thx amps

K

kyzer

Can anyone help?
Whats the best deal on thx amps at the momment?

I have been told that this is the future in amps or the way we are heading.

Is this true

:confused: :confused:

Thanks

Kyzer

:smoke:

hornydragon

THX is a standard set out by Lucasfilm nothing special! Digital is a different matter, who told you THX is the way forward???

K

kyzer

Hi hornydragon.It was one of the guys down the pub.He must talk a good game.Because i thought he knew what he talking about....

Can you help me then?You seem to know your stuff.

Kyzer

Thunder

Novice Member
All you get with THX is assurance that it does what it says on the tin. It dosnt mean that THX certified amps are any better than non THX certified amps.

Dimmy

Banned
THX Certification is what's arrived at when a piece of hardware meets performance criteria set out by lucasfilm. These criteria are very specific and aim to heighten performance standards to a level comparable with those of a commercial cinema.

IMHO, Thx Certification is often a good indicator of a certain level of performance, but try not to get confused into thinking something isn't worth buying if it isn't THX Certified.

K

kyzer

Thanks Thunder I'm pretty new to all this .So i'm just going round in circles here.

I Have a budget of £650-£700 to buy an a/v amp, multi-region dvd and sub/sat speakers.Any advice would be ever so helpfull!!!

Just bought a Panni 42' plasma

Thanks

Kyzer

Thunder

Novice Member
Look at Yamaha amps at this price level, the do some great value cinema in a box solutions. But go for separates not an all in one. As for DVD players you cant really go wrong with the entry level Toshibas. You wont get anywhere near THX certified kit at your budgetn level.

hornydragon

MY top tip for a £700 budget is Tannoy FX5.1 sats & sub £200 ish in silver. Yamaha 5640 amplifier and as you have a panny plasma (PW5/6 or PA20???) then DVD with component outs PAnnys own S75 is good but look at SOny 730/930 (SACD). If you want to spend more on speakers MS premieres are good and can be had for £300ish and yamaha 540 amp at £250 ish. If budget would strecth there is a lot more kit to consider but also try and get as many demos as possible to see what you like the look and sound of. Also what else do you have, need to connect. Sky, PS2 Xbox etc etc. And exact plasma and input boards will help too.

Dimmy

Banned
kyzer - you'll have extreme difficulty fitting a THX certified amp into your budget.

Have a look at the budget Pioneer/Denon/Marantz amplification, Pioneer DV565A DVD player (I have one in the classifieds should you be interested - Multi-region, Progressive Scan, SACD/DVD-A and in Silver), and you could do worse than Mission's M70 cinema package.

K

kyzer

Well i have sky(Pace) Ps2 Panny prologic video with quintro+rgb scart switch box and a Panny shct-70 multi-region dvd at the momment.Would i get good music quality as well a movies.For that budget?Lots of options for me...

I like the Tannoys very cool.

Thanks for your time guys

I will check out your advice

Many Thanks

Kyzer

C

Coaxial

Ignore THX select, it's almost meaningless these days. I had a Pioneer 859 (THX), but it was walked all over by by my replacement, a Rotel 972. Then I bought Harman 5550, and the rotel looked like it'd come from richer sounds!

THX was important a while back to get a standard of performance, but now it's an expensive designer name tag - eg. the THX select current requirement is 25 amps. the harman 1550 did that for 300 quid. Unfortunately, the 1550 was still ****e, so it goes to prove that specs aren't everything!

K

kyzer

Thanks coaxial..

Cool name

I'm still checking everthing out.

Thanks for your time

Kyzer

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom