1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

thx amp and sub bottoming ????????

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by grahamricho, Feb 21, 2002.

1. grahamricho

grahamricho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    does any body use the bass peak limiter on there amps?my denon avc a1d makes my kef sub bottom at high (not reference )levels .the bass peak limiter stops it but am i missing out?i would of thought a thx sub and thx amp would be able to reach reference levels,,,cheers graham

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    I leave my peak limiter switched off. My sub has its own cutout if its being driven too hard anyway, but I dont listen at very loud volume levels though (max -15db, normally about -20/-25db).

3. Stewart C

Stewart C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone know what reference level is on the 11SR.

What sould the volume be set at.

Regards

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    Reference level should be 00db on the volume level.

Or (depending to what level you have balanced your speakers to, 75db or 85db) the corresponding volume level. Mines balanced to 75db showing -15db on the display.

Feel free to wind it up to reference level if you want as long as your ears can handle it!!

5. Stewart C

Stewart C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't do that Jase my friend. It has been reported that the only slight technical fault with the 11SR is that at 00db it is far too loud and is certainly not reference level.

Stuart Robinson suggested as much as 20db's out. I would not be happy at -20db's from 00db's and use like yourself -15 and the volume sounds about right, but it would be nice to know for sure.

I set my speakers up to 75db's and the reading when I do the speaker set up is 00db's.

Like yourself -15 must be just about right on mine too.

Regards

6. titan

titan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The problem you have here i would suspect is that the KEF sub is poorley built and as you buy it is not capable of Thx reference output. i have some sugestions.

First of all i suggest taking out the driver and making sure the box is properely sealed (mine leaked like a sive.) by running sealant around any and all corners

Replace the crappy foam with some proper acoustic dampening material.

silicon in the led to stop it rattling.

Place a very large and heavy slab of concrete or marble or granite (black is nice) on the top of the sub

After all that you may just get the performance you paid for.

Nathan