1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

THX 5.1 newb here goes

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by gil2, Apr 30, 2005.

1. gil2

gil2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey guys yup another newb , gime a break , have a read and shove some ideas my way if ya got any please

ok connected to my 5.1 digital sb live sound card on my pc i have a THX altec lansing ada995 setup and its amazing , i love THX or 5.1 and this lot blows me away , so its been niggling me now for ages to get the lounge sounding good as well

my telly is a fab philips 36Inch and one of the dvd players is a dvdr panasonic recorder with dts capabilitys amongst other things , sound wise i have a pair of mission M73`s hooked up to a NADC320BEE and matching CD 521BEE

i have had a read around the site but TBH theres so much to choose from i dont know where to start , i`d like to keep the price right down and still have a damn good sound .....plus keep the missions as fronts if thats possible

i`d love a THX setup but its prob way too expensive , so what do i look at , i`m gona need an amp , sub , center and rears

what ya rekon guys , keep the price down and quality up , holy grail maybe , but there must be something :thumbsup:

actually scrape keeping the missions , there in such damned awkward places theyd be no good for the telly surround anyway

2. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    giving a budget would greatly help spur on the guys here, they love a challenge! would you prefer a "all in one" satellite speaker setup or seperate, big speakers?
    If keeping your missions and stereo setup for music i would suggest getting satellites and a sub as it will look much better than hundreds of big speakers.

3. gil2

gil2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah good point m8 ok , budget up to 500 squid , ha , u guys spend that on cable i appreciate that , but i`m not a miwionaire :D , so thats me budgy , £500 , hit me with yer best shots guys , i`m a itchin to get stuck in at my local richer sounds :clap:

4. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
  5. gil2

gil2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks chedmaster

you have helped on both my posts , much appreciated friend , gona have a good look at the links ya have given < rubs hands together > lookin forward to this

at the mo the telly has pro logic with surround speakers that are RCF`s a little known manufacturer , i found them in a disused night club and replaced the drivers coz they where blown , what amazed me was the circuitry inside , damn big fuses and all sorts of wierd things , like looking inside an old valve tv , anyway i`m looking forward to a decent sound with a niceish amp and decent steering , the old pro logic is horrible with a single channel at the back

6. gil2

gil2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. gil2

gil2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    after havin looked at those speakers chedmaster and havin spoken with my asthetics guru ( the wife ) i have been told grrrr that discrete is better for speakers , personaly i prefer damn big things , but if i`m to pull this off i`m gona need discrete if not invisible speakers , any further thoughts on those m8 , maybe something a bit smaller in the satellite area , i could hide the sub , but the sats show

8. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    if you could stretch the budget, mordaunt shaunt genies or something, maybe these? http://www.av-sales.com/html/canton_movie_10-mx_ii.html ive never had mini satellites as im not a fan of flat, boring speakers made up with subs really, i prefer full bass all round. someone else?

9. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
  10. gil2

gil2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    [​IMG]
    hope this works

this is what i have to put up with , its approx 30 ft long but a bugger to get the sound right , not being square on when sat down makes it hard to position speakers

11. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    thats not very surround friendly at all! maybe centre on top of tv and left and right high up and then pick a sofa to put the rears behind!

12. gil2

gil2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah , yer right of course m8 , i usually sit on the top sofa in the drawing , but rear speaker positioning is out of the question , had a serious look around last night , with the good lady saying " what r u doing " all the time <snigger> and it looks like i`m going to put the rear speakers left and right behind the bottom sofa , sub anywhere realy and front left and right up by the telly ........ya see its here my mind starts to think about a cieling projector and a screen that drops doen in front of the patio doors , no good during the day but at night , just the job , sitting on the botom sofa would mean easier speaker placement for the front 2 and square on from the bottom sofa .......pye in the sky maybe ......but worth thinking about non the less , just need a relative to leave some buncers :)

13. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    or a plasma screen above the fireplace :)

14. gil2

gil2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    u is on the mark there m8 , sell the philips and get a plas , mmmmm , nah she wouldt do it and putting 2 x dvd players and 2 x sat boxs in the fireplace she defo wouldnt go for , hehe i need to put em close ....cabling and all that , nah i`l just have to sit on the other sofa if i get setup right with the speakers ( see my post in the speaker section and please please comment m8 u been brill )