1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thunderbirds (live action) Chunderbirds or Thunderturds?

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by MartinImber, Jun 27, 2004.

1. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Well I have seen enough due to the Busted video on The Hits.

Well the vehicles are wrong the uniforms wrong and the acting is worse.

Currently watching the first epsode of the TV series to educate my children

2. Harj

Harj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I've just seen the trailer on tv, comfirms my worst fears, its about kids rescuing the thunderbirds, why oh why? also the cgi looks very ropey.

3. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,594
    ain't gonna be seeing this.....why the hell use kids?

4. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I suppose they could always have attached wires to the actors to make it a little more realistic... ;)
    The story revolves around the 4 elder Tracy brothers being kidnapped by the Hood...which leaves the youngest of the brothers (Alan I believe) to rescue the other 4...
    HOEW DARE THEY TURN A CLASSIC INTO WHAT LOOKS LIKE A FUN ACTION FAMILY MOVIE!!! :D

I for one can't wait for this...and I'll be taking my 16 year old son, who is even more excited about it than me...

Accepted, the uniforms have been changed...they look like spacesuits now, what is someone would wear if they went into ....space... :rolleyes:

I can't see to much wrong with the ships though...TB2 rear rocket thrusters have changed shape from round to rectangle...but I think that's all I could see.

Type in Thunderbirds The Movie into Google, and you'll see this actually dosen't look that bad. Test audiences (of ALL ages) in Britain and America - including members of the official fan club, and the great Gerry Anderson, have all given it 2 thumbs up...good enough for me. :thumbsup:

5. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,882
    PHP:
    and I'll be taking my 16 year old son
    At least mine is only 6 , so he can accept full responsibility , if it is really bad :rotfl:

6. mikeq

mikeq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Saw the trailer for this at Shrek2. Looks really good and I'm looking forward to it, but then again I hate the original Thunderbirds.

7. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Fatal Differences - from the Busted video

Car is not a Rolls Royce

TB2 does not use PODS, it also has odd looking jet tailpipes, and the boosters on the tail plane are missing.

TB1 now is nose wheel undercarriage - used to be skids on the wings and the tail.

TB3 Can't tell

TB4 looks wrong

TB5 totally different

No Sean Connery lookalikes noticed (Scott model).

No blue uniforms.

Only character who looks at all right is The Hood!

8. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +550
    Out of interest - who did the film studio buy the right from to make this film? Was it the Anderson's? If so you would think that they would want more control over their franchise.

9. mikeq

mikeq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rolls Royce wouldn't do it, they were asked first. Ford are the only ones that said yes.

10. mikeq

mikeq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe they did, and maybe the Andersons like what is now in the movie. You are making an assumption that they have no control over it.

11. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Yeah the trailer came on while i was at the flicks watching Harry potter, my girlfriend turned to me & said we have to come and see this. i said you must be having a laugh love no way in hell am i watching this film, i hate the whole thunderbird thing. but she's the boss and i'll have to go watch it, oh well i could always :boring: through it :rotfl:

12. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I grew up with Anderson series - to me they were the best childrens TV ever.

My 4 year old boys properly watched the Fireflash episode last night and they were glued to it

13. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    I'm with Martin on this. Of all the tv remakes of the last 10 years it is Thunderbirds that i'm most upset and worried about. my first memory of "wanting" to watch TV was to watch thunderbirds. i was hoping that it was going to be good but i dont think it will be.

it should never have been given to an american to direct, he has no feeling for the material.

I remember watching the "fireflash: bomb on under carriage" episode on a tv screen at the virgin megastore on a saturday afternoon - about a hundred people all over the store just watching - not shopping - just watching and cheering when it got down safe.

Gary

14. robyoung

robyoung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    I was looking forward to this, but after seeing the trailer i'm not so sure! I loved it as a kid and wanted this to be good, but looks like it is aimed more towards the Spy Kids audience than adults & children.

Having a kid rescue the Thunderbirds kind of undermines the whole Thunderbird thing really doesnt it!? they're heroes they dont need rescuing by a kid!
    Would've been much better if they whole crew had to save the world from something the Hood did. ah well.

might wait for rental.

Rob :)

15. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    To coin a phrase from the classic series, with regard to the feature film "It will be a great disaster".

Hans Zimmer sound track? What is wrong with Barry Gray?

Anderson was completely snubbed on this production. I believe that Jonathan Frakes has actually personally apologised to him for the way the studio dispensed with his input.

On the other end of the spectrum (no Anderson pun intended) Peter Jackson actually had a personal consultation with Ray Harryhausen to seek his approval for the conceptual design of Kong, for the new film.

See, there's a right way and wrong way to do things.

16. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,578
    'Thunderbirds' was owned by Lew Grade who financed it originally. Ownership then passed (merged?) to ITC the assets of which were brought by Carlton recently. Presumably it was they who sold the rights. Anderson has no input over the new film - but that doesn't mean it's bad....

17. ewin

ewin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wish folk would stop giving this film a hard time.No wonder it might bomb with people keep going that it not like the tv series.
    1. the thunderbird craft have been changed to give it a more up to date feel.But the style and shape is still there.
    2.The old style of outfit would look so stupid today and those ugly looking hats .The new outfits work well in keeping a space look to them.
    3.The film is out to get the kids,not adults who watched th tv series many moons ago.that is why the tracy bros look youngner than the tv series.The kids are the target .
    Seen the trailer on tv just the now and looking that it a film on it`s own it look really good and i know that my 4 year old son is going daft about seeing it at the cinema. If the film is rubbish then ok ,but it could rather good.
    Just can`t see it making much money against spiderman2 at the box office.
    p.s Also i `ve heard that gerry anderson has seen it and said it was good.That`s the only problem i have with it was the lack of anderson input on the film.a shame on u mr frakes.

18. chard

chard
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This film will not bomb just because people say it will - it will bomb because they are clearly repeating mistakes.

I am a fan of the original - but that trailer is awfull. The original series was aimed for children but it didn't talk down to them, there were NO kids in the original series. Why on earth do modern film makers feel they need to put in annoying kids to make other kids watch !? Jurassic Park, Lost World anyone ?

I have no problem with them modernising the uniforms and Thunderbirdds 'world', but turning this into Spykids 5 or whatever is just wrong.

19. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Well said, I have to agree on that 100%. :lesson:

20. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    For children in films, please refer to Assault On Precinct 13. I rest my case :thumbsup:

21. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,536

Although I was one of the few that seemed to like the first trailer, with the news of the kids in it I definitely will not be going. It reminds me of the phase that cartoon went through introducing cutesy/young animals. :thumbsdow

As to Gerry Anderson he was a genius but I thought is latter series were not up to much such as Space Precinct and Terrahawks.

22. chard

chard
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LOL :clap:

23. Achy

Achy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Anderson was interviewed on Radio 2 the other day, he was invited along to a meal with the producers (by one of them), (I can't remember names), but one of them literally sat there for 2 minutes then had to go.

Gerry was a bit gutted, as he thought they would be interested in his views on the film. He got a letter a couple of weeks later saying thanks for your interest but they already had enough consultants !!!!

To say that to the original creator.... what a shame.

He also said he hadn't seen the film and if it does well then he wants people to know he had nothing to do with it, and if it does badly he DEFINITELY wants people to know he had nothing to do with it !!!!

He's working on a new kids animated series of Captain Scarlet.

24. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I'm a long time fan of mr anderson and have admired all of his work (with the exception of the excruciating terrahawks-phooee!) but have always felt that his weakness was using americans for the lead roles - I can understand his reasoning - the american market, but the forthcoming thunderbirds film is on imminent release - I'v just seen the trailer this morning and whilst I'm okay with the new ships, it comes across as something akin to spy kids and looks to appeal more to teens than to adults and the few english gestures are nothing more than token - I may be wrong, I have'nt seen the film (& don't intend to) but its thunderbirds BY americans FOR americans. :thumbsdow

25. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    who is playing Parker?

Gary