THX certified DVDs

la gran siete

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know where I can find some and what to look for etc?I notice that Pirates of the Caribean is supposed to be one but my copy does not appear to show the logo so I'm thinking it only apply to certain special discs.:confused: Would this be correct?

As long as you buy the right region as per the list then it will be THX certified and should have the logo on the back somewhere.

You don't need to look for a special edition of the film, just the standard version of the region given in the list; so you can buy them from anywhere you like.

Just curious - is there a special reason why you're looking for THX certified discs?

FWIW: They are just regular DVDs. They aren't necessarily anything special - many non-THX titles exceed THX specifications. It's a sort of minimum quality control specification, really. And even that doesn't actually mean much; the THX-certified Star Wars ep1 suffered from excessive edge enhancement; the Abyss was non-anamorphic, and so on.

Just curious - is there a special reason why you're looking for THX certified discs?

FWIW: They are just regular DVDs. They aren't necessarily anything special - many non-THX titles exceed THX specifications. It's a sort of minimum quality control specification, really. And even that doesn't actually mean much; the THX-certified Star Wars ep1 suffered from excessive edge enhancement; the Abyss was non-anamorphic, and so on.

apparently its an easy way of setting up ones equipment up or so I am told

apparently its an easy way of setting up ones equipment up or so I am told

If you are looking for the video/audio test then afaik, it is not on all DVD's. The only ones I have with it are any of the Star Wars ones.

I believe (in fact, I'm pretty sure) that all THX certified discs do, indeed have a THX Optimiser on them. You do sometimes have to go looking. And it will always be on the main feature disc; never on a bonus disc.

You may need separate settings to optimise for PAL and NTSC (if you use both).

So I guess its just a question of hunting around for a dvd with a THX logo on it. Play.com have about half a dozen which doesnt seem much.I thought they would be very commonly available.

No, only select few titles - mainly but not exclusively those from "Fox" (but not even all of theirs). I suspect Lucasfilm want money for this branding which may account for low take-up. As I say, in terms of actual disc/picture quality on the film, it makes little difference anyway. But the Optimiser thingy is quite useful.

No, only select few titles - mainly but not exclusively those from "Fox" (but not even all of theirs). I suspect Lucasfilm want money for this branding which may account for low take-up. As I say, in terms of actual disc/picture quality on the film, it makes little difference anyway. But the Optimiser thingy is quite useful.
Ok but are they generally available or are you refering to this site?
http://www.foxstore.com

cant see anything there that would suggest any THX discs. A search gave me no hits

I'm sure that your Pirates of the Caribbean DVD will have the THX Optimiser on it, just put it in and see.

I'm sure that your Pirates of the Caribbean DVD will have the THX Optimiser on it, just put it in and see.

It has indeed, although I read somewhere (cant remember if it was on this forum or the net somewhere) that the THX optimiser on Star Wars IV is better somehow (?):confused:

Hi There,

It has indeed, although I read somewhere (cant remember if it was on this forum or the net somewhere) that the THX optimiser on Star Wars IV is better somehow (?)

Don't know about better....But some early THX Optimeser discs were incorrect with thier settings...IIRC my R1 Fight club is a bad one.

However I'd personaly say not to bother with the THX discs and splash out on some of the set-up DVD's.

Digital Video Esentials (DVE) is a good one for begining with and talks you through a lot of stuff.

AVIA is another, though this is less simple, but has more test paterns if you know what you are up to.

There is also Get Grey which was developed over at the AVS Forums and comes highly recomended, however its aimed at Digital Projectors mainly and being a CRT geek i've not played with it...also its not so hand holding as the other two.

If you want cheap/free and know what you are doing, i think most the basic paterns are on the HCFR disc and you can also download a load for the HTPC and burn your own !

I certainly would not buy a THX specificaly for the optimiser utility, if you want the movie fine.

cya,
Lee

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom