1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

THX amp&non THX speakers!!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by jimcarney, May 23, 2001.

1. jimcarney

jimcarney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Do any of you know if I would gain any benefit from running Kef Q55s & Mission rears ,Rega Vulcan sub,
    in THX mode .
    Thanks in advance JPC
    P.S. The amp is a Denon A10SE, :confused:

2. Matty N

Matty N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    By 'THX mode' I am assuming you mean the likes of Home THX Theatre (for ProLogic), THX 5.1 processing and (maybe) THX Surround EX.

THX is a double sided coin, one side being the labelling of products against satisfying strict(!) specifications and the other being the post-processing of of Home Cinema Surround channels to offer a more 'cinema-like' sound.

THX certification offers good quality (though not necessarily the best) audio components such as amplifiers and speakers, and also software such as DVD's (T2 R1), VHS videos (original triplet of Remastered Star Wars films), and even Home Theatre PC's in the US. Any of these items will offer benefits to your speakers and the sound reproduction quality you experience.

THX post-processing adjusts the soundtrack on movies (which in many cases is near identical to that found in movie theatres) for the home environment, channel separation is improved, channels are more tonally balanced and overbrightness is reduced. Consequently, THX often sounds bigger, louder and has more impact than conventional ProLogic/5.1/6.1.

So in answer to my interpretation to your question, if the movie soundtrack sounds better using it - stick with it. THX is a reference standard that costs manufacturers a lot to implement it so if it sounds good to you, don't be afraid to use it.

Hope that (tired) attempt helps,

Matt

3. nickeng

nickeng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Pioneer 909 which is THX, and I current Run it with Tannoy MX3s...sound great to me...

I am sure that THX speakers would sound better (well i would hope so, the cheapest i have seen is £2,000 and the Tanoys where £250...) but at the moment Tannoys is it...

So if your question is can I, the answer is yes...just buy good speakers...

Out of interest i wanted the Kef Q55..could not go that far at this point in time, but I hope to update the speakers over the next year or so...

:)

4. jimcarney

jimcarney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks guys ,
    Will update you on my findings ,I watched some DVDs & it was definetly louder in THX mode will get back to you
    Jim

5. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The reason THX mode sounds 'louder' is because it defeats Dolby's Dialogue Normalization circuit internally.

DN is (supposed to be) used to equate overall volume level between different Dolby Digital sources. It doesn't always work like that in reality, but that's what is for.

THX mode turns this off, so a soundtrack mastered with a DN level of -4 relative to reference will sound 4db louder. 4db is quite a bit, certainly enough to make the sound seem 'bigger' and 'better' but it really isn't doing a huge lot.

The two main areas where THX mode really does some good is the re-eq of the front channels and the decorrelation of mono surrounds.

THX certification of hardware requires that it meets certain performance and design specifications. Useful, sometimes.

THX on DVD means absolutely nothing.

6. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    While I don't object the use of THX I don't see the point why everything has to be certified including cables.
    Sure, for amp and speakers it may make sense, but for DVD players and DVDs itself (Highlander R1 the best, sorry, worst example) it doesn't - IMHO.
    As well you should consider that THX speakers are optimized for movie soundtracks and hence might not deliver an equal stereo/music performance.
    Not a problem if you use your system for movies only but I guess most run a mixed setup ...

And if I am not mistaken soundtracks are usually remastered for the DVD releases and by that are adjusted for home use which in return would make applying THX redundant.

7. Matty N

Matty N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jim,

another reason it may sound louder could be due to the THX mode defeating the tone control. On Denon and most other amplifiers this results in a much cleaner sound, more tonally balanced (given a good source) and, strangely, better low end reproduction. This in itself will make the soundtrack appear louder.