THX Optimode

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by calibos, Feb 12, 2001.

1. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Does anyone know of any Region 2 discs with the THX Optimode on them? I want to use it to tweak the settings on my tv and reciever. It was on the Region 1 Fight Club and Toy Story Box Set and when the reviews of the R2 versions said all the extra's were intact, I assumed this meant the Optimode too.

------------------
    Don't be a don't be.......Be a do be!

2. Hendrik

Hendrik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. Pollywoggle

Pollywoggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    I'm probably missing something but I don't see where it mentions Region 2?

4. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,229
    Hmm I could do with decent 625/50 colour bars myself.

5. Hendrik

Hendrik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...American test discs for DVD are aimed at North Americans (geographically, this includes Yanks, Canucks, and, yes, even Canadiens) who, for better or worse, are stuck with their NTSC system - as are the Japanese (also Region 2) and Hong Kong (Region 3, or Region 0)...

Perhaps someone knows of a European - i.e. specifically-made-for-PAL - test DVD ? I certainly don't.

! [​IMG] !

6. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,229
    Well the NTSC/PAL colour issues are moot with dvd as its a component format. Generating a PAL or NTSC colour signal is a function of the player. So if you generate a PAL60 signal from a 525/60 disc its valid.

The only issue is how your TV stores settings for a calibration point of view. Having a 625/50 formatted colour bar would be useful purely to cover all eventualities. In practice a PAL colour bar generated from 525/60 is accurate its just a question of how your TV applies its settings to the 525/60.

If you are using component or RGB its not an issue.

There are some complications involved with using a composite signal because an NTSC composite signal utilised a relationship between the line rate and the colour frequency but in practice again this problem is slight to non-existant. (and who would want to use composite from dvd anyway)

7. charles

charles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +196
    I would say this re;-ntsc.
    The thx optimode tests are optimised for ntsc-this is fairly meaningless if you are calibrating watching a pal disc-there are differences in calibating a pal or ntsc signal.
    For a start,the hue setting on your projector/t.v.during calibration whilst playing an ntsc disc can greatly affect the colour bars-and if you set the colour bars-then jump to a pal disc and start the same calibration,you will notice the colours look slightly washed out.
    What i have done,is calibrate on one memory bank for ntsc,and one memory bank for pal-my settings are quite different.

8. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,229
    No their not. They normally originate as 4:2:2 yuv downsampled via MPEG2 to 4:1:1 (or 4:2:0 it varies) its still a larger chromaticity range than can be represented by either a PAL or NTSC colour signal.

The easiest way is to avoid using NTSC at all if possible. Use RGB or component ideally or PAL60 via s-video if you must. Using NTSC just unecessarily limits the colour bandwidth you are pulling off the disc and it introduces other calibration issues: RGB , YUV and PAL have similar set-up criteria. NTSC is different (higher black point : but it all clips in video anyway however your player may or may not apply the higher 7.5IRE set-up level again a source of possible confusion).

How your TV stores settings for a 525/60 signal compared to 625/50 signal is another matter but its seperate from the PAL/NTSC one (which is effectively meaningless with dvd)

Read the Joe Kane interview a couple of months back: he touches on this but not in any great detail.

9. charles

charles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +196
    Mr d,
    I`m sorry old chum-but your wrong,you forget that the thx optimode on an ntsc disc has been pulled from an ntsc master..
    Via s video using pure ntsc and calibrating will elicit one set of optimum settings(hue especially-and differnt again if you use the ntsc matrix on my ellie projector..)..whereas putting on a pal disc requires re-optimisation.(colour temp with regard to reds seems cooler for pal discs)
    Hence i have different settings for ntsc dvd`s and pal dvd`d-which is recommended..
    Joe kane never said that pal and ntsc could be calibrated in one go using the optimode-he said that once ntsc calibrated-pal discs would benefit.