THX DVDs. Is re-eq always required?

Jules

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lot of people on this forum say that there's no longer a need for THX re-eq on DVD soundtracks because most recent discs have usually already had the necessary HF cut.

I have an upgraded Denon AVC-A1SE with KEF THX speakers and have always engaged the THX modes with THX mastered discs. I presumed it all made the choice easy!

However, as an experiment I tried some of my THX discs, including Star Wars and Monsters Inc in regular DD EX. I think the re-eq may have already been applied to these aswell because they were certainly not over bright.
Is this correct?
The only THX disc I felt needed re-eq was Terminator2. But it was a very inconclusive excercise.

Does anyone have a list of DVD's that have/ have not had the re-eq treatment?
All I end up doing is constantly switching modes to the annoyance of my family and friends.

I've always been confused by this too. My reading of the blurb on THX is that THX mode re-eqs sound on DVDs (etc.) designed for the cinema so that the sound is more suited to a home room. But then this is also what they say about THX mastering of DVDs themselves - i.e. it also makes the sound better suited to the home.

If this is the case then it would seem that THX mastered discs are precisely the ones where you don't need to (indeed shouldn't) enable THX processing on your amp. ??!!?? :(

This is all the more weird as we've only recently been allowed to try DD EX without THX.

This still doesn't sound right to me??? Somebody come and clear up the confusion!

Charles.

Best thing is to try THX processing with each disc and see if you like what you hear. Most THX mastered DVD´s have already been re-equalised though (as have other non THX discs eg. Blade 2).

THX processing is an acquired taste, you either like it or you don´t.;)

As to a list of which dvds have been equalised, not sure where you would start for that, review sites maybe?:confused:

I think THX as we know is outdated. It was designed to bring cinema sound into the home in the days of Laserdisc and VHS. Dipole surrounds were part of the criteria and at first, the centre speaker was upright.
As technology has developed and more and more people get into DVD, THX have seen the need for their specs drop - and have compensated with Ultra2, which dosen't require dipole speakers, for either surround left and right or surround back channels. I think, and don't quote me on this, that THX actually reccomend direct radiating speakers in their Ultra 2 spec.

I think Jamo are the only company who make Ultra2 speakers at the moment and all 5 (or 7) speakers are exactly the same - direct radiating hang on the wall jobbies - and they sound awesome - although I've only heard them with a Lexicon MC1 and cinepro power amps, which, are of course not Ultra2 certified.

Though, getting back onto subject - :blush: - I personally don't think you need THX Re eq for THX encoded discs - just those that are aren't THX'd.

Bri.

Sorry to interrupt mate, i saw your name and it reminded me that you were selling your MC-1 a while back....

Just wondering

a) if you sold it

b) what have you got now?

Always like to keep on top of things!!!!:)

Adam..

I guess as always, that you should use what you prefer and what suits your set-up. I personally now use THX most of the time as I find the dialogue clearer.
But re. Ultra 2, I thought the recommended spec WAS to use dipoles for the left and right surrounds and direct radiators for the 2 centre rears?

Originally posted by Adzman
Bri.

Sorry to interrupt mate, i saw your name and it reminded me that you were selling your MC-1 a while back....

Just wondering

a) if you sold it

b) what have you got now?

Always like to keep on top of things!!!!:)

Adam..
Still got - but it's not in my house - I respect my neighbours far to much for that. Someone's looking after it for me.....;) And very well I might add.
[originally posted by Godzilla]But re. Ultra 2, I thought the recommended spec WAS to use dipoles for the left and right surrounds and direct radiators for the 2 centre rears?
[Originally posted by Army Bloke]and don't quote me on this, that THX actually reccomend direct radiating speakers in their Ultra 2 spec.
;) :D

I think, from what I have read and what others on these forums have said that the speaker requirments differed between THX Surround EX and THX Ultra 2. As first introduced it was a case of mount another two THX dipoles on the back wall and go from there. Ultra2 suggests using two direct radiators for the rear backs, and it decorrellates them so that you get a wall of sound effect behind you.
There are still valid reasons for using THX processing though, as the timbre matching and de-correllation are still useful, even if the disks have already been Re-Eq'd for home use.

Originally posted by NicolasB
Army Bloke, I thought you'd sold your MC-1 back in November. :confused:

The guy pulled out at the last minute - money in bank and everything. Pretty much for the same reasons you did. Keeping now anyway - at least for another 2 years. Keep your eyes open - will probably be up on the forums for about £1.50.:(

Heh. :D

Have you checked with Lexicon or CSE about whether you can trade it in for part of the price of an MC-8?

Absolutly brassic mate. Couldn't make up the difference at the moment.:( I was serious about £1.50:( ;) :D

I'm gonna go the Ultra 2 route in 2 years and want to do the whole lot in a oner - processor, amps, speakers, cables - the whole ish. Out of the army then with a small wad inthe back pocket.....:D

Well, seeing as you're not getting any use out of it anyway, I'll give you £1.50 for it now and that way you can earn two years of interest on the money in the meantime....

:D LOL:D

I do get a play every other weekend. It's like a child who's parents are divorced! Where it is now does it more justice - Sim2 200, 7 ft screen, fujitsu plasma etc. I only have a 32" WS Panasonic here. Not for long though:devil:

I would disagree with above statement, i believe very few dvd's are "remixed" for home replay, THX re-eq is very relevent to todays soundtracks, i.e listen to front left and right channels on the big war/fight scene at the end of AOTC, on my set up the orchestration is very bright!
Also timbre matching and rear channel phase decorrelation is very effective.

Steve.

Following up my own post it would appear (from reading their website) that in the case of THX DVDs (and all other THX media) that what you are supposed to be getting off the disc is exactly the same as what you would get in a cinema. So the LCR have a boosted treble to go through a screen, and the surrounds are mixed to sound good coming out of large arrays of speakers.
Why then would they want to invalidate the usefulness of thier various proprietary technologies which they make money licensing to other companies?
Isn't it more likely that the movies already have a dull sounding soundtrack, and therefore sound 'right' in the home without re-eq?

I've run my system for a while in plain DD/DTS and run it for a while with THX engaged and come to the conclusion that I prefer the THX mode. It may seem duller, smoother and more diffuse but the main benefit, to my mind, is that you forget its there ! Its easier to become unaware that you are listening to a reproduction of sound. To me, plain DD/DTS in comparison tends to draw too much attention to itself.

Allan

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom