THX Optimizer + Panasonic TH50PX70 - Contrast incorrect?

yoclick

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Got a Panasonic TH50PX70 with 400+ hours into it. I adjusted the settings with the aid of the THX Optimizer facility on a Star Wars DVD I had. I played the DVD via a PS3 connected to the TV via HDMI.

The first screen on the THX Optimizer is for adjusting the contrast of your screen:
http://www.thx.com/home/dvd/optimizer/contrast.html

Basically its 8 squares of different shades of white arranged in a rectangle of 4x2. It states that if the contrast is too high, then the middle 4 squares will seem to all be the same shade. So it says adjust the contrast so you can just about differentiate between the middle 4 squares.

However on my Panasonic, if I have the contrast full, the middle 4 squares are still very easily distinguable. Theres never a moment when it looks like they will be not be easily differentiated :confused:. However when watching a few films eg Bourne, the blacks are all merged together! You can differentiate them! For example in one scene he's wearing a black coat, black trousers and black top, but all you could see was a solid blob of black under his head :rolleyes:

I must also say im SLIGHTLY dissapointed with HD content. Since im on Virgin, the only HD channel i get is BBC HD but i dont find the picture looking absolutly amazing when comparing BBC1 and BBC HD during the england match yesterday.

Just wondering, is there anything wrong possibly or am i just looking far too into it? I mean normally im very happy watching it, its just when i start really looking for problems i notice these things.

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

Sounds like you might need to play with the brightness.
Brightness is either right or wrong, whereas contrast is more down to preference.

The brightness setting sets what black is.
If brightness is too low anything at black or slightly greyer will look black (sounds like what you're seeing).
If brightness is too high then black will look grey.

Contrast basically determines how bright white is, so it may still look fine at it's maximum, but it might start to burn your eyes ;)

You will also find that all sources will need different brightness (and possibly contrast) settings.
This means that the values you get from your PS3 will not necessarily be what is needed for your Virgin box.
Unless there's a test channel on Virgin for you to set it up, you'll have to start with the PS3 settings and then adjust it by eye.

I flicked between BBC-HD and BBC1 last night watching the match on my SKY-HD box and the difference was like night and day on my Panny 37-PX70.

I didn't see a huge difference in the footy from my HD box compared to the digital signal. Also I've never got that contrast THX thing to work too! I thought it was my display so you are in good company! Edited to say, take a look at The Jools Holland show on BBC HD, now that should look fantastic.

Thanks rEVILospud :)
Good information there, and I will go about trying to set the brightness again before I play with contrast. :thumbsup:

Mickwalls, I honestly dont know how! Perhaps its a Virgin related thing but i seriously doubt that. I could see a slight difference but it certainly wasnt major and tbh I would of perfectly been happy to watch it on BBC1 if it cut out half way through on BBC HD without caring much!

Markbigears, im glad im not alone with the contrast thing! Tried the setup through PS3, DVD player and DVD recorder and still couldnt get it properly set :suicide:. I have seen the Jools Holland thing and i will be honest and say i was absolutly amazed! However when stuff like heroes is on, it doesnt look so spectacular as some of the previews you see. Ahwell, lets hope the situation improves :rolleyes:

agreed, Heroes dosn't look anything special. Not sure if its a transfer issue from the original, but i'm sure its shot on 35mm film? Like you say, quality varys greatly between programmes with the studio based stuff looking far better.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom