1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

THX or High end Speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by fatrich, Sep 11, 2001.

1. fatrich

fatrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Hello all<br />at the moment i am currently running acoustic energy speakers which are ae109 and ae centre for the front three and agis one's to the rear.For the processing and amplification i am using a rotel rmb 1095 and a lexicon dc1 with version 3.1 upgrade (thx, dolby digital and dts).

I do't think at this time i will be upgrading to the version 4 software for the lexicon to get the dts-es /5.1 ex but i would like to take advantage of the lexicon's logic 7. Can anyone recommend resonably priced thx or high end speakers, require x2 front and centre x2 side and x2 rears.

cheers

richard

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use and can thoroughly recommend the Kef TDM23C THX center (£400) which is a serious center speaker, if a little large and heavy and of course the TDM34DS THX di-polar surrounds, at £700 a pair they are quite expensive but try to find a single person who would swap them, a very serious speaker with some fabulous reviews/industry references.<br />Can't comment on the TDM23F THX mains as i don't use them but they are almost exactly the same as the center and for HC (THX) use (the center at least) is not matched IMHO by anything near it's price point.<br />Or am i being a bit "down-market" for you?<br />Certainly worth an audition.

3. minimivic

minimivic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Try to get a demo on the Mirage High Definition Theater system.<br />Very impressive as 5.1,6.1 or 7.1.<br /><a href="http://www.miragespeakers.com/products/hdt.html" target="_blank">www.miragespeakers.com/products/hdt.html</a>

They will be at the Hi-Fi show this weekend.

4. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I've just had the M&K 750 THX Select package installed, along with additional M&K SW85 in-ceilings for the EX channel.

I am totally in awe of the sound difference over my previous Tannoy/REL system. I am using them with a new AVCA1SE, and I must say that the THX system works extremely well when the kit is partnered correctly.

The soundstage is seamless, and the bass is incredibly tight, even though my room is only 11' x 9'.

The prices for the M&K come to around £3000 for the full package, including in-walls and the sub.

5. fatrich

fatrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Carl<br />thank you for your comments, do you mind me asking what ceiling speakers are you using, where exactly have you positioned them and how much are they to purchase on there own.

regards

richard

6. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I am using M&K SW85 as they use the same drivers as the other M&K's I am using. They cost £700 and I have them positioned about 2ft behind the sofa firing directly down. The tweeter in the speakers is angles slightly to fire at the rear wall to diffuse the image.

It's not ideal to have the speakers so close to the listening position, but I have experimented greatly with 5.1/6.1 over the last few days and I hear a definite improvement.

If you want any more info I'd be glad to help.

7. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I should have mentioned it is £700 for the pair, not each!