THX DVD calibration

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Mutley2110, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Mutley2110

Mutley2110
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I have just bought a gt60 and have been trying to calibrate using a THX blu ray or DVD. Firstly tried Avatar blu ray as it has the THX logo on the box but I've been through every setting option and cannot find how to access the THX screen. Thought it may be the disc so checked THX website list of THX films, bought Alien on blu ray and DVD (again with THX logo on box) and tried again but still unable to locate THX screen to calibrate. Beginning to think either this THX is a gimmick or I must be missing something really obvious but tearing my hair out as specifically purchased gt60 as advised it is THX certified and can calibrate picture. Please advise and provide idiots guide to using THX bluray or DVD !!!

2. onmeheadson

onmeheadson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Doesn't the GT have a THX certified pre-set already?

It is a bit of a gimmick yes.

And the picture CAN be calibrated to give a much better result than the THX pre-set (normally using the professional modes. However, this is best carried out by a professional calibrator.

3. noiseboy72

noiseboy72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,787
    THX is not only about having the test track on the Blu-ray, but it is more about the way the disc was mastered. The mastering suite would have been constructed and calibrated to THX standards and the disc fully compliant with all standards.

Now for the reality check... Pretty much all major release titles are mastered in similar if not identical facilities, so the gains may not be that huge.

The free disc and files you can download from AVS Forums are excellent for basic calibration, although you need a meter to get anything close correct gamma and grey scale. The black and white levels however, can be accurately set and this leads to some pretty huge improvements.

4. Mutley2110

Mutley2110
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Thanks for the info. Any idea how I actually find & access the THX screen on the bluray or DVD disc???

5. Mutley2110

Mutley2110
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

6. Mutley2110

Mutley2110
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info. Any idea how I actually find & access the THX screen on the bluray or DVD disc???

7. noiseboy72

noiseboy72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,787
    Normally in the Extras or Setup menu. There is an audio set up and also a few slides for video.

If you have the freebie 3D Avatar disc that Panasonic bundled with their TVs, this does not have the files AFAIK

8. Mutley2110

Mutley2110
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been into every option in set ups and extras on the avatar Blu-ray Disc ( purchased when avatar was released) but it does not appear. I've run past the end credits and a brief visual appears for approx 1 minute with very nice graphics and colour ending with the THX logo, but during this there is no option to access THX. Once this ends the disc reverts back to the start. ???

9. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    Not many have it, the Incredibles and Wall-E have it.
    Best to download the free disc from AVSForum or get DVE or Spears and munsil on bluray.