THX Optimisers and the Brightness setting

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Diapason, Mar 29, 2004.

1. Diapason

Diapason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi folks,

This probably isn't a plasma question, but since the effect was seen using a plasma, I thought I'd post it here anyway!

I've been playing around with DVE to set up my Pio 434, and am now pretty happy that I'm getting good results for PAL. Out of sheer laziness, I just left the settings the same for NTSC, but recently I thought I should tweak them using an R1 THX optimiser. So, I used the optimiser on the 2-disc Fight Club SE, and discovered that brightness had to be set significantly lower (using the Pluge on that disc) than I had it set for R2. I was happy enough with this, since I thought that it might have something to do with my DVD player setting a different black level for NTSC (am I totally off the mark here?)

Anyway, last night, out of interest I looked at the settings from the THX optimiser on my R1 Finding Nemo. Here, using the pluge pattern again, the brightness setting was back to the same levels set for PAL by DVE. To ensure that I wasn't going mad I checked Fight Club again, and sure enough, the settings are completely different.

So, any suggestions as to which is "correct"? Does anyone know if my DVD player (HK DVD10) sets different black levels for NTSC and PAL? Incidentally, I'm using RGB via SCART if that makes any difference.

Cheers,

Si

2. alancolledge

alancolledge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Diapason

I thought that the THX optimiser is there to optimise the film as oposed to your screen.

So I wouldn't find it too surprising to see a darker film like fightclub needing lower brightness.

The only way to check this I suppose is to get a region 2 version of fightclub and check the setting on that, but I am pretty sure I have read the above on another thread.

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,042
    They encode the level of black differently on different THX discs I believe.

RGB should have same black level regardless of R1 or R2 but it wouldn't be surprising if some DVD players did apply "set up" (7.5ire) to black level when outputting a 480iRGB signal.

Gordon

4. Diapason

Diapason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thank you to both of you.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the majority of my R1 discs look better on the lower setting, so I wouldn't be surprised if my DVD player is setting black level to 7.5ire. At some point, I'll either buy or borrow an Avia or DVE NTSC disc. I'd quite like to get to the bottom of this now...

Si

5. gmt steve

gmt steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The NTSC Fight Club has a known issue with incorrectly set black levels. As alancolledge said the Optimiser is for THAT particular film, but on most other NTSC discs if you set the display to the Optimiser then you'll be pretty much there for all films. Fight club is a known exception.

6. Diapason

Diapason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thank you gmt steve. The more I looked at other R1 discs, the more I thought that the non-Fight Club settings looked better. Now I at least have a reason!

Thanks again,

Si