1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thx do i need it

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by tracer, Jul 6, 2002.

1. tracer

tracer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Newbe question.
    The THX sound format should I buy an amp with this sound system if so why? and does it add mega bucks to the overall cost.

2. Ixon

Ixon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Just stick with DD & DTS

3. docsmith2k1

docsmith2k1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    THX is not a sound format, more a set of guidelines that define how home cinema equipment (everything from speakers and amps, to interconnects and speaker wire) should perform to provide optimum sound and video reproduction. It is licensed by Lucas, and manufacturers pay in order to have their equipment THX certified, to confirm that it conforms to these high standards. THX certification is not cheap - neither is producing equipment that conforms to their vey high standards. Consequently THX certified equipment does tend to be at the higher end of the price scale, but it is a guarentee of quality, although non THX equpment can sometimes surpass THX standards, but to save money the manufacturer doesn't pay the premium to have it THX certified.(yamaha for example)

AndyS

4. Marv

Marv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +354
    THX does not always = better.

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Please explain

6. docsmith2k1

docsmith2k1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17

Marv if your refering to my post, read again - at no point do I mention THX being better. However what THX attempts to do is bring objectivity into an area normally totally subjective - ie you and I would both hear the same thing although we might disagree about which sounds "better".
    This too could be corrected if our hearing could be THX certified. Lucas could be working on this as we speak. We could all pay a fortune to have THX approved tattooed on our earlobes (I'd go for THX Ultra2 myself):D
    AndyS

7. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    THX will bend it's own rules (guidelines, specs whatever) at the drop of a £ sign.

8. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Having a THX amp myself I do know a little about the subject but was merely querying a six word statement by a newbie that "THX does not always = better" on the basis that the statement is not worth the bandwidth unless an accompanying explanation is offered.

For all we know Marv may have only been into home cinema for a week and is passing on nuggets of information supplied to him by the Saturday boy at Currys.

9. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ian, i posted the wrong quote-sorry:)

10. Marv

Marv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +354
    Yeah, i went into a home cinema shop to look at the stuff.Did'nt even consider buying anything after seeing the prices in the shop.The bloke in the shop was going on about how THX standered equipment was not always the best.

11. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thx means its better made and has good special effects sometimes.

12. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Having just put two products through THX for approval I can tell you they are very rigorous and quite picky about what they want.

Electronics products that are THX approved will have been designed to a pretty tight spec in both audio and video terms - the latter are particularly onerous and you can't cut corners.

Whereas there may be big differences between loudspeakers designed to meet THX's original spec and those designed for high performance in a home music system, there is no reason to suppose that a modern THX Ultra 2 electronics product used within its performance ratings will sound worse than a non approved product - generally it should be better.

Just my opinion of course, though based on real experience!

John Dawson (Arcam)

13. docsmith2k1

docsmith2k1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    FYI THX has been sold to Creative Labs

Start of a thread in the other forum.

What do members think?
    As was stated in this thread - a significant reason for paying the extra these products cost is the knowledge that some of the best sound and vision engineers on the planet are behind its implementation. Do we feel this way about Creative?
    AndyS

14. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,083
    As an aside, I was wondering how to get my sofa THX certified? :)

Gary.

15. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +888
    THX certified means the equipment will reach a minimum excellence. There are two types - THX Select and THX Ultra (now Ultra 2). Ultra & Ultra 2 are higher end, Select is lower priced.

THX amps have THX post processing which is designed to replicate the sound of a cinema in the home. For info have a look here www.thx.com

THX Ultra 2 post processing now has both Movie & Music modes and is designed for a 7.1 system. THX post processing can be added to Pro-Logic, Pro-Logic 2, DTS 5.1, DTS 6.1 Discrete & Matrix, Dolby 5.1, 5.1 EX etc etc depending on amp.

Check out the THX website for more info on the various THX requirements for speakers, amps etc

16. Harold Corbet

Harold Corbet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought the sound effects they gave you was no good. Stuff like hall, concert and all this will surely make it sound worse.

17. docsmith2k1

docsmith2k1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hall, stadium etc are a TOTALLY different kettle of fish all together. These are DSPs (digital sound profiles) - they are produced by certain amps to "recreate" the acoustics of a particular environment. They are certainly not related to THX in any way shape or form.