has now been superceeded by my understanding

ad

3. Bonce

Bonce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Eh? Surely not. There are two brand new amps (Yamaha and Onkyo) carrying the mark reviewed in the March 2004 issue of Home Cinema Choice...

4. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hardly the sign of an old amp ad, quite a few new receivers have the select status, such as the pioneer 2011 and some yamaha and onkyo ones.
    THX select/ultra certification can be rather misleading, go to www.thx.com to find out more about how it is 'awarded'. But generally shows that a receiver is capable of playing loud, THX select in an area under and has thx processing to tame down treble a lil bit.
    You should certainly not just look for a receiver/amp with THX select status, there are loads of amps that have not applied for the specification that are potentially better than amp's with the logo.
    Many might just say it is a nice logo to have on your equipment, me being one of them ;), but you should really look at the overall performance of an amplifier before deciding. I for one find the re-equalisation feature that THX has to be the main advantage.
    fred

5. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ok..... apologies....... i thought select had gone. Does ultra still exist? If so, where does it stand wrt ultraII?

I think i basically answered IMO though :D from what i said you probably guess that i wouldnt be paying too much attention. I may be a bit more swayed by an ultra2 spec though

ad

6. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah thx ultra has been overtaken so to say by thx ultra2. I dunno too much about it but i think ultra2 is more musically balanced.
    thx ultra2 would probs alsp sway the spec as it is probably going to be superior to other no spec'd ones
    fred

7. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    There's an interview with a THX bod on Audioholics that covers most of what they do. Basically the minimum specs are: Select is 5.1 for smaller domestic rooms, Ultra is the original 5.1 THX and Ultra2 is 7.1 for big rooms with music mode.

IMO the THX badge shows the amp has passed a set of tests setting a certain level of performance. It doesn't mean the amp will always be reliable or easy to use or even sound fantastic. As fred says you do also get the THX tweaks to improve the sound from movies if you like the idea of that.

8. BiggieBig

BiggieBig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    IMO opnion the thx logo is nice to have, but a little pointless if all your wirings,conectors,players and even room doesn't pass thx tests...

I wouldn't bother with this too much. Best way to find a good amp is search the forum and go and demo...

9. Bonce

Bonce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Cheers all!

10. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,017
    Nonsense. Just because my speaker cable and interconnects aren't THX certified renders THX processing pointless?

:rolleyes:

11. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Potentially yes :D. Your cables, interconnects, DVD player etc etc could all be exerting character on the sound which gives the opposite effect to what the THX-Post Processing is supposed to do in the first place.

It's unlikely, but entirely plausable.

12. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    oooooh anti thx processing.... :rolleyes:

ad

13. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,017
    Oh please:rolleyes:

14. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh don't get too technical... :p :D

15. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    I think it was a mistake THX deciding to do cables in their certification programme. I can think of several reasons why THX would certify cables none of which involve sound quality and all of which involve $$$

They didn't used to do cables and the systems sounded all right in those days.

A quote from the interview I linked to:

"Another way to say this is, that if something seems wrong, it's probably not the THX Certified component. This is a key and often overlooked point because, with modern high quality gear used within its designed limits, the room itself, the equipment setup and the calibration have much more influence on the sound than the inherent character of the equipment. This is not to say that the gear doesn't matter at all, it does, but a mediocre room or system setup will invalidate judgments about the gear by masking those differences."

See the room is more important than any difference between cables or even amps. AFAIK THX have tight specs for the cinema auditoriums but not for domestic installs. There are recommended layouts but you can modify them to suit your own requirements.

16. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    THX certification is the sign of a more expensive amp, because you have to pay for it. More expense is not what I want so I'd be happy to see it gone. Having said that it does given an idea of performance, but then if you do any research before you buy you could tell that for yourself. It's interesting to see those items not THX certified, some are very high end so you wouldn't even question the quality and others are either low end or with questionable reputations (Bose).

My receiver is THX certified, I'd prefer it not to be, I might have got it £20 cheaper!

17. BiggieBig

BiggieBig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Daneel

I agree with you completely.

Though you probably payed alot more then £20 for the certification, but then I suppose the amp will probably hold it's value better if most consumers do value the thx certification highly....

May well be worth the extra cost if your amp runs into many 100s

Bose would be incapable of getting any kind of certification.....

18. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    What makes you think I payed a lot more than £20 of my amp cost towards THX certification? It isn't THAT expensive is it? Remember the cost is amortised over x thousand units sold.

19. BiggieBig

BiggieBig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    That's probably what they pay Lucos for certification

how much does the manufacturer add on top just cos it’s certified and more marketable

20. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Going back to whoever made the point about THX being pointless without an all thx certified equipment that is a ridiculous point to make. It hardly makes it pointless to have. THX processing makes a very big difference to those 'bright' soundtracks at higher volumes on both my present(use of logic 7) and old system and just because i for one am not willing, or should i say to skint to, spend a few hundred quid on THX speaker cable(never actually come across any)/or an extra grand or so on a THX dvd player(which i believe has only to do with the visual part of a system and no improvements over the sound part-correct me if i am wrong).
    But i do agree to get the best out of THX processing or your system as a whole you have to spend careful time to calibrate and test different things, perhaps spend a bit more on reasonable speaker cable and probably something i will invest in in the summer some kind of sound absorption material to help tame treble reflections. None of the above though has to be THX certified....
    fred

21. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    What you pay for with THX is the many years of research into how to make movies sound consistantly good. I don't know why people have such a downer on this. It's not like you can only buy THX receivers, they're way outnumbered by the ones that don't carry the badge. Exercise your choice.

and Bose well Bose have the money and R&D to build whatever they want and to whatever Spec or Certification. What they choose to build is speakers/radios etc. that sell at nice profits to the public. Bose are too easy to slag off because they are so successful.

22. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    My sound quality has improved enormously since I installed a THX approved shag pile carpet :D

23. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    That isn't why Bose are slagged off.

24. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    surely it does make a difference to use some rather than all THX components. The principle is every time you change to the next THX component you are one step closer. Most THX Items are to do with acting like a scaled down cinema where as most AV systems won't necescerily follow the same rules.

25. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think most av systems would act like a scaled down cinema, they are aimed at pretty much a mass market and the fact that they are 'home cinemas' really means a scaled down cinema. A lot of av components would pass the THX certification with flying colours but wish not to.
    I have a THX processor, THX amplifier, and THX speakers but i reckon that many other speakers would outperform them and don't have the THX logo. Although i am perfectly happy with my sound system as it truly does sound better than a cinema, well my local crappy odeon one anyway. The point is my system would sound better with say the B&W Nautillus range e.t.c
    I am not prepared to pay >1000 for a dvd player just because it is THX, as it would not offer any advantage sound wise to any other mid range dvd player. This also applies to speaker cable/interconnects or whatever
    fred

26. BiggieBig

BiggieBig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Sorry this post is of the thread subject

I slag bose as an x owner, I had AM 10 speakers and they
    sounded like complete crap.....

compared to what else you can get for the price....

I brought bose thinking that they are brilliant because they are "Bose", how naive I was cos they sounded like some budget speakers..

27. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Some firms take a quite an enlightened approach to THX. Where decoding / etc is valuable they put it through the process but where it add nothing (amps) they don't. The amps may actually be better in quality than their non THX counterparts as well. Tag has a very good policy here re THX. THX has a place but it isn't necessarily everywhere :)

28. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Harman Kardon is another company that I understand selects which components get the THX expense.

I remember when THX didn't do cables and people were whining 'Why don't THX do cables? I need them for my system.' As THX get a fee from any product that carries the logo it obviously makes sense to certify whatever products the user wants badged.

If my speakers ever turn up I am aiming for the original THX spec which IMO is the processing and speakers. Anything else is optional.

Fair enough depsi most people slag Bose (cubes) without having even heard them. You already know then that Bose are extremely successful at selling adequate sounding speakers for big money. :smoke:

29. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    when I say scaled down cinema i refer to the style of sound you get in a cinema. Not all "Home Cinema set ups are based on this sound, I'm not saying this is better for anyone, I'm saying THX think it sounds more like a cinema that's what THX is meant to be a reproduction of what the film should sound like!