1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

THX Optimode

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by cittauk, Jun 26, 2001.

1. cittauk

cittauk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have recently come across the Optimode on a couple of my disks and was wondering if anyone could help me with a small problem!

When running the "Monitor Check" within the Video Test section, the left hand side of the outer rectangle is missing. This happens in all picture modes including the requested 4:3.
    The same problem happens while running this test on both my TV's using either of my DVD players and any of the Optimode disks.
    When I asked the service engineer about this, he told me that it was probably due to the fact that the THX disks were all Region 1 therefore NTSC. Sounded a bit strange, but I don't know the 1st thing about the subject
    Does anyone have a similar experience or any advice?

Thanks

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The problem is called overscan. Most tvs do it.
    It's used to be used to hide how bad tvs were at drawing the edge of the picture.
    An engineer should be able to correct it.

An NTSC signal could alos cause the problem

3. Neil Watson

Neil Watson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    I get the same effect on my 28PW6515 although I can see a a very faint grey line that I assume is the edge just off screen.

What I would like to know is there any decent PAL dvd setup disc that I can use to set my TV up with? I am trying see how bad my distortion is down the left hand side of the screen and used to THX optimode to check it out. Only thing is the screen is fine with this disc until I realised its and NTSC disc and henceprobably an issue with PAL only! Anyone know of a good one???