1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

THX processing - on or off ?

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by rolski, Jan 1, 2005.

1. rolski

rolski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Firstly, Happy New Year to everyone !

Now to business :-

The main function of THX, according to the blurb on their website, seems to be Re-equalisation, which (quote) "removes the edgy 'brightness' of cinema sound, accurately adapting movie sound for home playback".
    As most, if not all, DVD's are now mixed for home-playback from the outset, and TV broadcasts are surely the same, doesn't this render Re-equalisation unnecessary ?
    If you have a DVD with the THX logo, does it mean it's been mixed for home-cinema & you therefore should switch THX off, or does it mean you need to turn it on to bring something back into the mix ?

Timbre-matching :- if you have similar / identical speakers in your surround set-up, this is also redundant, correct ?

Bass Management / Time Synchronisation etc etc :- these are features that aren't unique to THX & are usually set-up independently (and offered on most surround-processors now as standard), correct ?

THX + Ultra 2 + all the other flavours & possible combinations - what's the use of them in my AV32R DP based system ? Aren't they just a standard that's been written to compensate for "sub-standard" set-ups, or set-ups with a significant mixture of components ?

At the moment, I'm going to turn all the THX options off - as I can't see they're needed for CD, or DVD, or TV, but I await any enlightening comments with interest.

2. Nocko!

Nocko!
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very good question. I never understood for which sources or material I should use THX processing. For example: I buy a "Braveheart" DVD with THX logo. If I play this one without THX processing will it sound harsh and bright = incorrect. This would mean, that all DVDs without THX logo will sound better on systems without THX functions. Or, stated that THX processing will only "correct" a THX recording for home use, a non-THX movie will sound with THX switched off exactly the same as a THX movie played with THX switched on. Why should anyone buy a THX modified DVD ?
    May be that's quite harsh, but is there still a reason for THX functions in the time of DVD or the other way round: Was THX processing only useful in times, when you play original cinema soundtracks from Laserdisc, which were mixed for use in cinemas only ?
    Greetings,
    Nocko

3. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Rolski

Tend to agree with Nocko on this one. On DVDs with THX I tend to "flick the switch". However I do forget sometimes and only remember after the film is over..... :blush: I don't seem to have missed it while watching.

That said I've never done an On-Off test :p

4. rolski

rolski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Anyone ever done any back-to-back tests at all ?

Recommendations for DVD's where THX should be on / off ?