Thunderbolt Display

B

bazmunro7

Thinking of buying a 27inch thunderbolt display to go with my new MBP but has anyone got one and can tell me first hand what it's like? Is it an over-priced glorified screen or is it a nice bit of kit to allow the transition between laptop to desktop use?

Cheers Barry

It's a cracking bit of kit and, incidentally, there is one in the For Sale section here at the moment (I can vouch for the seller too, he's a good guy!) :)

It can be a bog-standard screen if you want, but a very good one at that. Great resolution, great size, great colours and viewing angles, just great. But with a Thunderbolt MBP it becomes a docking station, with pass-through for devices and Ethernet as well as the screen. It also has a power connection so you really don't need anything other than your MBP to use it fully! It's the closest you'll find to an MBP docking station, but with a great screen thrown in for good measure ;)

Thanks mate

i really do fancy one and i've seen it in the shop but just wanted to know first hand if it is that good. I seen the lad in the forum selling one and i made him an offer but he wanted a little more so good luck to him.

barry

IMO, it is that good. It seems a lot of money, but it's a professional grade display regardless of the other tech' inside it. Displays of this quality cost a lot.

Picked up a thunderbolt display this afternoon and just hooked it up and wow its awesome, really look forward to using it!

Good news! Make sure you come back and post your thoughts on it here, I'm sure others will be interested. :)

The only thing stopping me from buying one of these is that you don't seem to be able to use it as a "normal" monitor. My current monitor I also use with an old PC using an old monitor lead and it is very useful.

cheers
M

I would seriously consider it if it accepted HDMI in, it would be nice to be able to use it as a universal display

So far the quality and sharpness of the screen is second to none which allows editing pictures easier. The use of HDMI was not a concern for me because I can stream movies etc through apple tv which is connected to my tv. If I were to spend anymore time on my laptop then my bird would leave me haha

The only thing stopping me from buying one of these is that you don't seem to be able to use it as a "normal" monitor. My current monitor I also use with an old PC using an old monitor lead and it is very useful.

cheers
M

That's one reason I ended up deciding not to get one. They look really good but £900 is a lot of cash considering how restricted you are to what you can connect to it, plus you only get a 1 year warranty... on a 900 quid monitor?! The Dell I'd been looking at came with 3 years and even the cheapy Samsung I've got has a 2 year warranty.

bazmunro7 said:
So far the quality and sharpness of the screen is second to none which allows editing pictures easier. The use of HDMI was not a concern for me because I can stream movies etc through apple tv which is connected to my tv. If I were to spend anymore time on my laptop then my bird would leave me haha

Second to many professional grade monitors mate (which cost even more).

Fozzybear said:
That's one reason I ended up deciding not to get one. They look really good but £900 is a lot of cash considering how restricted you are to what you can connect to it, plus you only get a 1 year warranty... on a 900 quid monitor?! The Dell I'd been looking at came with 3 years and even the cheapy Samsung I've got has a 2 year warranty.

They need a longer warranty though as don't last as long or have the Apple good will with their aftercare!

Fozzybear said:

You can get AppleCare on it, also extending worldwide warranty to 3 years. Available for £54 from here:

http://www.jigsaw24.com/product-details/mc262za/apple-display-3-year-applecare-protection-plan

So a better device needs a shorter warranty? And it's fine that you have to pay even more to get a similar warranty on a much, much more expensive item? Sorry but that's just plain idiotic.

So a better device needs a shorter warranty? And it's fine that you have to pay even more to get a similar warranty on a much, much more expensive item? Sorry but that's just plain idiotic.

Completly agree with this although surely the sales of goods act comes into play here? If my £900 moniter broke after 13 months I would bloody well demand a replacement

You paid for a longer warranty on your Samsung. You just didn't notice, as it was included in the purchase price. Don't think you got it for free, it all adds to the cost.

But it really isn't a big deal. If you're looking at professional grade monitors because you need one (and lets be honest, most consumers do not) you would factor in the cost of any additional warranty, support or services you need and want. An additional £54 on top of the cost of this calibre of monitor is nothing if you need this calibre of monitor.

If you settled for a 'cheapy Samsung' monitor, you didn't need and wouldn't benefit from a monitor like this, so you were looking at the wrong product to begin with making any warranty discussion a moot point to you.

johnbusby said:
Completly agree with this although surely the sales of goods act comes into play here? If my £900 moniter broke after 13 months I would bloody well demand a replacement

£900 is irrespective. Sale of Goods Act is the same regardless of spend.

£900 is irrespective. Sale of Goods Act is the same regardless of spend.

Yes but the price of the item should, at least in some way, imply its quality. For example, if I buy a cheap pair of shoes and they fall apart after 2 months then that would seem reasonable however it would not be reasonable for a £200 pair of shoes to fall apart in this time

As far as I know the entire Sales of Goods Act revolves around this idea of reasonableness and in my view the price paid does feed into this

Getting a apple display for video editing,gaming rtc do I need a apple keyboard And mouse to get the best as not much desk room
Thanks

Getting a apple display for video editing,gaming rtc do I need a apple keyboard And mouse to get the best as not much desk room
Thanks

What do you hope to connect to this Mac display? As others have already stated earlier in this thread it's connectivity is extremely limited.

I have recently purchased a Mac Mini, I like the small compact keyboard but the magic mouse went back. Both are down to personal preference but from my experience the compact keyboard has more fans than the mouse.

At work and amongst my friends only one person uses the magic mouse yet most use the compact apple keyboard.

What do you hope to connect to this Mac display? As others have already stated earlier in this thread it's connectivity is extremely limited.

I have recently purchased a Mac Mini, I like the small compact keyboard but the magic mouse went back. Both are down to personal preference but from my experience the compact keyboard has more fans than the mouse.

At work and amongst my friends only one person uses the magic mouse yet most use the compact apple keyboard.
Has the apple compact keyboard not been discontined
If not were can I get one link?

Has the apple compact keyboard not been discontined
If not were can I get one link?

Ah yes after a quick google search I see what you mean. Matt_C has posted the url of the wireless keyboard I was referring to, the description of 'compact' is my own addition and not Apples, sorry for the confusion.

Until I did the search I did not realise there was a 'wired compact keyboard' which as you have already stated has been deleted.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom